Newbie wheel and hub questions - Fanatec

I'm new here, obviously... and just received my first bit of gear. I'm 3 weeks or so away from my frame getting here but just got my Fanatec universal hub and classic wheel in the mail.
Not sure why I bought the classic wheel but it's fine for my MX5 racing in iRacing as I work my way up. My real questions are what should i do when i want more buttons and switches for GT3 and F1 racing? I have simple buttons and one rotary on this hub but what's normal for most folks? Do i swap out the classic wheel for a GT3 and use custom labels? Then for F1 do i by another hub altogether just for that?

I obviously dont want to rebuild and relabel each time but what options are there? I see all sorts of custom setups but most seem to be usb and aren't plug and pray with the CSW 2.5 i have. Do i just stay in the Fanatec camp for F1 and GT3? Just trying to understand what options are out there as someone new getting my feet wet.

Thanks all!

My suggestion (I am assumming you will be doing all your racing in iRacing and on a PC), is:
1: Do really need more buttons/switches?
a. You currently should have 12 buttons and a "Funky Switch" (with practical assignments/'most used' should accomadate 90% of your needs
b. If not, add add a DSD button box P1 or P2 $ (and if necessary download/install "JoytoKey" to program Button Box and/or Wheel profiles) OR a Streamdeck XL $$
2. For F1/GT3, (buy new wheel) I would suggest the the Fantatec CS Formula Carbon $$ (or second hand CS Formula Aluminum $) OR if you think your really going to go "Pro" and have the driving skills to use the extra Rotary Switches on the fly Fanatec CSF V2 $$$.
3. Suggest Fanatec CS Rim GT Forza (not alcanta) to potentially replace your 'Classic 2' wheel for a more 'GT feel'.

Lots of ways to go, but just start by enjoying what you have.:)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your feedback, truly appreciated. I'll likely buy a different GT type wheel or pull one from one of my cars. I'll definitely buy an F1 wheel but not likely the priciest ones. I'm trying to learn all i can and frankly these wheels are more complicated than what's in my endurance car and it has an AIM dash plus streaming data and comms.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea