New to Pc's need advice

Hi All my Name is Rory....

I'm from Australia and just want to thank u in advance for any advice.

I am getting a computer off a mate for $250 which is a Alienware X51 with these specs

Intel core i7 3770 3.4GHz
16GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD Sata Hard Disk
NO Optical Drive
Geforce GTX 660 Video Card: 1.5GB
Interface:
USB 3.0
NIC (RJ45) Port
HDMI Port
2x DVI Port
Displayport

Will this run rfactor2 ok or Will I need a better graphcs card or better computer overall.

Hope u can give advice...I know alot of people hate Alienware.. ..

I don't hate Alienware, their prices are insane however.
I think you'd be pushing it with the 660, but the CPU is very good.
My advice would be that's a decent price on that box I would buy it then wait and see what the minimum specs for ACC are.
You could always drop a 1050ti in it later if you need to.

CPU, RAM are fine. The price is cheap for that hardware. I’m running a gtx1080ti on that hardware. So it can handle any graphic card.

But a gtx 660 is a low end graphic card.

What graphics cards depends on your your budget and space in the case.

A gtx780ti is still a good enough card for 1 screen at 1920x1080. And a second-hand gtx780ti is cheaper and better as a 1050ti.

Is it the "k" version of the CPU or the standard one?
I ask because the k versions get be overclocked a lot, very easily and give a boost that makes it good enough for all modern games.
I have a 2600k at 4.4 GHz (non k would be at 3.5 GHz). When I go back to stock settings I struggle with assetto corsa, raceroom, wreckfest, Witcher 3, assassin's creed etc.

Rfactor 2 however is really casual on the CPU so that should be fine without the "k"

The 660 is indeed quite old and was only average back then. I had a 560ti and a 760 and while you will be able to run the games at 60 fps, it won't be really enjoyable. No anti aliasing, no eye candy. But it will run :)

Used 780ti is a good option although it's power usage is high! You'd need to check the psu specs for it.
A current gen 1050ti or 1060 will always be okay no matter how low your psu is!

It will run but the 1.5 GB VRAM on the GPU will be seriously limiting (regular GTX 660 has 2 GB so this is probably some stripped-off OEM version of that card). Almost all official content in rF2 is designed with at least 2 GB GPU in mind, so you'd have to lower texture detail for cars and tracks quite significantly if you want to run big grids with modern content like the GT3/Endurance pack.

A late thought: use GPU-Z to make sure the motherboard's PCIe is running in 3.0 mode.
upload_2018-6-26_15-13-52.png

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea