New Performance Toolkit to VR

Sadly openvr_foveated doesn't work as well as the vrperfkit for me.

The VRS mode doesn't do anything (I'm using a 3080Ti so it's within spec) and the alternative method has a strange effect where it captures whatever is on screen as it loads up (or if you disable then enable it) and you see that as a ghost image with perhaps 20% opacity over the game.

Even with that the performance saving was not nearly as great as with vrperfkit.

Last edited:
I tend not to use the outer ring at all, and have that at max radius so it has no effect. Could be that the OpenXR implementation is a bit different to the one I'm using though.

I'm also on a Valve Index so the peripheral stuff is less 'in your face' than on a G2 for example.
Im also on an index and looking for more FPS as rain seems to really impact it (drops from 120 down to 40 in shutoko). Do I need to install open composite, open xr… or just vrperfkit? It’s all a bit confusing!

Im also on an index and looking for more FPS as rain seems to really impact it (drops from 120 down to 40 in shutoko). Do I need to install open composite, open xr… or just vrperfkit? It’s all a bit confusing!

I've tried all three and vrperfkit has the best result. I only use that.

Both heavy rain and shutoko are expensive. You'll simply have to claw back performance elsewhere. If you can lower the resolution slightly you might find that you can hit 80hz consistently and run the headset at that.

I keep mine at 90hz and occasionally in very demanding scenarios I switch it to 80hz. Thankfully you can do that on the fly in game without issue.

I've tried all three and vrperfkit has the best result. I only use that.

Both heavy rain and shutoko are expensive. You'll simply have to claw back performance elsewhere. If you can lower the resolution slightly you might find that you can hit 80hz consistently and run the headset at that.

I keep mine at 90hz and occasionally in very demanding scenarios I switch it to 80hz. Thankfully you can do that on the fly in game without issue.
Thanks. Do you know of a good install guide (I’ve had a look). The GitHub one it a bit above my level of competence. I need things spelled out/ demonstrated. Preferably in video format

No idea if there's a video out there for this but I'll see if I can put it simply:

To install:
Go here: https://github.com/fholger/vrperfkit/releases/tag/v0.3
Click on vrperfkit_v0.3.zip to download it
Open up your Steam game library and right click on Assetto Corsa, then Properties>Installed Files>Browse... this will open up the assettocorsa game folder window
Put this window to one side
Now open up the zip file you downloaded and copy the contents of it by selecting all of them and dragging them into the assettocorsa folder

To configure:
One of the files you just put inside the assettocorsa folder is called vrperfkit.yml
Open this file with notepad to edit it
When you save the file make sure its not changed the extension to .txt
If it did change the extension you need to change it back to .yml

To use:
Just play the game. It will run in the background when the game loads without you having to do anything.

Last edited:
For my Valve Index I personally use these settings which I find help combat some aliasing but keep a pretty sharp image. I use these in conjunction with 200% supersampling and 93% FOV in SteamVR

VRPERFKIT.YML SETTINGS
upscaling:
enabled: true
method: cas
renderScale: 0.95
sharpness: 0.55
radius: 0.6
applyMipBias: true

fixedFoveated:
enabled: true
innerRadius: 0.6
midRadius: 0.8
outerRadius: 1.0
favorHorizontal: true

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 41 12.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 42 12.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 39 11.9%
  • Friday

Votes: 112 34.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 193 58.8%