New monitor is really terrible

If my GPU is a 4080, how important is it to select a Gsync compatible monitor?
You always want it, you would have to have a fairly slow ~120hz monitor to always get 120 and even then, you wont without turning down settings.

edit, i hear it is common even with 4090 and triples to get under 100 so if it was me it would be mandatory.

Last edited:
Either gsync compatible CERTIFIED (otherwise you'll run into random issues like no gsync with triples, no gsync when vertically flipped, no dldsr + gsync etc).
OR you get 165 Hz or even 240 Hz. At such high Hz, you don't need any sync. The monitor refreshes so fast, that you won't see the tears anymore.
And it saves you from setting up gsync, making sure that it's really running, always limiting the fps, bugs without true fullscreen etc.
Also overlays like ACC Drive or SimHub aren't possible with gsync. They will "catch" the gsync control whenever they refresh.

I have a 3440x1440 gsync monitor (gsync module, not "compatible") with 120 Hz and two small 24" that are for office stuff, but happen to be gsync compatible certified and 165 Hz.
I can set them to 50/60/85/100/120/144/165 Hz.
144 Hz aren't enough for me to not need gsync but 165 Hz are okay.

One friend has a 240 Hz monitor and that's a tiny bit smoother and I can't notice the unsynced frames at all, even when trying to notice it. At 165 Hz, I can, if I really focus. But it's smooth enough to enjoy it and don't be bothered.
And another friend has gsync compatible, but not certified triples and he has his monitors flipped to get the image closer to the wheel shaft extension (smaller bezel at the top).
I sat down for 6 hours. No gsync when flipped, no gsync with surround.

• Deleted member 197115

OR you get 165 Hz or even 240 Hz. At such high Hz, you don't need any sync. The monitor refreshes so fast, that you won't see the tears anymore.
Not in my experience unless you run at such high fps.

Is Gsync capability aimed at handling the lower refresh rates, then? And if so, when running triple monitors and the GPU is fully tasked, do the monitors tend to become the bottleneck for the refresh rate, or is the limit because of GPU performance? Since my concern with monitors was limited to image quality, and the gamer's concern is refresh rate and screen tearing, I am truly in uncharted waters here.

Usually a combination of gpu and cpu will cause the sim to not be able to render to a higher fixed refresh rate, e.g. 120hz. That is when you start to get tearing when the monitor is fixed at a certain refresh rate and the pc cannot keep up with it.
A gsync monitor has a variable refresh rate that can match what the pc is currently able to do, thus eliminating the screen tearing that can happen when they are not matching.
So to answer your question, yes it is primarily aimed to remove tearing when the game produces fps lower than a monitors fixed refresh rate.

gsync monitor has a variable refresh rate that can match what the pc is currently able to do
So, if I understand correctly, Gsync slows the refresh rate rendered by the monitors (as needed) to avoid running away from the PC. Is that a reasonable way to think of it?

So, if I understand correctly, Gsync slows the refresh rate rendered by the monitors (as needed) to avoid running away from the PC. Is that a reasonable way to think of it?
It adjusts the monitors refresh rate to match what the computer is doing so that there is no tearing. It will spend all of its time doing this while the computer is not able to keep up with the monitors max refresh rate.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.