Montreal Formula E track removed for rfactor 2?

Hello There! On Steam, I registered and really enjoyed the Montreal Formula E track for rfactor2. Unfortunately, the creator removed it and I can't play it anymore because it was removed from my computer. It is frustrating and honestly quite idiotic that someone could remove a track from your own computer. This shouldn't be done this way. If you download something, you own and keep it.

I really enjoyed this track. Is there is any way it could be re posted or be available somewhere? This really sucks cause it was one, if not, my favorite track. If someone could help me retrieve it or re post it, I would really appreciate it.

Honestly this why I harp people to look at manual backup.

Manual backup takes no more space then letting steam look after 3rd party content the difference being anything you store yourself can't be removed or deleted until you wish not steam.

Only rule is there is certain content steam will store no matter, that is all DLC and 60+ S397 items.

Everything else you can copy to archives to store then unsubscribe in steam.

Only downside is everything you store you must check for updates manually by looking in 2 dropdown lists " Updated" and "Recent" , it is not very hard.
Resub updated items, remove from content to storage then unsub, is that easy.
Using Beyond Compare takes minutes once a week as there are not many content updates 95 % is "race events" and league packs.

Upside with this method, nothing can be deleted unless you want.
You can activate little or as much as you want which means you control archive space, etc.

This is list of content must be stored.
bc rf2 list.jpg

Beyond Compare you can use free version but is worth buying to manage all sims content not just rF2 ............ https://www.scootersoftware.com/

This is how I store all rF2s content that you don't have to subscribe to, you then just point Beyond Compare to one of your archives and compare rF2 content folder.
In Mod Manager you add archive lists , you can use as many "packages" folders as you wish.

bc rf2 02.jpg

There you see 300 packages ( 85GB) I store and control manually. ;)

Last edited:
hey just an update here. I was able to found a copy of the track that I wisely saved away in one of my drives. Tried to insall it on rfactor 2 locations folder and it did not work. Worse: it erased itself after trying to get it going. Why? I want to use the track for myself only and here is this software erasing what I am trying to install. I am sad to see that rfactor2 is not only a bomb for graphics rendition but it is not gamer friendly like rfactor1 was. There is no excuse on why not play on a track that you downloaded legitimately. I don't get it at all and I would like to haver a direct answer from the devlopers or somebody tells me how to re install my file correctly. The Montreal Formula E track is one of my favorite tracks and, for personal use, I would like to use it again. What is so wrong with that?

hey just an update here. I was able to found a copy of the track that I wisely saved away in one of my drives. Tried to insall it on rfactor 2 locations folder and it did not work. Worse: it erased itself after trying to get it going. Why? I want to use the track for myself only and here is this software erasing what I am trying to install. I am sad to see that rfactor2 is not only a bomb for graphics rendition but it is not gamer friendly like rfactor1 was. There is no excuse on why not play on a track that you downloaded legitimately. I don't get it at all and I would like to haver a direct answer from the devlopers or somebody tells me how to re install my file correctly. The Montreal Formula E track is one of my favorite tracks and, for personal use, I would like to use it again. What is so wrong with that?
I dunno, why don't you ask iRacing after you stop paying if you can keep using their tracks?
(sorry for being snarky)
I'm assuming this track was a third party release? I haven't paid attention to fE so if I misconstrue the if this was an official release, my appologies.
This comes down to ownership. You think, because you downloaded the track legitimately, that you own the track. This sounds more of a Steam issue rather than S397, but I'll leave that for now. If I understand your original post, the creator of the track, for whatever reason, withdrew his permission for users to continue using the results of his effort & skill. That is his right, he was freely sharing his work, now he is not. So why blame S397, or Steam for that matter, for simply following the wishes of the track modder?
Do we even know if the track was itself legal and not a rip? I don't know, I'm just trying to explore any one of many reasons why a track is no longer available in the Workshop.
Yes it is a shame that you and others can no longer use that track, but unless you purchased it(purchased, not iRacing leased) from the creator/distributor then you have no real claim to the continued use. Thank the track builder for providing entertainment you experienced in the past. I'm sure there is someone in our user base who could rename all the files so that it is no longer recognized by Steam but that is not an avenue I would support.

Yeah I have had rFactor2 since first builds and for years have used archive backup
for most content ( now for all content less required by Steam)
Never had a issue installing content although very occasionally a new package downloaded from other then Steam Workshop won't install via Mod Manager and you must use install in game content manager instead but only 2/3 packages I know of and I think they have been replaced by workshop versions I now install manually everything. For that reason I don't think has anything to do with subscribed or not.

One reason is if you run rfmods that contain all workshop content at least once and if those mods are kept installed nothing can be deleted, not from Steam or workshop or even old versions of all DLC.

One reason for that is so leagues and online can run and test 2 versions of any content they wish, when they are satisfied they will delete the old room mods thus deleting old workshop versions or maybe they will keep them. If they do Steam can't do a thing about it.

Again ISI get no credit for a system that actually lets you run 2 or more versions of any content ! No other sim does let alone make offline or online server and swap between 25 different car models not only without leaving the server but with out leaving the garage ! again no other sim does these things but no credit given .. lol :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah I have had rFactor2 since first builds and for years have used archive backup
for most content ( now for all content less required by Steam)
Never had a issue installing content although very occasionally a new package downloaded from other then Steam Workshop won't install via Mod Manager and you must use install in game content manager instead but only 2/3 packages I know of and I think they have been replaced by workshop versions I now install manually everything. For that reason I don't think has anything to do with subscribed or not.

One reason is if you run rfmods that contain all workshop content at least once and if those mods are kept installed nothing can be deleted, not from Steam or workshop or even old versions of all DLC.

One reason for that is so leagues and online can run and test 2 versions of any content they wish, when they are satisfied they will delete the old room mods thus deleting old workshop versions or maybe they will keep them. If they do Steam can't do a thing about it.

Again ISI get no credit for a system that actually lets you run 2 or more versions of any content ! No other sim does let alone make offline or online server and swap between 25 different car models not only without leaving the server but with out leaving the garage ! again no other sim does these things but no credit given .. lol :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The reason for not giving accolades to ISI is that so FEW people have taken the time to learn the complicated system to achieve your results.

Oh yeah antiquated, complicated, frustrating, I point that out as much as the good
Also comes to mind, unique, surprising, rewarding
Best compliment I can give is no 2 laps are the same and no matter how many laps I done in favourite car every lap on the limit never gets old I mean never :)

For mine they should be asking their favourite developer why they can't swap cars in garage or run 2 versions of any content oh and why none of them run mods anymore ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea