Kennett's think tank - Lag and sync issues

This is one tool to reduce lags, i've used it, well, forever.. http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Leatrix Latency FAQ How It Works

Online games generally use the TCP protocol which requires that network segments sent to your computer be acknowledged in order to provide a reliable connection.

Windows bundles these acknowledgements together and sends them in pairs. While this is an efficient way of dealing with them generally, the inevitable delays caused by the bundling process increase latency considerably.

This is because when Windows queues up an acknowledgement in order to bundle it with the following one, the game server has to wait for the acknowledgement timer to expire before sending new data.

Leatrix Latency Fix removes the acknowledgement bundling process so that an acknowledgement is sent immediately for every segment that's received. This produces a significant reduction in latency as there is no longer a delay before new data is sent to your computer.

In a normal networking environment, you would prioritise network efficiency over latency and use the Windows defaults, but in online games the opposite is true and you want the lowest latency you can possibly get.

Typical Scenario

If you could listen to a conversation between your computer and the game server, this is what you would hear.

Before Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:
  • Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over to you, got it?"
  • Your computer: ...
  • Server: "Come on, answer me! I don't have all day! Stop wasting time!"
  • Your computer: ...
  • Server: "Ok, forget it, I've waited long enough, sending another one over! Got it?"
  • Your computer: "Yep, got that one, also got the one you sent before, thanks."
  • Server: "Well, why didn't you acknowledge the first one when I sent it? I was waiting ages!"
  • Your computer: "Sorry, I'm just trying to make the network more efficient by bundling the acknowledgements together in pairs. This is how I'm setup by default."
After Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:
  • Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over, got it?"
  • Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
  • Server: "That was fast! Ok, here's another, got that?"
  • Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
  • Server: "Wow! What an improvement! Now that's more like it!"
  • Your computer: "Yep, it's certainly keeping me on my toes, thanks!"

That conversation pretty much sums up why we need to change TCPAckFrequency from "pairs to singles" (lol). This fix will do it for you. i can't see any downfalls with this unless you've built a massive home network with tens or hundreds of computers..

No question there was a lag issue. However, it is a comfort that it was no surprise that there were contact from Peter's persepctive :) I think the "solution" is that one should not try a pass in that particular turn when an Aussie is involved, it should be much safer to try to outbrake into the next turn instead. As Peter sais, if one tries a pass there, only solution for other part is to back out.

I think also this illustrates the greatest amount of lag we have (Aussie vs. Aussie). Thanks for the video's guys :thumbsup:

This is one tool to reduce lags, i've used it, well, forever.. http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Thanks Kennet, i have installed your suggested tool and for now it is more for safety reason than to go out and start having close racing with the guys on track, so i guess we keep the yellow flag on my car for now and we pull it down when this tool proves we can have safer close fight ..:)

one more thing Kennet : i remember we both had sync issue at Monaco last year and you are saying you have been using it long time now, does that mean all drivers have to install this tool to get the max benefit of it or just us the "Aussies" ?

Does anyone know an uberlight network monitor&logging softwares? I would like to run a bit longer analyze, not for Race07 but for BFP4F, which disconnects often. I get rarely any issues with Race07 but would like to log those sessions too. Those i've downloaded are not light enough to not affect FPS...

I did a long and arduous process of leaning my gamerig network features, optimizing stuff and got nice results..

I stupidly didn't take any links while it was bad but values were 50-80ms ping, and at worst 30ms jitter (the difference between steady stream of packets vs "jumpy"). So i used TCPOptimizer and got new values: 20ms ping steady, no fluctuations, ten test, the same.. .jitter dropped to 2ms max...

Disabled nagling, optimized my TCPMax, plus tons of other stuff... https://duckduckgo.com/?q=TCPOptimizer

The problem was that while my Win 7 media pc was nice and steady, my XP gamerig wasn't... So while the connection could be proven solid, my network had a problem.. I hope to see impromevents until i start to help others... I got it thru by sheer luck and experimentation, 3h job. With BF:p4F there was significant change, instead of steady lagging, i got so fast that server was lagging behind.. Another hurdle since it's so random but didn't hurt my K/D in the long run... :ninja:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.