Issue with GTR 2 (Steam versions)

Not working for me, not working for a friend who accidentally purchased it. They should remove it on Steam. There is no simple fix, been searching everywhere. Always just pops up to the graphics setting window no matter what I try.

Too bad as this game was getting some kind of renaissance on Youtube. Obviously Windows 11 just killed it. :(

Last edited:
Desktops or laptops here for this problem ?
If laptop ... you have to choose the right graphic card ( not the integrated one )

If you're on Win10 or higher, your Directx 9 is originally not complete any longer, you should reinstall the full version

Here's a link for a full one ( it already helped someone else to run his crashing GTR2:

Hi - I know it's long shot but is there any chance you have CC config set to VR on and then you attempt to start GTR2 by the normal GTR.exe which WILL default you GTR2 video config to 16 bit and resolutions like 800x600 and will crash every time. Worth a check as I noticed if CC is set to VR on and you don't use the VR CMD to start GTR2 in its root folder you WILL crash every time - this is something I discovered with more recent builds of CC since summer (ish) which now require to start via the VR CMD. My crashes may be unique to my build
Good morning. Thank you for your reply. I launched the game via cmd. I don't know if I chose the right options when answering the cmd.exe questions. At the end, I have the gtr2 launcher which asks me what graphics configuration and I asked for 1920 x 1080 in 32bit. However, it works in the background but I have nothing in the HTC headset

@Apocalypse2112 - you could try one of the two things

* install Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin. Plugin tries to fix some issues in game that helps it run on modern OS.
or
* set both GTR2.exe and GTR2Config.exe to run as Administrator and in WindowsXP compatibility mode.

@thecrow53410
Are you aware of this manual: https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/GTR2_CC_EP.pdf
That said, if you have CCGEP installed correctly, to enable very basic VR simply set:
enableSteamVRRendering = 1
In CrewChief.ini.

It is possible that you are doing everything correctly but something changed (again) in SteamVR (I heard bad things in that area). Are you running SteamVR Beta?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Actually if I set both exe to both admin and XP it won't start.
I forget which I have but I know it's not 4.
It may be setting admin and config to " all users" depending on your admin status.
I will boot my new W11 on GTR2 tower and check
Already tested it worked but would not open in a smaller window for some reason
and rteverted to fullscreen resetting config.ini

I use GTR2 in window mode to check skins and for GME modding.

You can use W7 compat. mode works.

Last edited:
Sorry I was wrong, I am sure I used to use only 3 changes.
However I did find a couple funny issues.
Set modes and admin as per screenshot
If I I did not do all users for GTR2.exe it failed to boot.

Then I had issue if I removed config.ini and tested windowed mode like pic it would not work and throw up runtime error lol

First I had to set it to fullscreen and run it.
Then did windowed mode and it works fine.

GTR2 Steam version with the fix.
W11 Pro 23H2 RTX3080 latest driver, allinone runtime pack and the big DX9.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 113717.jpg

Last edited:
lool

So I just test GTR2 Standard
I set the same and copied over the config.ini
Remember I been doing fresh OS so you lose all the admin/mode settings

Booted fullscreen window mode wt... lol
Open gtr2config and 2560x1440 and windowed mode are still set.
wt .....

Ah okay ! now getting somewhere
reset config to 4K fullscreen and booted fine
reset config to 256x1440 window and booted fine.

I have had that bug forever and never knew what or why it did that.
I use a lot of windowed mode all old gmotor for maintence and I guess changing it all the time screws it unless you run fullscreen mode first appears.

Last edited:
As we all know when you do a fresh operating system all admin and compat changes are lost.

APPCOMPATABILITYVIEW
This tool will set admin and compat modes and save them for good.
All you need do is export the registry and save it after you set all your exes ( I have 20 odd )

When you do a fresh windows you just import the registry and bingo all your GTRs rFs GTLs PnGs will work straight up as long as you used the same video driver.

For people who like doing many OS installs and have many ISIMotor2.0 folders to look after this is the bees knees.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_compatibility_view.html
Get all your ISIMotor running then export and save from registry below.

Find the Microsoft registry here:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea