EA Sports WRC Is "EA Play" Account Really Necessary?

Every time I start up EA's WRC, it asks me to set up an EA Account. Thankfully, I'm able to bypass that by simply pressing <Esc>, so my question is whether I'm missing out on anything by not creating an account.?

(FWIW - Although I really dislike having to create a new account just to play a sim/game that I bought/own, I tried creating an account my first time through anyway. However, anything that I entered as a potential "EA ID" (when trying to create an account) is always declared "invalid". )

NOTE: After completing my first Time-Trial stage, WRC wouldn't allow me to post my (very mediocre) result to the online leaderboard. So, I guess that's something I'm missing. But is there anything else - especially content or feature-wise?

Thanks!

EDIT: For clarity.

Last edited:
Let me try again with a more succinct question:

I'm trying to create an EA account, but -----

Exactly what format is required to create an EA ID? I've tried anywhere from 4 to 8 characters and I get "EA ID is invalid". If I use a space and or a number, I get "invalid character".

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Let me try again with a more succinct question:

I'm trying to create an EA account, but -----

Exactly what format is required to create an EA ID? I've tried anywhere from 4 to 8 characters and I get "EA ID is invalid". If I use a space and or a number, I get "invalid character".

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Genuinely no idea. My old EA account was made back in the Battlefield 3 days.

Have you tried to create an account on www.ea.com (top of the website, the small "man" there).
And then after creating there, using that?

Finally got it working, Ole........

It turns out that I needed to link it to my Steam account, instead of creating a new EA account from scratch. By linking it to my existing Steam account, it never asked me to enter an EA ID.

Thanks for responding!

Finally got it working, Ole........

It turns out that I needed to link it to my Steam account, instead of creating a new EA account from scratch. By linking it to my existing Steam account, it never asked me to enter an EA ID.

Thanks for responding!

Oh. Well, that is a simpler solution, but also weird how it doesn't just straight up tell you that when you launch from Steam. Heh.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.