Is an i5 3570k a bottleneck with VR?

I was racing last night on tsukuba with civic hatches, so both are mods, and the server had 15 cars. I began noticing some slow down or stuttering, which I've never really noticed unless the servers ping was high. But this was an online server local to me with a very low ping. Just curious if my i5 3570k is the limiting factor in my setup. The "CPU Usage Warning" message has never popped up when playing, even during this session.

PC specs
i5 3570k
16gb ram ddr3 1600
EVGA GTX 1080 SSC

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I also have an old cpu, and I think it can not handle the AI maths.
I have been optimizing some MOD tracks, and typically, if I simplify the collision walls, and reduce the physical meshes (grass that is outside the guardrails should not be 'drive-able') and this usually fixes the 99% problem.
My cpu is an old i5-760 @ 2.8 GHz :) - the pc is 9 years old.
Since Windows 7 is getting obsolete in March 2020, I'm gonan bye a new MB+cpu+windows10 soon.

I also have an old cpu, and I think it can not handle the AI maths.
I have been optimizing some MOD tracks, and typically, if I simplify the collision walls, and reduce the physical meshes (grass that is outside the guardrails should not be 'drive-able') and this usually fixes the 99% problem.
My cpu is an old i5-760 @ 2.8 GHz :) - the pc is 9 years old.
Since Windows 7 is getting obsolete in March 2020, I'm gonan bye a new MB+cpu+windows10 soon.

This wasn't a race with bots, it was a race against other drivers online. Would that make a difference?

Yes, it is. I had the exact same CPU overclocked to 4.4 GHz. It was OK for 60 fps in traffic on 3x1080p, but fell short for 90 fps VR and I had to run AC in 45 fps reprojected mode until I upgraded it

I ran an i5-4960 with 16Gb RAM, SSD's and a 1080Ti.

I found I was VERY CPU bound. All 4 cores of my CPU were running between 90% and pegged driving my Oculus Rift. I did this for a while and got used to the performance, but when I upgraded my motherboard everything felt much smoother.

Not only is your CPU going to be a bottleneck, your memory is definitely a bottleneck. What specific memory modules do you have? You might be able to OC them to 2000Mhz which will impact performance a lot. There are multiple discussions about this (some people don't believe RAM bandwidth impact on VR) and from my own experience (previous build, i7 2600K with 1600Mhz DDR3) going from 1600 to 2133MHz gave me a 20+% (!!) FPS increase. Going from 3.5 to 4.2 GHz on the CPU gave me only a few FPS.

In iRacing it ran pretty well (2600K with GTX 1070) since no AI and running well in VR. Which sim are you running? Tsukuba in iRacing is badly optimised (all their new tracks are rubbish performance wise) so that is to be expected. What headset are you running? Make sure your questions are complete as it's a lot of guessing right now..

The best way to test this is to underclock the CPU and see whether it gets worse. If performance stays about the same the CPU wasn't the problem.

Underclocking is easily done via the CPU multiplier in the BIOS and totally safe for both the computer and for your data.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 66 64.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 20 19.6%
Back