DiRT Rally 2.0 Introduction and Beginner Guidance

Hey all,
My name is Aidan and I am a third year University student in New England who took up sim racing over the summer. I started my virtual racing journey through Forza on my Xbox 360 in middle school and followed that passion to today. So far I have only used Assetto Corsa and have been practicing car control, dialing in my rig, and getting accustomed to racing along side other drivers. I had Dirt 4 when it first released then subsequently fell in love with rally driving and I have just recently purchased Dirt Rally 2.0 as I want to get into this side of the sim racing hobby. Any tips for starting rally sim racing as a beginner? Do I need a handbrake to get started? What cars/tracks in Dirt Rally 2.0 should I start practicing with? Are there any leagues/groups that do weekly races? I'm looking to make some friends and learn more about this amazing community!
Cheers!
Aidan

Hey all,
My name is Aidan and I am a third year University student in New England who took up sim racing over the summer. I started my virtual racing journey through Forza on my Xbox 360 in middle school and followed that passion to today. So far I have only used Assetto Corsa and have been practicing car control, dialing in my rig, and getting accustomed to racing along side other drivers. I had Dirt 4 when it first released then subsequently fell in love with rally driving and I have just recently purchased Dirt Rally 2.0 as I want to get into this side of the sim racing hobby. Any tips for starting rally sim racing as a beginner? Do I need a handbrake to get started? What cars/tracks in Dirt Rally 2.0 should I start practicing with? Are there any leagues/groups that do weekly races? I'm looking to make some friends and learn more about this amazing community!
Cheers!
Aidan
Two things:
1) Transition to a wheel and three pedals if you haven't already done so.
2) If you have a spot to mount one, pick up an h-shifter or a sequential shifter and a handbrake. Note: unless you are already in the fanatec eco system, I would personally avoid the fanatec handbrake and shifter. The fanatec handbrake in particular is in dire need of a modern refresh.

Two things:
1) Transition to a wheel and three pedals if you haven't already done so.
2) If you have a spot to mount one, pick up an h-shifter or a sequential shifter and a handbrake. Note: unless you are already in the fanatec eco system, I would personally avoid the fanatec handbrake and shifter. The fanatec handbrake in particular is in dire need of a modern refresh.
I right now I am running Logitech wheel, pedals, and H pattern shifter on the Next Level Racing Wheel Stand 2.0 with a 34inch monitor and it feels pretty good. I am looking to upgrade to an H pattern/sequential shifter and add a handbrake soon. What hand brake would you recommend? I like the price point of the fanatec offering but was debating to spend a little more on the Aiologs hand brake as it looks like a nice piece of kit

I right now I am running Logitech wheel, pedals, and H pattern shifter on the Next Level Racing Wheel Stand 2.0 with a 34inch monitor and it feels pretty good. I am looking to upgrade to an H pattern/sequential shifter and add a handbrake soon. What hand brake would you recommend? I like the price point of the fanatec offering but was debating to spend a little more on the Aiologs hand brake as it looks like a nice piece of kit
The Logitech set is a great starter kit so you have done very well there. I use the Fanatec handbrake (and while it does the job it is a bit sloppy on my motion rig). In your position, depending on budget and mounting possibilities, I would consider the Aiologs handbrake. Alternatively, VNM also looks really good.

Before either of those though, you have to decide how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go... Most would recommend upgrading to loadcell brakes before considering the sequential shifter and handbrake. Then comes the recommended direct drive wheel.... Then comes the entire aluminum profile cockpit to hold the direct drive wheel, etc. You get the idea.

Long story short: You have an ideal starter set. Get a reasonably cheap handbrake that you can easily mount to your rig. Then save some money.

Watch the reviews on direct drive wheels from Fanatec, Thrustmaster (not yet available), Moza, etc., and then plan out your upgrades including an aluminum profile cockpit. In the end, if you love racing, your sim racing setup is likely to cost about the same as a year's worth of tires for casual track day racing.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea