I entered the VR world...

Bought me an Oculus Rift S afew days ago. Loving the VR experience in general. But in sim racing I am underwhelmed :(. The screen door effect seems so much worse than other VR games. I have tried many of the suggestions online. Motion sickness will also be a problem but I think it will get better. I have tried AC, ACC, and PCars 2 so far.

I ended up returning a Rift S that I just picked up. I also found the screen door effect was just too much for me, and took away from the experience. I am used to my 1440p 32" triples, which are just so much clearer. Cars in the distance in the Rift S just looked like blurry blobs and I could not even read the brake markers until I was right on top of them. I tried the Rift S in iRacing and ACC, but the results were similar and I was not that impressed. I have a Reverb G2 on pre-order, so am hoping that the experience will be better with the higher resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also think there's a bit of pot luck with the lens quality. My first Rift CV1 had some faint green lines across my view, and I very nearly decided that it was ok and I could put up with it. But once I'd spotted them I couldn't 'un-see' them.
I returned it and got another one, and the view was excellent. I can't say I saw much SDE in race sims or any other game.
I later tried someone else's rift, and it had a sort of 'film grain' effect across the whole view - maybe that's the screen door effect - it was nothing bad, and I would have considered it perfectly acceptable if it had been my second Rift, but it was noticeable compared to the clear lenses in mine.

The single most important component in the headset should be better quality controlled, & should be of far more consistent quality than it actually is.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea