Cars How to set a parent for displays?

Hi guys,

Trying to keep busy, I'm working on a private mod.
You know how it is: X and Y are good in mod 1, Z is good in mod 3 and so I merge them and make my own physics as thats the field I know. Been doing that for almost 15 years now, then with rF(2) and the last year in AC.

Now I would love to have a different steering wheel and it is out there, there are more even, but I have my eyes set on an add-on for the RSS cars.
This thing works nicely on those, but on my mod: there are no digits (and other stuff) in the display.

So, there is a tutorial in the AC folder, there is a proper knowledge base with links all over the internet and I read......and read.....and then some!
Turns out, one has to "set a parent" as far as I understand.

Lots of the things I've read, go from the point you are a fulltime modder and you do everything, from sounds to making 3D models to making physics, own expensive programs to do all of this and so on.
Setting a parent, how, when, and where, is not really described: "they" take it you already know that.
I don't.

So I have a wheel, turned it in several editors (3dsimed and the one in the AC folder) and tried to find a parent: none.
I was able to get some names and I noted THEM in the "digital instruments" ini, tried all I could find: none worked.

I'm busy with this for to long now, it has become an obsession.......I would love to get it sorted so I can move on; would someone please give me a few pointers?

Thanks in advance.

It's a 3dsmax/blender term, describing the tree structure of the model.
Om8oinj.png

Here "STEER_HR" is the parent, "Circle.001" is the child. So you use the 'make parent' tool in Blender to put it in this spot in the tree, with the child as a selected object and the parent as the active object. I don't know how this is done in 3dsmax, and it definitely can't be done in kseditor.

Thank you very much for your reply!
It's very hard to get proper info on this.

Well, I have to re-learn Blender then :) Never was any good with it, but I think I should be able to do this when I read the Blender stuff again.

But writing this, all of the sudden, my train of thought is this: the wheel does work in the car where it is supposed to go and takes over the dash: it should have that parent in there already then, right?
When I look into the "digital instruments" .ini from that car: it says "Parent = Display_1" and on mine, it says "Digital_Display".
I did try to change them out, thinking it should work but it doesn't.

Anyway, going to look for a plugin and fire up Blender, thanks!!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.