How to prevent Windows Mixed Reality hijacking the VR

Hi all

Most times when I start a game, say AMS2, I will start in Steam VR mode and away we go, and it works fine. But sometimes, like today, Windows Mixed Reality will hijack the process, and no matter what I do I cannot wrestle control of VR back, very often resulting in a hard shutdown.

I try to alt-Tab to select WMR and try to close it, but a lot of times either the mouse cursor is trapped in the top left corner of the screen so I can't click on the 'X' to shut WMR down, or in 50% of the cases no matter what I do I cannot get the mouse cursor back so there is no alternative but to hard shut down.

I tried to uninstall WMR, but then Steam tells me I have to re-install. So I can't live with it, and can't live without it

Is there a way to make WMR less dominant? or a way that I can close it (and for some reason the task manager doesn't allow me to a lot of times)

Cheers

les

Do you mean the Mixed Reality Portal? e.g.

1704729505479.png

I think you need this running for any WMR headset to function correctly - I have to have it running even when using OpenComposite instead of SteamVR.

What headset do you have?

Hi all, thanks for the replies

I'm running a G2, and the effect is that I see the WMR 'house' in VR, stopping AMS2 from appearing, and on the PC monitor screen I get that image in the first reply. Nothing I do allows me to switch back to AMS2 or minimise the WMR stuff

I will have to check those settings against mine

Cheers

Les

Ah, that sounds like one part of the chain has failed and the headset is defaulting to the 'home' as it's not receiving anything from the sim.

I'll need to check when I am on next what SteamVR uses with WMR, but I seem to recall it's something like this:

Game -> SteamVR -> WMR For SteamVR -> WMR

I'd probably check that the WMR to SteamVR app/tool is ok and running correctly

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes