How to "brighten" a track.

Have one track that is very drab, colors seem pale, generally seems low contrast. It is not the textures themselves, they look fine, so I assume it is some setting in the track file making it look like a very overcast day ...to the point it is difficult to discern the grey tarmac from the greyish green grass ("can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail", oops, off on a tangent).

I often use Gamma Control with GTR2 and rfactor as neither does a good job of portraying a bright day, but it doesn't help much with this track.

So, is there anything I can do to brighten this up?

GRAB_006.jpg
GRAB_007.jpg
GRAB_008.jpg

Funnily enough I've been looking for the same thing - don't think there is a way to make the weather always sunny and cloud free clear. I have noticed there is a fog/mist/sunny haze (can't remember what it is called) in the PLR file with an option on or off. Haven't tried it yet

You can change the overall look of a track by editing various lines in the tracks GDB file.

Look for the // Scene Lighting header and the lines below it like so:

SunriseAmbientColour = (165,185,195)
SunriseDirectionalColour = (120,110,105)
SunriseFogColour = (30,35,60)
SunriseFogIn = 0.0
SunriseFogOut = 1550.0
RainSunriseAmbientColour = (85,85,85)
RainSunriseDirectionalColour = (45,45,45)
RainSunriseFogColour = (43,53,55)
RainSunriseFogIn = -100.0
RainSunriseFogOut = 750.0

There are more lines for Day, Sunset, Night, etc.

I usually find a track I like "colour wise" and use it's settings by cutting and pasting the various lines into the track I want changed. You may have to cut and paste (or edit) multiple times until you find the settings you like. Just remember to backup the original GDB file or have a copy in another location.

Thanks. I figured there was some adjustment but am not one for blind trial and error tweaking.

BTW, for years I've used a simple backup system, no moving, no renaming, file is kept right at hand - right click on the file/folder, select "add to zip"; edit as much as you like, get things screwed up just right click on that zip "extract here", you're back where you started.

I've played with those settings a bit, assuming the numbers in parentheses are RGB coordinates. Trying settings from other tracks is hit and miss, settings from a "brighter" track might actually make this track darker, may have little effect, or may affect other areas of the track than where I'm concerned. I did make a noticeable difference by increasing the values for "DayAmbientColour" by 20%, testing is somewhat easier but still not good enough for racing.

The issue remains on this particular section of the track (a series of varying radius esses) that there is so little contrast between the asphalt and grass that it is quite difficult to tell them apart, much less find the apex. This puts you at a distinct disadvantage since the AI do not have to "see" the track.

FWIW, track is TheSudschleife by Nick303. I know of no other version for GTR2, but this one is very well made otherwise.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.