How is AI progressing in iRacing?

Mine expired about a week ago, tried it out for the AI. Both "road"/circuit and oval available but I had an issue at Donington Park, Coppice Turn 8 the AI would correct for no reason and go off. Made it pretty unraceable. Not sure how many other issues there are.

Honestly tracks have good variety, car variety is lacking. F3, GT4 and TCR are pretty much the best non-NASCAR classes. Cup cars are covered for NASCAR though. All cars on all tracks available, no combination restrictions there. Free content for anyone reading who doesn't any purchasable stuff is thin on the ground if I remember correctly, especially on the oval side. Tarmac circuits only, no mixed surfaces and no dirt ovals.

Using custom paints on AI using Trading Paints is awkward, horrible workflow and doesn't work all the time. The way they've implemented it is terrible, if that all worked in the iRacing UI it would be so much better.

To summarise, car variety is lacking, track variety is good, provided there are no car/track combo specific issues it works really well honestly. I stopped paying because it's still basically a demo though yet it's full price.

I had a 30 grid race at Brands Hatch and I have never seen AI as good as what I saw there.

Here's what I wrote on the iRacing forums in October:

I was so impressed today with a 30 car AI grid at Brands Hatch. The AI were aggressive but reasonable, tried for inside takes and sometimes committed and sometimes pulled out, raced beside me through corners and didn't chicken out or end up hitting me, pressured from behind if they were faster and eventually went for the pass. There's so many little but critical things these AI are doing right. Some of their behaviour is eerily human like.

I spent a long, long time tuning GTR2 AI so I know how intricate and delicate AI behaviour can be.

So, kudos to you iRacing, this is brilliant stuff.

The problem that seems sticky now is that the AI cars are tuned per track and only certain cars have yet been tuned. It's not like the majority of other sims where they seem to have car-agnostic AI that can use any car. They have to train a specific car-track combo to make it good.

It would explain the high quality most of the time and the painfully slow release of content. But at this rate it'll be years before the AI is anywhere near most of the cars and tracks. I might take a look at it again when it's further down the line, but it's basically a demo or a beta right now.

@Shovas Not to derail the thread, but do you still run GTR2 sometimes? Like so many, that sim was my intro to sim racing but I have not booted it up in many years.

Edit: Actually NR2003 was my intro to sim racing, GTR2 followed close behind.

Last edited:
@Shovas Not to derail the thread, but do you still run GTR2 sometimes? Like so many, that sim was my intro to sim racing but I have not booted it up in many years.

Edit: Actually NR2003 was my intro to sim racing, GTR2 followed close behind.
Yes, I do, quite a bit :)

You can catch us over in the GTR2 forums. Check out the GTR2 downloads for ffb and ai related downloads. There's also a thread for getting started with GTR2 in 2020.

Available on any road circuits yet or still just for the oval monkeys? Haven't renewed my sub in 4 years but the addition of AI has me intrigued.
They are adding Interlagos and Imola this build but other then that they have Spa, Brands Hatch, Catalunya, Donington, Lime Rock, Barber, Mid-Ohio, Nurburgring Combined, Nurburgring Grand Prix-Strecke, Road America & Atlanta, Sebring, Summit Point, Tsukuba, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca and Daytona Road Course.

The Road Cars are: Indy Pro 2000, Dallara F3, Mazda MX5 Cup, Kia Optima, Porsche 991 GT3, SCCA Spec Racer Ford, Skip Barber Formula 2000 and the VW Jetta TDI Cup car

The car choice is really weird though. LMP2 with no GT3, GTE or LMP1? What series runs just LMP2? And the lack of the Indycars is a little disappointing. If they were added with the damage model I might pay for a subscription again (finances allowing).

The car choice is really weird though. LMP2 with no GT3, GTE or LMP1? What series runs just LMP2? And the lack of the Indycars is a little disappointing. If they were added with the damage model I might pay for a subscription again (finances allowing).
They usually do that, when the ai first came out they released the f3 a few months before and they added the new damage model and ai for the f3 right away. Same with the Indy pro 2000 and USF2000

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.