Heavy rattling on rumble strips

Gevatter

The James May of Simracing
Premium
Hi there,

I gave rFactor 2 a go again some days ago after I received my new Fanatec CSL Elite wheel. Compared to the G25 the cars feel quite good now, apart from a little fiddling with the settings for each car and the general getting used to the car feel. The only problem I have is very strong forces when going over rumble strips. It feels and sounds like my wheel goes full force and wants to come off it's screws. I had a similar problem when going offroad, but I could tune that out with a parameter in the controller.json file, but the parameters for the rumble strips don't seem to do anything. Normal flat kerbs feel alright.

I tested and have the same problem with three cars: Skip Barber, Formula 2, ASR Ferrari 412T2, running on Silvverstone and Interlagos. I'm on the DX11 beta should that influence anything. In-game settings are the stock CSL Elite PS4 profile with changed button binding, so Filtering 4, FFB multiplier set between 65-85 depending on the car and min-force at 0.5%

Wheel settings: FFB:80, FOR:100, SHO:100, Everything else OFF (as are the settings for my other sims). I would be thankful for tips regarding settings for the game of the wheel.

DX9 and DX11 shouldn't influence on anything besides graphics.

For my g27, I found a good amount of force is:

1.0 car specific (more if the FFB on the specific car is weak)
Filter 9.0
Min. force from 0 to 15, depending on the car.

Interlagos is bumpy, but it shouldn't make the wheel feel like that. Depending on the car, specially on open wheelers, you could amp the filter and reduce the minimum force as they can make such behavior get toned down in such specific situations.

Min. force from 0 to 15, depending on the car.
This is incorrect Min Force is used to get rid of the dead zone on your Steering Wheel you should use iRacing Wheelchecker app to find the amount of % dead zone then set it in Min Force e.g my G27 has dead zone of 19% and I have set to 18.5% this should NOT be changed per car only your FFB per car should most cars I drive USF 2000, Skip Barber, Renault 3.5 and Honda BTC are set somewhere between 0.68 and 0.82
You should also try to keep FFB smoothing/filter set as low as possible preferably 0 although I have mine set to 1 as my G27 rattles quite loud on 0

There is very little dead zone in my G27, for most cars there isn't any. For the cars that a dead zone appear in my G27, I amp the Minimum Force setting; but for some cars, such as F1 cars which are more sensitive to anything touching the tyres (and most have very good or strong FFB), I tone down the MInimum Force setting so that the wheel doesn't vibrate as much with every little road or Kerb detail.

Thanks for your replies.

I know what Min Force does, and the 0.5% are actually correct according to Wheelcheck. But even with the half percent - that's not so far from zero - the kerbs make my wheel want to explode. Filtering is set to 4 as it's default for my wheel, but I had it at 0 and even at 10 without much influence on the rattling kerbs.

I had the same issue with my Clubsport V2.5, until I figured out that the SHO controls that feedback in the wheel. Just turn it down until you get a level you like, I have it set now at 70
Sorry for the late comeback. So I tried your suggestion and set SHO to different strengths, but even at SHO 10 it still rattles like crazy, but road details are gone :) So I guess thats not it, but thanks anyways.

Fanatec released a new driver and firmware several weeks ago that has a function now called "Force Effect Intensity" it was develped to reduce the rattling. I suggest to install the new driver and update the firmware. I have the same base and have set my FEI setting to 6 and it has worked for me.

I just checked, and I'm on the latest driver and Firmware for may base, wich is driver v289 beta and FW v297. Those drivers are from June 2017. I use the CSL Elite PS4 base.

I also dug around for older threads and tried the Jolt setting as well as using a value other that 0.0 for the canned rumble strips, but both didn't change anything. I also played around with the FOR setting, but everything that reduced the rattling somewhat also reduced the FFB strength and road feel.

V289-beta with Firmware V297 is the old one. V292-beta with Firmware V313 is the one you need which was released last month. Go to Fanatec's website and download the package file to update your drivers.
fanatec.jpg

This is how the driver download page looks like:
upload_2017-9-19_0-7-44.png

I was under the impression the v289 are for the PS4 base and the other ones for the XBOX base, but having had another look the XBOX base has a separate download page. I'll download the new version and check when I'm back home. Thank you for the info!

Fanatec released a new driver and firmware several weeks ago that has a function now called "Force Effect Intensity" it was develped to reduce the rattling. I suggest to install the new driver and update the firmware. I have the same base and have set my FEI setting to 6 and it has worked for me.
This has more or less solved my problem, so thank you very much for this tip :) It's also very useful for the offroad portion of Automobilista. It does feel a bit weird at first, driving with FEI, takes some getting used to. I have it set to 7 atm, but still testing if I can go lower.

Yeah I have that in the Clubsport V2 as well, the only way to tune it out is with in-game smoothing in the controller settings. Edit: Min force affects it greatly, the more min force the more rattle you get, try and put it at zero.

Min Force at 0% didn't help me at all. FEI stopps the rattling, which is nice, though like I said it makes the whole FFB fell weird, smoothed out, as if all the spikes are covered in a layer of foam. It also makes the wheel slower to react. After driving around for a few hours I'm still not used to it. I also tested it in my other Sims, but I prefer the feel without it, and only use it in AMS for Offroad driving.

So, FEI works, but I'd consider it a workaround rather than a real solution tbh. I hope there will be an in-game option some day to tune down rumble strip intensity.

Last edited:
Min Force at 0% didn't help me at all. FEI stopps the rattling, which is nice, though like I said it makes the whole FFB fell weird, smoothed out, as if all the spikes are covered in a layer of foam. It also makes the wheel slower to react. After driving around for a few hours I'm still not used to it. I also tested it in my other Sims, but I prefer the feel without it, and only use it in AMS for Offroad driving.

So, FEI works, but I'd consider it a workaround rather than a real solution tbh. I hope there will be an in-game option some day to tune down rumble strip intensity.

I doubt there will be a perfect solution to this, because in rF2 things like rumble strips are not canned effects, it's the real vibrations created by the elevation changes in the rumble strips that gets transmitted to the FFB. So if for example a track maker has decided to create unrealistically sharp curbs for his track, then that is how it will be felt in the FFB. In real life I assume these vibrations would be order of magnitude higher, especially if you drive with an open wheel car with typically stiff suspension.

But it's not real life, it it? It's a game that I'd like to be able to play at night without waking up the whole house ;)
I doubt there will be a perfect solution to this, because in rF2 things like rumble strips are not canned effects, it's the real vibrations created by the elevation changes in the rumble strips that gets transmitted to the FFB.
Offroad intensity can still be tuned, as can kerb pull. Are those canned effects then? But I understand what you are saying of course. So what it would take, realistically, would be to smoothen the rumble strips on the tracks?

At Fanatec's website they show no support for rF2 and concerned if this is the reason for certain issues experienced in rF2. I really wanted to purchase a Clubsport 2.5 but since reviewing here i'am very reluctant. I been reviewing Thrustmaster but i read many horror stories with their wheels and their service support so i'am stressed on which wheel manufacturer will suit my best needs for both AC and rF2. Still searching! :(

Last edited:
At Fanatec's website they show no support for rF2 and concerned if this is the reason for certain issues experienced in rF2. I really wanted to purchase a Clubsport 2.5 but since reviewing here i'am very reluctant. I been reviewing Thrustmaster but i read many horror stories with their wheels and their service support so i'am stressed on which wheel manufacturer will suit my best needs for both AC and rF2. Still searching! :(

I have a second hand CSW V2 and I can't see how anything would be better without spending twice as much. It can be a bit too strong over curbs even when you reduce the in game car specific ffb. Lesson I learned is to stay off those extremely bouncy curbs.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.