Resource icon

Misc GTR2 Remaster Tech Demo 2023-05-23

Login or Register an account to download this content
Need_For_Speed submitted a new resource:

GTR2 Remaster Tech Demo - GTR2 remaster

This in ongoing project I am working on. I have decided to facelift GTR2 a little with improved higher resolution textures for all original content using AI. Eventually all the cars and tracks will be done but for now I have uploaded little demo so you will see what can you expect when its done.

Pack includes:

- high res textures for 1 track and 2 cars
- higher res textures for emap materials and brakes
- higher res textures for pitcrew and fuelrig

In addition I have significantly...

Read more about this resource...

Just tried this out. It's great for what's there so far. Nice work.

How are you doing the texture work?

I've heard of developers mass upscaling textures with Photoshop for example and I know some AI art generators can accept an image and allow you to modify it with a prompt.

There's a lot of potential here. We could get AI art to generate era specific advertising billboards just based on a few words. Could improve the tree branch textures. Body panels, anything.

Lots of possibilities :thumbsup:

This upgrade goes well with HQ Anni Patch high res mirrors.

PS. Any chance of getting car shadows in mirrors?

Last edited:
How are you doing the texture work?
I am using a couple of AI upscaling software's. The result is superior than a simple Photoshop enlargement. Maybe some other people can implement the shadows, who have knowledge on the issue.

Separately do you know a proper procedure of getting cube textures (emap tex) into the game?
I have issues with higher resolution version of them than it is in this mod, when seeing them in game at a certain angle and exposed to sunlight.

What are the exact settings in Nvidia DDS Photoshop plugin?

Sounds awesome but I don't see any difference between the "old" and "new" cockpit pic besides the steering wheel where it has upgraded steering rim texture, added BMW logo, and changed style of button text-stickers. I went back and forth like 20 times. The display, the dashboard, grills, vents, hands/gloves, roll bar (or pillar part of the chassis at the side of the screen, whatever it's called), buttons, labels, text, glovebox, etc. look identical. I had both pics viewed in full/native size so nothing was being re-sized.

I also viewed the outside world and couldn't find anything that looked different between the "old" and "new". I do see the colour of the pavement is different but not sure if that's just due to lighting changes between sessions.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome but I don't see any difference between the "old" and "new" cockpit pic besides the steering wheel where it has upgraded steering rim texture, added BMW logo, and changed style of button text-stickers. I went back and forth like 20 times. The display, the dashboard, grills, vents, hands/gloves, roll bar (or pillar part of the chassis at the side of the screen, whatever it's called), buttons, labels, text, glovebox, etc. look identical. I had both pics viewed in full/native size so nothing was being re-sized.

I also viewed the outside world and couldn't find anything that looked different between the "old" and "new". I do see the colour of the pavement is different but not sure if that's just due to lighting changes between sessions.
There is a difference. But they are subtle. Just try to zoom inside the cockpit in the game and you will see that the textures are sharper. Or look close at car liveries. When comparing tracks, difference can clearly be seen if you look at tarmac, grass etc... I did not include driver/gloves textures as they are already available.

Hi, is it possible to make changes(increase saturation?) in shaders or textures in tracks like Monza to make more "warm" green color of trees and grass to make it more realistic and pleasing to the eye?

Last edited:
Hi, is it possible to make changes(increase saturation?) in shaders or textures in tracks like Monza to make more "warm" green color of trees and grass to make it more realistic and pleasing to the eye?

You can also make changes to the overall colour / lighting. It's not for specific shaders or textures but the whole scene in general. I believe it's in the circuit files. You can change RGB. I did this in rFactor 1 as I think a lot of the default tracks are too blue.

You can also make changes to the overall colour / lighting. It's not for specific shaders or textures but the whole scene in general. I believe it's in the circuit files. You can change RGB. I did this in rFactor 1 as I think a lot of the default tracks are too blue.
Yes, this is what i'm looking for, but i'm noob in that) so i coudn't find where to fix it if it's possible

Last edited:
Yes, this is what i'm looking for, but i'm noob in that) so i coudn't find where to fix it if it's possible
Here is what a mod says that improves the tracks colours in rFactor 1. I believe you can use the same for GTR2 and other ISI engine games:

This is for Mills Metropark in RF1:

***.GDB lighting changes will cause online mismatches unless your league runs these settings***
- the new .GDB values are to produce a more accurate simulation of real lighting in all of these conditions. They are truly effective when used in concert with my sky packages.

***.SCN file fog values will not cause mismatches***
- These new fog values are important in removing the close fog which made the skies too washed out, and also unevenly altered the environment***

--- these values must be changed in each track configuration folder ---

Mills .GDB FILE SETTINGS
SunriseAmbientRGB = (130,160,185)
SunriseDirectionalRGB = (255,200,145)
SunriseFogRGB = (204,174,240)

DayAmbientRGB = (106,112,118)
DayDirectionalRGB = (255,255,255)
DayFogRGB = (203,214,236)

SunsetAmbientRGB = (130,160,185)
SunsetDirectionalRGB = (255,200,145)
SunsetFogRGB = (204,196,122)

Mills .SCN FILE SETTINGS
FogMode=LINEAR FogIn=(2000.00) FogOut=(10000.00) FogDensity=(0.20) FogColor=(190, 198, 213)

For comparison, here are the default, vanilla settings for Mills Metropark Short:
GDB File
SunriseAmbientRGB = (120,120,110)
SunriseDirectionalRGB = (255,248,198)
SunriseFogRGB = (204,174,240)

DayAmbientRGB = (80,89,126)
DayDirectionalRGB = (255,255,255)
DayFogRGB = (203,214,236)

SunsetAmbientRGB = (130,130,120)
SunsetDirectionalRGB = (255,248,198)
SunsetFogRGB = (204,196,122)

NightAmbientRGB = (10,10,10)
NightDirectionalRGB = (15,15,15)
NightFogRGB = (0,0,0)

SCN File
FogMode=LINEAR FogIn=(600.00) FogOut=(2000.00) FogDensity=(0.00) FogColor=(203, 214, 236)

I think you can ignore the fog stuff if you're only looking to change the colour but I thought I'd include it anyway.

Last edited:
Hi,
Is Steering wheel in BMW based on real footage? I do not see yellow ring here:
Would be awesome to have remaster based on reality as much as possible, but I imagine good footage is hard to find...

Last edited:
Yes the goal of the remaster is authenticity so almost all textures will be original ones. But in certain cases where originals are really bad they will be replaced with alternatives like for example steering wheels.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.