F1 2020 George Russell praises new handling

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)
Have to say I wasn't hugely interested in F1 2020 until I saw this clip of Russell seemingly giving honest thoughts on his experience with the new game:

Summary from here:

George Russell says he is surprised by the improvements Codemasters have made to how cars handle in F1 2020, the upcoming new edition of the official Formula 1 game.

Russell revealed on social media he was “shocked” by the improvements he felt in a version of F1 2020 he played recently. The will go on sale on July 10th.

“I’ve recently played the new F1 game and it was super-good,” said Russell in a conversation with Sergio Perez. “I was really surprised.”

Perez, who entered the F1 2019-based Virtual Grand Prix series for the first time last weekend, described the difficulties he had getting the car to turn the way he wanted it to in the previous game.

“It’s all in the downshifts,” said Russell. “You’ve got to use the downshifts at the right time. It’s so difficult in this game. But the new one is really good, none of this stupidness is there.”

Hmm after uninstalling 2019 a few weeks ago (to focus more on other sim titles) I was thinking about not buying any more F1 games since I usually play them for 10-25 hours at most and then move on... but this comment from GR plus some other reviews i’ve seen on YouTube has made me change my mind...

I will wait after it comes out and see what you guys think of it before buying...

The problem is so many drivers have product placements and bias it is hard to tell when they are telling the truth and to what extent. It could be true but it is a bit like the boy who cried wolf. Codemasters have spent so much time in the past getting drivers like Norris to fake that it is a good game when in reality they think it is nothing like real life and prefer other sims.

Suddenly they produce a slightly better handling model for an upcoming title when no real racing exists and get praise.

The problem is so many drivers have product placements and bias it is hard to tell when they are telling the truth and to what extent. It could be true but it is a bit like the boy who cried wolf. Codemasters have spent so much time in the past getting drivers like Norris to fake that it is a good game when in reality they think it is nothing like real life and prefer other sims.

Suddenly they produce a slightly better handling model for an upcoming title when no real racing exists and get praise.
I can't believe this is anything other than his honest impression. Any paid comment would not be followed by saying that the handling in F12019 is stupid.

I can't believe this is anything other than his honest impression. Any paid comment would not be followed by saying that the handling in F12019 is stupid.

Even if that is true, he is being paid to represent Williams on F1 2019 and himself and win the Virtual GP series and give feedback to Codemasters.

Point being, having just learnt F1 2019 and profited out of it, he is invested in F1 2020 more than anyone else in existence.

Perez is the one with zero F1 2019 sim experience telling it like it is on honest impressions.

Even if that is true, he is being paid to represent Williams on F1 2019 and himself and win the Virtual GP series and give feedback to Codemasters.

Point being, having just learnt F1 2019 and profited out of it, he is invested in F1 2020 more than anyone else in existence.

Perez is the one with zero F1 2019 sim experience telling it like it is on honest impressions.
Drivers (Max, Lando, Russell, Sainz, Leclerc, now Perez and even Gutierrez) have been nothing but negative on Codemasters F1 games, so i take Russell saying this at face value, they clearly had no restrictions on speaking their mind.
Perez is telling like it is, no doubt, he is trying to drive like he would his real life car and it doesn't work, he struggled to "turn the car", and Russell who is the guy that figured out this game better than anyone else on the grid still calls it stupid.
Also somewhat ironic given the Simracing community stance on Codemasters they don't say it's too easy, it's stupid, unnatural and somewhat harder for them than real life.

Sainz and Gutierrez described the handling as "mushy" in a previous stream.

Also it seems like the change is corner entry which matches my feeling about why F1 2019 is crap.

Last edited:
When Perez asks about ABS in 2019, are people using the assist? I assumed it was slower
F1 went for the lowest common denominator in these events, no damage, abs, some traction control, ERS on auto... and when they couldn't find drivers(including test drivers) to fill the grid they invited footballers and youtubers.

Really bottom of the barrel cheap entertainment stuff.

After criticism, they put out a message saying that they are considering a second game with a more serious simracing focus, Codemasters might already be reacting to that.

Drivers (Max, Lando, Russell, Sainz, Leclerc, now Perez and even Gutierrez) have been nothing but negative on Codemasters F1 games, so i take Russell saying this at face value, they clearly had no restrictions on speaking their mind.
Perez is telling like it is, no doubt, he is trying to drive like he would his real life car and it doesn't work, he struggled to "turn the car", and Russell who is the guy that figured out this game better than anyone else on the grid still calls it stupid.
Also somewhat ironic given the Simracing community stance on Codemasters they don't say it's too easy, it's stupid, unnatural and somewhat harder for them than real life.

Sainz and Gutierrez described the handling as "mushy" in a previous stream.

Also it seems like the change is corner entry which matches my feeling about why F1 2019 is crap.

Look mate I have been banned from Codemasters forums for pointing out the issues they are now fixing.

If you think what you think about it that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But in my opinion you are wrong about me and it is your problem.

Look mate I have been banned from Codemasters forums for pointing out the issues they are now fixing.

If you think what you think about it that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But in my opinion you are wrong about me and it is your problem.
I fail to see where i made it personal like you just did...
I gave my reasons why i have a different belief than yours, i didn't have any personal opinion of you(don't remember ever interacting) until a few moments ago...

Hold on to your grudges if you must(i had my fair share of problems with mods on their forums) but i really can't see why George Russell would risk getting hate by lying about F1 2020, his opinion has been discussed not only here (and in the Codemasters forums) but retweeted by the game director, posted on Racefans a popular F1 website...
If the game is crap Russell will hear about it from fans, i don't know why he would go through the trouble if he didn't believe it.

I fail to see where i made it personal like you just did...
I gave my reasons why i have a different belief than yours, i didn't have any personal opinion of you(don't remember ever interacting) until a few moments ago...

Hold on to your grudges if you must(i had my fair share of problems with mods on their forums) but i really can't see why George Russell would risk getting hate by lying about F1 2020, his opinion has been discussed not only here (and in the Codemasters forums) but retweeted by the game director, posted on Racefans a popular F1 website...
If the game is crap Russell will hear about it from fans, i don't know why he would go through the trouble if he didn't believe it.

I'm not denying there are improvements in handling. I am just saying Russell has more investment in the game being better than anyone else so I take it with a massive pinch of salt. If you fail to see why that is a problem then I can't help you. It isn't personal for me except for the fact you keep replying to my posts with your different opinion that I am never going to change to so it is literally pointless as we will keep going around in circles. I am sorry but it is not my fault that Russell, Codemasters etc. is all self-serving bullshit.

I'm not denying there are improvements in handling. I am just saying Russell has more investment in the game being better than anyone else so I take it with a massive pinch of salt. If you fail to see why that is a problem then I can't help you. It isn't personal for me except for the fact you keep replying to my posts with your different opinion that I am never going to change to so it is literally pointless as we will keep going around in circles. I am sorry but it is not my fault that Russell, Codemasters etc. is all self-serving bullshit.
Russell has zero investment in this, soon he'll be back on track and his F1 2019 "accomplishments" will be forgotten, they mean nothing, you act like he's pushing some dumb narrative saying "if all cars were equal i would win every time and F1 2019 proves it", he even admits the game is unrealistic and "stupid".

Pretty sad "i'll never change my opinion" why come to a forum then? You have no arguments, just that Russell, whom you never met i'm sure, is a prick for... reasons.

Ps: When you say "you are wrong about me(and i had not said anything about you up until that point, just defended Russell's honesty) and that is your problem" you kinda make it personal.

Isn't it the 'official' game of Formula 1?

Russell has zero investment in this, soon he'll be back on track and his F1 2019 "accomplishments" will be forgotten, they mean nothing, you act like he's pushing some dumb narrative saying "if all cars were equal i would win every time and F1 2019 proves it", he even admits the game is unrealistic and "stupid".

Pretty sad "i'll never change my opinion" why come to a forum then? You have no arguments, just that Russell, whom you never met i'm sure, is a prick for... reasons.

Ps: When you say "you are wrong about me(and i had not said anything about you up until that point, just defended Russell's honesty) and that is your problem" you kinda make it personal.

Where you are wrong: Russell has plenty of investment in this.
Where you are right: Yes, I have no arguments. I don't come to a forum to argue. I share my opinion. Others share theirs. I don't try to change theirs.
Where you are wrong: I never said Russell was a prick. It is just fairly obvious that he is benefitting from streaming winning F1 2019, and developing F1 2020, and getting Perez into the game. Even if it is on a subconscious level it is an emotional investment. He has done better than Leclerc and Norris and Albon and deserves praise. But it is also worth noting he left their streams of other games claiming to be tired and was clearly putting in practice hours instead.

You quoting my post and trying to explain why you take Russell at face value is where you got me wrong. I don't care if you take him at face value. I don't and I won't change on that because it is a lie. Agreeing to disagree is more reasonable and appropriate. But you are right, there is no point in sharing reason with someone who wants to argue. I won't come on the forum and respond to my posts that were quoted in future. It is genuinely unhealthy trying to explain truth to people who don't understand.

Isn't it the 'official' game of Formula 1?

Yes. It would be like a footballer having a sponsor as FIFA and saying their next game was better than their last one. It was true to an extent but that wasn't the point. It is their job to praise the new positives they are developing. Even if it is a 1% improvement it is their job to sell it to me so that I buy it and find the 99% of bugs and complain and get banned on forums and spend half of my life downloading hundreds of patches as a beta tester that paid for a full title every year like an idiot.

After criticism, they put out a message saying that they are considering a second game with a more serious simracing focus, Codemasters might already be reacting to that.

Which is really ironic. They blame the game for the arcadeness, yet they decide to turn 90% of the settings to make it even more arcade, damage off at Monaco being the worst example. Let's face it, none of these guys seemed very much interested in making a proper sim event.

Which is really ironic. They blame the game for the arcadeness, yet they decide to turn 90% of the settings to make it even more arcade, damage off at Monaco being the worst example. Let's face it, none of these guys seemed very much interested in making a proper sim event.
Well because driving without assists is not more realistic in F1 2019 its Just artificially harder. The cars drive like they are on ice and the tracks are terrible. F1 2019 is just not good from a simracing standpoint (still a good Game though). No wonder nobody takes it serious.

Where you are wrong: Russell has plenty of investment in this.
Where you are right: Yes, I have no arguments. I don't come to a forum to argue. I share my opinion. Others share theirs. I don't try to change theirs.
Where you are wrong: I never said Russell was a prick. It is just fairly obvious that he is benefitting from streaming winning F1 2019, and developing F1 2020, and getting Perez into the game. Even if it is on a subconscious level it is an emotional investment. He has done better than Leclerc and Norris and Albon and deserves praise. But it is also worth noting he left their streams of other games claiming to be tired and was clearly putting in practice hours instead.

You quoting my post and trying to explain why you take Russell at face value is where you got me wrong. I don't care if you take him at face value. I don't and I won't change on that because it is a lie. Agreeing to disagree is more reasonable and appropriate. But you are right, there is no point in sharing reason with someone who wants to argue. I won't come on the forum and respond to my posts that were quoted in future. It is genuinely unhealthy trying to explain truth to people who don't understand.

Yes. It would be like a footballer having a sponsor as FIFA and saying their next game was better than their last one. It was true to an extent but that wasn't the point. It is their job to praise the new positives they are developing. Even if it is a 1% improvement it is their job to sell it to me so that I buy it and find the 99% of bugs and complain and get banned on forums and spend half of my life downloading hundreds of patches as a beta tester that paid for a full title every year like an idiot.

He has plenty of investment because you say so, got it...

"I don't and won't change on that because that is lie", good thing you have lie detector... and works from a distance on people you never met incredible.
You say let's agree to disagree but keeps answering(AKA having an argument) in the most aggressively stupid way possible.

F1 drivers have been nothing but negative about Codemasters, saying how their game is the worst of the bunch, that includes Russell and Norris(killed F1 2019 right at launch, still does on streams), if praising them is their job they are doing it very poorly.

" It is genuinely unhealthy trying to explain truth to people who don't understand."

Just lol.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Forum trophies