F1 22 Game becomes laggy and stuttery after 10 minutes of playtime

F1 22 the official Formula 1 Game
Been excited about F1 22 because of VR, bought it on the launch day, and honestly, very disappointed about the bugs right now.
The game runs okay for about 10-15 minutes every time I fire it up, but then becomes extremely laggy and stuttery. My PC also slows down massively even after I exit the game, not back to normal again until the F1 22 process is completely killed in task manager. The pattern is quite repetitive and it happens to both monitor and VR modes. BTW, VR implementation is not as bad as I expected initially, can be smooth if you're willing to give up some clarity.
I've tried all the easy fixes I can find online, but none of them worked. I don't see any other people reporting this issue, so wanna create a post and see if anyone has a similar experience.
To me, it seems like there is some bug that creates dump files constantly while the game is running, and eventually it just goes over the limit and everything slows down.

Been excited about F1 22 because of VR, bought it on the launch day, and honestly, very disappointed about the bugs right now.

Just as a weird suggestion. Try disconnecting your wheel and pedals and see if it still happens.

I have a weird issue that if my racing gear is connected I get a decent performance hit (90 vs 120fps in the benchmark) and a constant low level stutter. Disconnect it and performance is fine.

Same thing has happened to me, and if you look at the EA F1 22 technical support page and the Steam community page, there are various issues.

Mine stutters in the menu after around 5 minutes and stutters throughout the game. I have tried different things, but nothing has worked. At the moment I am stuck with a game I cannot play, which has not happened with previous F1 games.

Same thing has happened to me, and if you look at the EA F1 22 technical support page and the Steam community page, there are various issues.

Mine stutters in the menu after around 5 minutes and stutters throughout the game. I have tried different things, but nothing has worked. At the moment I am stuck with a game I cannot play, which has not happened with previous F1 games.
Same for me, massive stutters. When it runs, it runs smoothly on pretty much max settings. Simply going into the menus or pausing and restarting during a race causes massive lag and stutters for about 30 seconds and then smooths out again (sometimes). VR performance is there but something is holding it back.

I wonder if the copy protection has anything to do with it? Denuvo occasionally causes these sorts of issues.

Last edited:
Just as a weird suggestion. Try disconnecting your wheel and pedals and see if it still happens.

I have a weird issue that if my racing gear is connected I get a decent performance hit (90 vs 120fps in the benchmark) and a constant low level stutter. Disconnect it and performance is fine.
Haven't tried that, would be interesting if it helps LOL. I guess I can try only leaving my base, wheel and pedals connected and disconnecting the others. Thanks for the suggestion!

Same for me, massive stutters. When it runs, it runs smoothly on pretty much max settings. Simply going into the menus or pausing and restarting during a race causes massive lag and stutters for about 30 seconds and then smooths out again (sometimes). VR performance is there but something is holding it back.

I wonder if the copy protection has anything to do with it? Denuvo occasionally causes these sorts of issues.
"Glad" you guys have the same issue, so at least I'm not alone. I guess it's quite clear at this point that we have to wait for EA's bugfix.

Update: it turns out removing the connections of my shifter, handbrake and the other wheel does fix the problem. The game runs smoothly now and it's great fun to drive in the wet in VR!!!

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 29 13.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • Friday

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 117 56.3%