Fuel Tank Capacity

What setting controls the capacity of the car's fuel tank?

For example, I see in the hdc file a "fuel range=(1.0,1.0,30)" and a "fuel setting=20"; is either, or neither, of these the actual capacity? If so, is it in gallons, litres, or some proprietary scale? If I want to set a full tank to a real world capacity of 25 gallons, what do i adjust?

The Fuel Range setting does indeed control the size of the fuel tank. The last number in your example indicates that vehicle has a 30 litre tank. The Fuel Setting entry is the amount of fuel (in litres) in the tank, NOT a percentage of the fuel as most would think.

To get a 25 gallon tank you would change the "30" in your example to 95, and to get a full tank of fuel you would use a Fuel Setting of 95. This would then show up in game as 25.1 gallons in the cars Setup Screen. Setting it to 94 will give you 24.8 gallons. Only whole numbers work. If you set the Fuel Range to 94.64 (actual litre conversion to US gallon) it will still show up in game as 24.8 gallons.

If you check GTR2's default cars HDC files you will see that pretty much all have a 100L tank and are only half full (45 to 49).

Last edited:
Reactions: jgf
Thank you!

I've suspected many cars in mods. One which I know from personal ownership only has a ten gallon tank, holds 22 gallons in the game; while another, which online data says has a capacity of 195 litres, tops up at about 18 gallons. (The former reminds me of the story about Smokey Yunick, who was once accused by competitors of having an illegal fuel tank. The inspectors removed the tank and found it perfectly legal. Smokey then got in the car and drove it away ....without the tank. Two of the frame tubes had been used as tanks to hold an extra 10 gallons; but the rules only stated the capacity of the fuel tank, so his car was legal. The rules were quickly changed.)

What do the first two numbers in the Range represent?

min and max of what? I've noticed they are the same value for every car I've checked, so probably not something that needs tweaking.

Apparently many mod creators are listing fuel in gallons, which explains a full tank of gas only good for four laps at a five mile track. I have corrected the GP37 mod, the Mercedes now has its designed 240L; interestingly the little Maserati has a 195L tank, I assume due to its popularity at the Targa Florio in the late thirties (often half the field would be Maseratis).

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Friday

Votes: 52 36.4%
  • Saturday

Votes: 84 58.7%