Finally, the perfect camera position (Trigger warning)

unknown_2021.12.22-06.30.jpg

I'd like to try this setting, if you can share it.
Yea, of course.
In all Simbin games, you can easily change camera position by editing the ".Car" file for the specific car you want to drive.
The slightly confusing part is, there is a ".Car" file for every race number of the car you want to edit. So the first thing to do is identify the vehicle and race number of the vehicle you want to change. Otherwise, you may edit one car and be driving another and think the change is not working. The easiest way to identify the car number is to open the showroom within the game. Often the car number and model are listed, and it may even give the location of the files.
Now that you have that minor detail sorted, close the game and find the ".Car" file.
First, locate the game directory.
e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game.
Next, open the GameData folder, then the Teams folder. You will now see more folders for all the car groups, e.g., GT, NGT, 24H.
If you have mods installed, there could be many more.
For my example, I will use the GT folder. Identify the group your car is in and open that folder.

Ok, now that we are in that folder, we open the folder for the car model we want. This is where things can get a little confusing. Some modders will place the files for a specific car number in their folder and clearly label it. Some will divide them by Team name. Some will put all the files together in a big jumble sale. No matter to us, we need to search calmly through the folders looking for the specific ".Car" file for our car. Often the car number is in the name of the file, and other times it is in the name of a folder.
Once you have found it open the file with Notepad and look for the line Eyepoint=(0.363, 0.59, 0.345)
this line defines the camera's position when you are in cockpit view. I find it best to edit this line as you can make fine adjustments with the mouse in-game, and it avoids any nasty clipping of the vehicle that can occur in the other camera views.

The first number in the brackets for Eyepoint=(0.363, 0.59, 0.345) depicts the sideways axis. In my example, it's 0.363. if we put a negative in front of this number, the car would seem left-hand drive. If we made it zero, the camera would be in the middle. The second number is the height, and the third number is the one we want which depicts the forward and backward. I find that a good value is -0.5. This will move the camera forward as if we have our heads sticking through the windscreen. So the new value would be Eyepoint=(0.363, 0.59, -0.5). Change the number and save the file. Now open the game and test your new camera position. Remember to switch to cockpit view. Left mouse button and move the mouse to refine your new position. Right mouse button to adjust the height.

Sorry if this explanation seems a bit long-winded. I wanted to try and make it easy for anyone else to work out how to do it if they have never changed any settings in a SimBin game. Hopefully, someone else will chime in and give a more straightforward explanation. :D

Maybe not a straightforward explanation but a very detailed process description :thumbsup: for someone not used to 3D work.
The explanation with values for X, Y and Z ( very short and straightforward ) should not be enough for helping someone to do those changes if he doesn't know a bit of how GTR2 works and where to find the necessary files and how to do so.

The eyepoint is simple to adjust via keyboard, but I'd like to know where are the parameters for the range of adjustment. I have some cars where it seems there is a foot of adjustment up and down and back and forth while others have barely a couple inches of movement. I can edit the car file but that's a kludge of trial and error; being able to set a reasonable range of adjustment for the keyboard means hop in teh car, adjust the view, and hit the track.

Those values are also very easy to modify in the .car files.
These are the lines for those range settings: ( an example )

MaxSeatRear=0.075
MaxSeatFront=-0.090
MaxSeatUp=0.8
MaxSeatDown=-0.5

This is an example of a too limited value for the back and forth seat moves.
( Positive values for rear and UP - negative values for front and down. )

If I compare with the most chosen values by @GTR233 in his HQ Patch
MaxSeatRear=1.0
MaxSeatFront=-0.50
MaxSeatUp=0.20
MaxSeatDown=-0.20
these values seem maybe big sometimes but anyway give enough field of choice for any car for forth and rear moves with the mouse ingame.

NB: the only reason I might understand for low field of move is the fact that some rear moves might hide the front view behind a rear 3D part of the cockpit according to a chosen FOV. ( mostly for the case of a prototype or sports car )

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea