AC FAT-ALFIE CHAMPIONSHIP 2023 ABARTH/MAZDA

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hi Christopher,

I like your enthusiasm. So I want you to know that most of these guys at the Abarth/Mazda events have been doing that almost every week for quite some time now. And they've all gotten faster and more consistent. So if you're way off the pace, keep in mind that there are seconds to be gained by staying involved and learning from others. Also these guys are very helpful with tips and setup suggestions.

So my message is: Don't get discouraged if you are a backmarker in the first races. On the contrary, it is a great opportunity to become faster yourself.

The races last from dawn to dusk with even a little bit of darkness. At Watkind Glen I had problems with my favorite PP-Filters (RealityFilter and TrueColors) under darker conditions.

I'll switch to ILP_natural, which was recently updated and is my favorite (again) for every condition.

If you've signed up for this championship then consider signing up for that parallel version run with classic cars. First race tomorrow ..

Thread 'CLASSIC Fat-Alfie Championship, Round 1 of 6 - Thompson Road, Tue 17th October 2023' https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...6-thompson-road-tue-17th-october-2023.264429/

We've already got a good sized grid - but the more the merrier. It's Fat-Alfie, so what's not to like!

The track is great. At first I didn't like it. But it got more and more exciting with every lap.

The actual "parallel" races are an interesting opportunity to compare the Mazda and the Alfa/Ford on the same track.
With the Mazda, I'm in the last third of the grid, regarding the times in the practice. That's totally OK for me and a skill I already reached at Watkins Glen or Schottenring.
But with the Alfa/Ford, I can't even get close to the rest. The same is for the past races, so I didn't join there.
With the Mazda I'm passably in the game, but no chance with the Alfa/Ford.
Of course, classic cars with vintage tyres are hard to handle, but I got quite familiar with the Ferrari 312/67 at Zolder or Imola, for example.
Weird.

The track is great. At first I didn't like it. But it got more and more exciting with every lap.

The actual "parallel" races are an interesting opportunity to compare the Mazda and the Alfa/Ford on the same track.
With the Mazda, I'm in the last third of the grid, regarding the times in the practice. That's totally OK for me and a skill I already reached at Watkins Glen or Schottenring.
But with the Alfa/Ford, I can't even get close to the rest. The same is for the past races, so I didn't join there.
With the Mazda I'm passably in the game, but no chance with the Alfa/Ford.
Of course, classic cars with vintage tyres are hard to handle, but I got quite familiar with the Ferrari 312/67 at Zolder or Imola, for example.
Weird.
Hi Dirk,

Now you know why we all love the Fat-Alfie tracks.
Yes vintage cars are hard but also very educational if you want to go a step further than the Mazda. As you have experienced with the Abarth/Mazda there's a learning curve for which you must drive a lot in practice and the race. When trying vintage cars, the curve almost starts again. Mastering those cars will definitely make you a better driver in every car.
Don't be disappointed in your pace. If you like driving the car anyway, speed and consistency will come.

I give up (can't find on help site), what is the blue box next to driver name on the Emperor live timing screen?:)
blue box.jpg

Seconded what Allan says. I'm no where near as fast in classic cars as I am in the mx5, but I learned a ton about throttle and brake control in the old cars, a long with weight transfer.

The mx5 races let you practice more side by side racing, but my personal view is that racing any kind of car will teach you something useful you can then bring back when you hop on your favorite car.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 135 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 55 35.0%