F1 Academy 'Pin's punishment'

Pete Conway

Premium
I found out recently that Doriane Pin had her win in the second race removed for something that happened after the race had officially finished.
Doriane had led the race from pole to flag but failed to see the flag, she continued at full race speed for a further lap and eventually had to be red flagged to fetch her home!
Now, I understand that this is dangerous, very dangerous, but the punishment of a drive through penalty for something that happened after the race to me at least doesn't make sense, and, as the race was over it was converted to a 20 second penalty dropping her to 9th!

There are all sorts of questions like what about team radio, what about the massive 'marshal' multicoloured flag waving that's traditional at the end of the race on the in lap, it's not like she continued after the race knowingly, (are newer drivers not given 'pit board' training now).

I personally believe that any punishment worn by her should have been for the next race not the race that was won correctly through hard work, as for the team... yeah perhaps take their points away for not realising that their driver was still flat out, that's careless management.

What do you guys think?

I'm ok with it. If she lost radio contact with the team (must have been late or surely pitboard would be used), then she really should have been keeping her eyes open for the flag. Would have known there wasn't long to go.

I'm ok with it. If she lost radio contact with the team (must have been late or surely pitboard would be used), then she really should have been keeping her eyes open for the flag. Would have known there wasn't long to go.
Absolutely agree that she'd know there's not long to go, but my astonishment is that the race was over and legally won, the flag had dropped and she was punished for an act after that point, if the stewards were to have given her a grid drop for the next race... fine, perhaps even a one race ban I'd be OK with that, as for the radio, she said "why didn't you tell me"

Damon Hill says waving the chequered flag was 20 feet up and perhaps in the blind spot, but there should be lights or something to show the winner, and the team should have been on the blower to her congratulating her on the win... a team fault but it's the results change that gets me, after all, it could happen if a driver wins and speeds in the pitlane coming back

Having said that, I think dropping 8 places is a little harsh. Maybe a 5 gridspot drop but that in itself is a penalty for doing nothing wrong in that race and also could end in a way worse result starting further down the grid anyway.
Bit weird if she still had radio contact just how the heck it happened.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.