F1 1991 Season Custom AI

Other F1 1991 Season Custom AI F1 1991 Season Custom AI V1.3.1 (F-Classic Gen3)

Login or Register an account to download this content

Timo Dick

Premium
unbremsbar74 submitted a new resource:

F1 Season 1991 Custom AI - XML with Real Names and Authentic Skills for all 26 Drivers [F-Classic Gen3]

DESCRIPTION
I set out to create the most accurate Custom AI for the 1991 Formula 1 season. My file is an evolution of Hammerheart86's file which is also available here in the DL section. Once again many kudos to Hammerheart86 for delivering a strong basis I could build upon!

NOTE
You will also need to install the real F1 1991 skins...

Read more about this resource...

Great work on the file and the video, Timo - I look forward to trying the file later.

Your points re: qualifying and pit strategy AI, the need for adjustable failure rates and driver skins are ones I would love to see Reiza address soon. The complete lack of DNFs is a major immersion breaker when trying to recreate old F1 races/seasons. I don't really understand why sims in recent years/decades have moved away from these realistic aspects - maybe the focus on online racing I guess. I still find myself going back to games like IndyCar Racing 2 for the immersion factor of offline racing where every race feels (somewhat) realistic in terms of what goes on beyond your control.

One thing I would add to your 'wishlist' for Reiza is an ability to add additional car slots to enable pre-qualifying. Some people may forget that despite being quick, Jordan had to prequalify for the first half of the 1991 season, which wasn't always straightforward!

I hope you can keep refining this, and I would love to see you applying this thorough approach to other F1 years and historic series at some point!

Great Ai File, I have just one Problem, for me the Driver names for Tyrrell, Brabham and Lola don´t show up.
Check if there are any critical characters in the data of these teams/drivers, maybe retype their names (perhaps without accents) or try removing the file from your folder and copy it again into it. Both ways have worked for me when I had issues with XML files.

Last edited:
Check if there are any critical characters in the data of these teams/drivers, maybe retype their names (perhaps without accents) or try removing the file from your folder and copy it again into it. Both ways have worked for me when I had issues with XML files.
I'm getting the same weird issues with Tyrrell, Brabham, Lola and Footwork drivers. I've tried copying in the file again and also changing a few characters with accents, etc, but it hasn't fixed it for me and I can't make any sense of it. Will try again tomorrow if I get some time.

I'm getting the same weird issues with Tyrrell, Brabham, Lola and Footwork drivers. I've tried copying in the file again and also changing a few characters with accents, etc, but it hasn't fixed it for me and I can't make any sense of it. Will try again tomorrow if I get some time.
Hm, maybe this helps:
1. Cut the complete entries concerned out of the XML and copy them for reference in another file. A complete entry looks like this:
<driver livery_name="Lola-Ford #30">
<name>Aguri Suzuki</name>
<country>JPN</country>
<race_skill>0.62</race_skill>
<qualifying_skill>0.61</qualifying_skill>
<aggression>0.6</aggression>
<defending>0</defending>
<stamina>0.4</stamina>
<consistency>0.4</consistency>
<start_reactions>0.7</start_reactions>
<wet_skill>0.8</wet_skill>
<tyre_management>0.9</tyre_management>
<blue_flag_conceding>1.0</blue_flag_conceding>
<weather_tyre_changes>0.9</weather_tyre_changes>
</driver>

2. Duplicate an existing (working) entry within the XML and ...
3. ... put in the data of the missing drivers and teams manually.

Last edited:
Hm, maybe this helps:
1. Cut the complete entries concerned out of the XML and copy them for reference in another file. A complete entry looks like this:
<driver livery_name="Lola-Ford #30">
<name>Aguri Suzuki</name>
<country>JPN</country>
<race_skill>0.62</race_skill>
<qualifying_skill>0.61</qualifying_skill>
<aggression>0.6</aggression>
<defending>0</defending>
<stamina>0.4</stamina>
<consistency>0.4</consistency>
<start_reactions>0.7</start_reactions>
<wet_skill>0.8</wet_skill>
<tyre_management>0.9</tyre_management>
<blue_flag_conceding>1.0</blue_flag_conceding>
<weather_tyre_changes>0.9</weather_tyre_changes>
</driver>

2. Duplicate an existing (working) entry within the XML and ...
3. ... put in the data of the missing drivers and teams manually.
Thanks - I'll try to get to the bottom of it later. It's seems quite odd to me that the same file will work for some and not others. If I can figure out what's causing it I'll report back.

Aha! I believe I have figured it. The critical text is the name of the car (in reference to its custom livery file elsewhere) - it must be identical to the name shown on the 'Livery Select' screen in game. If it is not identical to an existing livery name, the game does not associate the driver with any car. So - the following changes to the XML file are needed:
  • Tyrrell & Brabham drivers: all need a "0" before their car number - e.g. "Brabham-Yamaha #07".
  • Lola drivers: Engine name needs to be changed from Ford to Lamborghini -e.g. "Lola-Lamborghini #29"
  • Footwook drivers: Engine name needs to be changed from Ford to Porsche - e.g. Footwork-Porsche #09"
I've tested the changes and now they all work fine :geek:

Last edited:
Aha! I believe I have figured it. The critical text is the name of the car (in reference to its custom livery file elsewhere) - it must be identical to the name shown on the 'Livery Select' screen in game. If it is not identical to an existing livery name, the game does not associate the driver with any car. So - the following changes to the XML file are needed:
  • Tyrrell & Brabham drivers: all need a "0" before their car number - e.g. "Brabham-Yamaha #07".
  • Lola drivers: Engine name needs to be changed from Ford to Lamborghini -e.g. "Lola-Lamborghini #29"
  • Footwook drivers: Engine name needs to be changed from Ford to Porsche - e.g. Footwork-Porsche #09"
I've tested the changes and now they all work fine :geek:
Awesome, thanks for this! Will have a look into, revise the file accordingly and re-upload it.

My bad, because I edited the livery names in the override-xml on my personal installation to get rid of the actual unnecessary 0 in the car numbers.

Last edited:
A little anecdotal feedback: I ran a 25% length race at Imola with 5x tire wear and historical weather and it worked pretty well (for anyone without the time for 50%/100% races!). Even with a very short quali session (10mins) the grid was very plausible (though I'm sure some drivers suffered from lack of clear track as outlined in your video, but I think this in a way creates some realistic variation to the results).

All cars did a 1 stop 'strategy' (stops were not mandatory), and this was spread over a window of around 4 laps - which seemed a good compromise experience for a short (15 lap) race. You really need to take care of your tires at 5x wear. Mansell won well ahead of Prost, but the race generated some interesting results down the field - e.g. De Cesaris finished 4th after undercutting Senna and a couple of others who lost significant time in traffic after pitting. Gachot qualified poorly, but fought back for a decent top-10 finish - etc.

As a test for a 'compressed' championship I would like to run - this all seemed promising, but it really needs some mechanical failures to add to the mix.

unbremsbar74 updated F1 1991 Season Custom AI with a new update entry:

V1.01 Compatibility Fix

V1.01 fixes an issue with names not showing up correctly in-game.

Users have reported driver names for Tyrrell, Brabham and Lola do not show up correctly in-game but would be replaced by generic data. This was caused by spelling differences of livery names between the Custom AI XML and the corresponding XML in the override folder where the liveries are located.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Hey @unbremsbar74 - sorry to be the nitpicking guy, but it might help someone - v1.01 still has one small error. Alboreto's Footwork number needs a leading zero when using the original 1991 livery pack files. I.e. it needs to be <driver livery_name="Footwork-Porsche #09"> :thumbsup:

By the way - I ran the same race as yesterday at Imola again. Some interesting under/over cuts with the pit stops again, but the most striking thing to me was that it seems almost impossible for two closely matched AI drivers to overtake each other unless there is a third car involved to complicate things. Mansell was behind Senna for the whole race, and clearly slightly quicker on the day, but could not find a way past. They were basically nose to tail (almost touching, in a slightly ridiculous way - like bump drafting) most of the way around, with Senna weaving back and forth to block any attempted move by Mansell on the straights.

I don't know if anything in the driver attributes can properly address that - maybe more of an overall AI logic issue. Might try toning down their defense figures to see if it makes any noticeable difference.

F1 1991 Season Custom AI V1.1 (F-Classic Gen3)

After doing a whole Custom Championship with hundreds of laps and thousands of kilometers of testing, practising, hotlapping, and racing, I herewith present the revised version on my Custom AI file for the F1 1991 Season (F-Classic Gen3).

This version is an evolution of 1.01 and features more in-depth fine-tweaking of values as well as a complete setup of the wet skill which I had not touched in previous versions. Too make it even more realistic, I had to further decrease the race and quali...

F1 1991 Season Custom AI V1.2 (F-Classic Gen3) ADDED AVOIDANCE VALUES!

Starting on AMS2 V1.3.5.0, Reiza implemented forced and unforced mistakes logic for AI. Regarding Custom AI we can now determine the likelihood of forced and unforced mistakes personality values for AI drivers. Accordingly, the newest version of my Custom AI for F-Classic Gen3 / F 1 1991 includes the new avoidance_of_mistakes and avoidance_of_forced_mistakes personality values.

Have fun, check itr out, give me feedback!

Last edited:

F1 1991 Season Custom AI V1.2 (F-Classic Gen3) ADDED AVOIDANCE VALUES!

With V1.3.5.0, Reiza implemented forced and unforced mistakes logic for AI. Regarding Custom AI we can now determine the likelihood of forced and unforced mistakes personality values for AI drivers. Accordingly, the newest version of my Custom AI for F-Classic Gen3 / F 1 1991 includes the new avoidance_of_mistakes and avoidance_of_forced_mistakes personality values.

Have fun, check it out, give me feedback!

F1 1991 Season Custom AI V1.3 (F-Classic Gen3) ADDED VEHICLE RELIABILITY

Reiza lately included "Vehicle Reliability" is another driver's value to determine the odds of a DNF. In my newest update I have included this value for all driver's based on their 1991 real-life results and using Reiza's formula.

Tip: Put "Fuel Consumption" to "Off" or "Authentic" or allow Refueling (though not accurate) to prevent the AI from DNFing due to running out of fuel. ATM the tank volume is too low for these cars to complete a full race distance like in 1991, eg 53 laps at Monza...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Forum trophies