Experiences with 3drap wheel kit?

stigs2cousin

Premium
Hallo people,

i´m contemplating building a GT3 wheel with a 3drap kit.

I want it as light as possible because because my t300 isn´t the strongest wheelbase in the world und works better with light wheels.
( Thrustmaster F1 wheel feels better than the 599 Alcantara feels better than a dished OMP on an adaptor, ranked from light to heavier)

What i´m wondering about is the stability and rigidity of the the carbon fiber kit.
(This is where the TM F1 wheel can´t convince at all. It´s flexy and creaky :sick:)

The plates itself should be fine, but the connectors ( which are connection nuts from the home improvement store plus
3d printed spacers) make me wonder?!?

If that should be the only problem i could have better all aluminium spacers made by a friend who has a mechanical engineering shop.

The wheel should be strong enough to follow me to a direct drive wheel base when the time ( and finances) is right.

So what is your take:

is the kit solid enough for my goals ore should i go for something better but more expensive?

Thanks for your advice

MFG Carsten

Hi Carsten,
been there, done that. :)
Built myself a wheel with that kit back in 2018, started using it on my Thrustmaster TX and swapped to a Sim-Plicity SW8C+ this year.
Don't worry about stability, the connection between both the plates is very sturdy, as is the 3D printed Wheelbase adaptor.

Speaking of which: If you're planning to switch to a DD wheel base later, you may want to order the kit with the OSW/QR type and PM me about the Thrustmaster adaptor I still have but do not need any more. ;)

Best,
Andreas

Attachments

• IMG_20181118_205946730.jpg
    IMG_20181118_205946730.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20200505_205325435.jpg
    IMG_20200505_205325435.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
So, I took the plunge and ordered the 3drap GT3 kit.

While I can feel some flex when twisting it on the wheelbase, its perfectly solid when driving.
the connectors mentioned above are now bespoke turned steel parts, no problem there anymore.
In the mean time I upgraded from T300 to Simucube2 pro, it´s sturdy enough for a direct drive wheel, just as Andreas said.

The magnetic shifters are great, They have a strong clicky feel and sound which suits me just fine.
You feel the clicks even when hopping over the "motocross track" in Zandvoort GP or rijeca.

What i don´t like is that the 3d printed "shroud" which covers the sides has abit of gap on the upper side where it bites the eye :mad:

Could be a mounting error by me, when the final electronics arrive i will try to get rid of the gap.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%