ESC Key and In Game Menu

I've reached the end of my capabilities after two days surfing the web and trying various fixes to the game. The problem is as follows: When I hit ESC to access the pits menu, the view switches to outside the car and a small horizontal menu shows up. Left to right it reads, Resume, Pits, Restart Session, Photo Mode and Exit. I can move the view around the car with the mouse. (I'm not sure which camera view this is. ) I can also see the pits menu inside the car in its usual position.
I click Pits on the outside menu and the view switches to the normal driver view and the pits menu bar is on the left as usual. I can then operate the menu as normal.

I drive exclusively in VR and it's even worse. When the view changes to outside the car the little horizontal menu doesn't show up and I can't get back inside the car. I have to look through the window, from a considerable distance, to click the in car menu to return to the driver's view.

What do I have to do to return the ESC key operation to default; i.e. pits menu?

I can't find any place in AC or in Content Manager to bind the escape key or to change it's behavior. It appears to maybe be a camera setting but I can't find those either. I've been inside every cfg and ini file and have deleted and reloaded several folders but nothing returns the ESC key to normal operation.

Help Mr. Wizard!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea