Default or custom FFB

Default or Custom FFB, what are you using

• Default or Default + FFB

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • A Custom FFB profile

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
Hey guys/girls,

I'm curious as to what FFB profiles people are using?

Prior to the v1.39 update I was fairly happy with default ffb on my Thrustmaster TX and felt the physics/ffb we're heading in the right direction.
In-game settings:
65/10/50/40

Since update v1.40 I've been struggling to get anything half decent to the point I was convinced I was experiencing another random Madness bug.
I've done everything under the moon to sort the issue, to finally reinstalling the title which helped a bit but not nearly enough or to where it was prior to v1.40

I mainly drive the GT cars as I can reference them to other titles.

Straight line feedback is fine, I can feel bumps, curbs and all the other chatter effects.
The issues I'm having...
When turning the wheel and cornering it's just a spring that gets heavier to a point than lightens and snaps back when grip is lost.
I have zero sense of 4 tires being connected to the road, along with any tire detail building up to the peak grip or detail of slippage or sliding.
Just weight, no micro details and makes the car feel disconnected during cornering.
It's like the wheel is clipping and sending max power the second I start to turn until grip is lost

With default ffb I also lack longitudinal effects when breaking, it's a bit better with default + but find that profile to be over processed and makes the issues above even more springy.

I've tried the default custom and it was a bit better but not great.
I've also used the the rfuktor custom file prior to update 1.4 and it was very good but I kinda felt it almost had too much going that it felt a bit unnatural.
I have yet to revisit that file since reinstalling the title.

All in all....I'm pretty simple when it comes to the ffb effects I need to get around the track.
A sense of load under braking
Detail in cornering grip as the tire heats and wears.
Chassis feedback
Slippage.

I don't need a hundred different vibrations while driving in a straight line or 20 different levels of wear and tear effects.

All that being said.....let me know what you use or if your using a TX or T300 with default what settings you are using :)

Cheers,
David

You need to upgrade your custom FFB after 1.4, the old ones don't feel good any more with the new physics. There are two schools of custom FFB, the Danielkart ones that feel very odd to me (like the front tyres are floating in air) but many people swear after them, and the more traditional ones based on Karsten Hvidberg's original files.

I have given up on the Default and its stroppy riding-a-bull-on-corner-exit feeling a long time ago.

With my Logitech G25, I use Reiza's Default profile (not the Default+) with their recommended setting of 100/60/50/0. After an initial period of acclimatization, I have to admit these settings produce a very predictable feel and level of feedback across a very wide range of vehicles. In short, if something feels noticeably off--like the Formula Trainers a few updates back--I feel confident the problem is on Reiza's end, and not something endless trifling on my end will solve. "Set it and forget it" is my preferred approach to FFB--although a G25 does rather simplify my options....

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I was under impression that Default+ supposed to be based on some community Custom profile, but in the current state it seems like the worst out of all options available.
I have tried some different community Customs before, I still think the best one was Heavy Messing from NuScorpii, unfortunately it is not very usable with current version of AMS2 FFB, all other Custom profiles are just way too much of post processing and modder vision, leaving little from original physics generated signal, this is why I think default Custom works the best, as it's just pure steering rack from physics with very little fancy stuff on the top.
I also feel that whatever "dynamic" damping Reiza is using in Default and Default+ is messing a lot of things up, my understanding that they were trying to mimic what Kunos has done in ACC, but IMHO success is questionable at best.

I was under impression that Default+ supposed to be based on some community Custom profile, but in the current state it seems like the worst out of all options available.
I have tried some different community Customs before, I still think the best one was Heavy Messing from NuScorpii, unfortunately it is not very usable with current version of AMS2 FFB, all other Custom profiles are just way too much of post processing and modder vision, leaving little from original physics generated signal, this is why I think default Custom works the best, as it's just pure steering rack from physics with very little fancy stuff on the top.
I also feel that whatever "dynamic" damping Reiza is using in Default and Default+ is messing a lot of things up, my understanding that they were trying to mimic what Kunos has done in ACC, but IMHO success is questionable at best.
I have to agree that Reiza’s “steering rack only” Custom option was quite an eye-opener when it dropped along with their revised suggestions for FFB settings. The quickest test for any vehicle, IMHO, is to drive it under Reiza’s Custom profile—if it sucks under those stripped-down conditions, just leave it on the back burner and pick one of the many cars that are better sorted.

Also, a hierarchical approach, where you find good wheel settings under Reiza Custom first, and (using those settings as a base) then Default, and then Default+ … and finally compare the three, proved to me, at least, that the Default profile—with their recommended G25 settings—was definitely the best for my G25. Haven’t looked back since.

Last edited:
By my estimation--for whatever that may be worth in yours--I'd have to assent to the GT1, BMW M1, Group C, Group A, Porsche RSR '74, The "name-brand" Retros, GT3, GT4, SuperV8, and so on.
I mainly drive the GT cars....scrolling through the Reiza forms I've come across several threads claiming several things may not be working properly.
TC & ABS.
A couple of mentions that the diffs may be wonky again and some are finding the cars drive better after lowering some of the diff settings.
Unoptimized base tunes
People having issues when making tuning adjustments not saving.

It would be nice if Reiza stickied a few threads on there forum to inform us of......
Which vehicles have been optimized
Optimized AI, track combos

In regards to cars that are better sorted......which ones would those be?

Come to think of it, I think it may be harder now to generate a list of cars that definitely do not still work in AMS2. I originally thought the Lotus 23 in AMS2 sucked, but after spending some extra time behind the wheel and watching some in-car Lotus 23 videos at the track, I'm starting to consider the possibility the fault might just lie more with me and my driving style than with the car itself. Certainly, AMS2 has its issues--what sim doesn't--but the driving experience itself has improved dramatically.

I mainly drive the GT cars....scrolling through the Reiza forms I've come across several threads claiming several things may not be working properly.
TC & ABS.
A couple of mentions that the diffs may be wonky again and some are finding the cars drive better after lowering some of the diff settings.
Unoptimized base tunes
People having issues when making tuning adjustments not saving.

It would be nice if Reiza stickied a few threads on there forum to inform us of......
Which vehicles have been optimized
Optimized AI, track combos
Definitely--the latest Christmas build has its share of coal lumps smattered among the shiny presents. And I totally agree that despite its massive improvements AMS2 remains--how should I put this--inconsistent. There are certain car and track combos where everything comes together--pure driving pleasure, great atmosphere, close racing, etc. ... but I take the same car to another locale and suddenly I utterly annihilate the AI without effort, and by the second lap the only thing stopping me is my own attention span. Or, I stay at the same track, pick a different vehicle, and experience the same inconsistency. Or maybe everything is perfect--except for one bloody curve at the track where there is an inexplicable gap in pace ... great when there are places to be made up, but jarring.

Yet, in all fairness, AMS2 has more than enough sweet spots where the stars align to keep me looking for more of them.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

77pvez.jpg

I just use the default profile.

FFB as most people expect it to behave in games isn't a simulation of any real world force, so might as well choose whatever fantasy effect you like best.

I use Default with a Simagic Alpha Mini. All I really care about is knowing when the outside of the car is loaded up so I can tell when I'm at the limit and then to feel when it gets light as I move into understeer. I have two small tactile transducer pucks to make me feel the road.

Last edited:
Little update,
I've been sticking with the default custom ffb file....still struggling, but as mentioned I've been testing the GT cars.

The GT3 & GT4 really don't handle like any other titles and due to that....I'm struggling with them.
Using authentic aids and base tune...the cars understeer when cornering, oversteer on exit, ABS and TC don't seem to work.
This morning I gave the GTE class ago and to my surprise....they were great and handled well.
So how is a more powerful GTE handle better?
I can lock the brakes but it was minimal, and there was hardly any oversteer compared the GT3/4 class cars running 8 TC & 8 abs?
Am I reading the settings wrong?
Higher setting = more assist is what I assumed.

So not sure what's going on with the GT3/4 cars, TC/abs not working combined with poor base tunes and what ever bugs mixed in.

On the topic of bugs...
As mentioned I did a complete reinstall of the game just a few days back which helped with a majority of ffb and physics issues I was having....I didn't save or install any old files, no mods skins or anything.
I started noticing white dotted lines around all the vehicles this morning?
so I did a steam integrity check and it came back with 14 missing files but still have the dotted lines issue.

Is this a game issue or possibly hardware issue on my end?

Only happens with this game and it always seems to be missing files when do integrity checks.

Last edited:
I spent several hrs this morning testing different in-game files putting everything to 0 except gain/strength

The following text is from Reiza regarding the default custom.

• CUSTOM as shipped with the game is just barebones steering torque acting around steering (kingpin) axis. No road vibration feedback, no damping, no friction - this profile however is editable by a user via the ffb_custom_settings.txt file located in Documents/AMS2/. Please note this is NOT customizing any of the Default profiles above, but rather allowing users to write their own FFB script using LISP-like syntax.
It says no road vibrations, dampening or friction.....so "I" assume that if I tried increasing FX and dampening it would have no effect as it has no coding.
I have tried and felt no difference.
So only the gain and min ffb strength would have effects on the ffb ?

Is that how you guys read it?

In regards to custom ffb, does anyone have any experience or a link to a how to video?

If I could just add chassis effects and braking feedback to the default custom file, I think I would be pretty content.....but have no idea how to do that?

It says no road vibrations, dampening or friction.....so "I" assume that if I tried increasing FX and dampening it would have no effect as it has no coding.

Yeah, that is how I read it and also I concur with your experience of using the FX slider. As I mentioned previously, I use some budget tactile pucks and a BK to get the other effects, so this works ok for me, but if you are just using the wheel then it's likely to be less than ideal.

If I could just add chassis effects and braking feedback to the default custom file, I think I would be pretty content.....but have no idea how to do that?
I started to investigate a similar approach, but ended up sticking with the additional tactile. I found a reference file for the variables available, but it seemed to go back to the PC2 days and I wasn't sure if it's fully up-to-date. I made a copy on github, but unfortunately I forgot where I originally got it from: https://gist.github.com/GeekyDeaks/d2a5e680931b24213b584bf8aae29343#file-instructions

EDIT: the ones that seem interesting from an effects standpoint in that file are the variables exposing the forces on the tyres, e.g. FL_load.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is how I read it and also I concur with your experience of using the FX slider. As I mentioned previously, I use some budget tactile pucks and a BK to get the other effects, so this works ok for me, but if you are just using the wheel then it's likely to be less than ideal.

I started to investigate a similar approach, but ended up sticking with the additional tactile. I found a reference file for the variables available, but it seemed to go back to the PC2 days and I wasn't sure if it's fully up-to-date. I made a copy on github, but unfortunately I forgot where I originally got it from: https://gist.github.com/GeekyDeaks/d2a5e680931b24213b584bf8aae29343#file-instructions

EDIT: the ones that seem interesting from an effects standpoint in that file are the variables exposing the forces on the tyres, e.g. FL_load.
thank you!

Ya I got a buttkicker and a couple of rumble motors as well

Last edited:
I spent several hrs this morning testing different in-game files putting everything to 0 except gain/strength

The following text is from Reiza regarding the default custom.

• CUSTOM as shipped with the game is just barebones steering torque acting around steering (kingpin) axis. No road vibration feedback, no damping, no friction - this profile however is editable by a user via the ffb_custom_settings.txt file located in Documents/AMS2/. Please note this is NOT customizing any of the Default profiles above, but rather allowing users to write their own FFB script using LISP-like syntax.

In regards to custom ffb, does anyone have any experience or a link to a how to video?

V50 by Daniel incredible this file

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 463 70.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 305 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 179 27.1%
Back