Could this old laptop do some sim racing?

Hello, I come to you as someone who plays console games but I'm wondering if I have a chance to try sim racing on PC. I don't have much understanding of different CPUs and GPUs so I'm struggling to tell if I am anywhere near meeting system requirements. Your advice appreciated!

I have an old laptop - not a gaming laptop but it does appear to have a dedicated GPU so I thought it might be worth a shot, perhaps with an older game like Assetto Corsa. I think the laptop may have come out around the same time as AC did? Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-4310U (CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.6 GHz)
8GB RAM DDR3 PC3L-12800 1600mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M
SSD
Windows 10
(Screenshots with more detailed specs attached)

It's a Dell Latitude E5440 with HDMI out, I would be aiming to run at 720p resolution since I have a 720p TV I can use. I play plenty of old games e.g. PS2 so not fussed about high resolution or fancy graphics, and I'm fine around 30fps... is this gonna happen?

My other thought if AC isn't feasible... would I have any chance of running PS2 emulation so I could try Gran Turismo 4 online? I know Richard Burns Rally is another old game so technically might be in with a shot, but I'm more into circuit racing. Would love to get online instead of racing PS2-era AI!

Attachments

• GPU info.jpg
    GPU info.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Specs.jpg
    Specs.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 36
On paper that laptop just barely meets the minimum requirements to run the original Assetto Corsa. But laptops usually don't perform quite as well as their desktop counterparts. It "might" run ok. If you're not in a hurry I would wait until the next big Steam sale to score it cheap. Google suggests the next big sale starts on November 21.

On paper that laptop just barely meets the minimum requirements to run the original Assetto Corsa. But laptops usually don't perform quite as well as their desktop counterparts. It "might" run ok. If you're not in a hurry I would wait until the next big Steam sale to score it cheap. Google suggests the next big sale starts on November 21.
Ok that's good to know, thanks for your reply. Yeah I guess that's the best way forward, only real way to find out I guess! I've added it to my Steam Wishlist so will see if a bargain comes up.

I think you might be able to hit 30fps @ 720p. That processor is pretty weak but you might have a chance.

I would think a ps2 emulator might not work due to the low end CPU. Ive been told emulators are very resource intensive. Never really tried them much myself.

Heres the closest comparison I could find...

I think you might be able to hit 30fps @ 720p. That processor is pretty weak but you might have a chance.

I would think a ps2 emulator might not work due to the low end CPU. Ive been told emulators are very resource intensive. Never really tried them much myself.

Heres the closest comparison I could find...

Thanks Michael. Sounds like AC may be my best bet then. I'll try a similar setup to that video, with some of the graphical effects set to off/low.

I assume I'll want to make sure nothing else is running on the laptop, restart it before playing etc... any other tips?

I guess I'll leave mods alone unless there is anything designed to help low spec machines? I got the impression the mod stuff was more about graphical enhancements for newer machines.

Ah that's cool I had not come across some of those older games (GLT, GTR2, Live For Speed). It looks like Live For Speed still has people racing online, anyone know if this is the case for the other sims?

I'm not super into rally or F1 (something a bit slower is probably best for me!) otherwise RBR or GP4 could have been good. I appreciate all the tips.

And Grand Prix 4, Richard Burns Rally, Live for speed...

Oldies but goldies

My thanks to you alfye20, because I'd never heard of Live For Speed, but I ended up trying it out, and it's working nicely on the weak laptop! Have adjusted settings and it runs at 720p between 30-50 fps with 12 cars on track :)

Once I've spent a bit more time getting used to the cars and tracks I will be heading online for sure. Excited to race with real people at last.

My thanks to you alfye20, because I'd never heard of Live For Speed, but I ended up trying it out, and it's working nicely on the weak laptop! Have adjusted settings and it runs at 720p between 30-50 fps with 12 cars on track :)

Once I've spent a bit more time getting used to the cars and tracks I will be heading online for sure. Excited to race with real people at last.
FYI - Steam is having one of their big sales right now. :)

I grabbed Assetto Corsa in the sale but it looks like my GPU isn't up to the task. With default settings I got about 10 FPS and even with everything turned down/off and resolution at 640 x 480 it was still only 20 - even I will draw that line at that. Having already been through and gutted the settings in the options menu, I'm assuming there isn't much else to be done.

I was thinking of trying out RaceRoom as well, does anyone know how it compares to AC for GPU load?

Failing that I will be sticking with Live For Speed. Still a few people online there to race against.

Attachments

• Performance monitor AC.jpg
    Performance monitor AC.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering