Change Fov rendering under VR?

Hello there , i would like to ask if its there a way to change the fov renering under VR? The default is 54.Why i want that , well i have tried I-racing where the default fov under VR was is 45 and its better then 54 on Assetto Corsa.I`ve tried to change the cfg files values in Assetto Corsa but the oculus bypass them , and gets the default value of 54.Is there any other way to modifie that fov value at which Oculus will render the picture?.I hope someone from Kunos can give some hints ;) .Thanks in advance

Changing the FOV value is possible using CM but it will not affect the field of view in VR. That is fix.
It will affect only one aspect and that is how the LOD are switching. In VR, while following a car, at 56, you will see the LOD change as the distance increase, if you use 40, you will not anymore.

Afaik in VR you don't have any FOV settings as that would cause problems for the users.
You have the calculated, correct, "real" fov, with borders left and right. If you would change that you would shape the 3D vision in an unnatural way.
Now I don't understand why iRacing should have a different one compared to AC. I'd say the slider is for the monitor view you can stream etc?
Maybe your seat position is just completely different?

Changing the FOV value is possible using CM but it will not affect the field of view in VR. That is fix.
It will affect only one aspect and that is how the LOD are switching. In VR, while following a car, at 56, you will see the LOD change as the distance increase, if you use 40, you will not anymore.
This may be a way to bump performance in VR a bit I guess, by increasing that value to 65 for example (LOD will drop sooner)?

This may be a way to bump performance in VR a bit I guess, by increasing that value to 65 for example (LOD will drop sooner)?
I have not noticed a difference in performance in lowering the value, have you?

@RasmusP changing FOV value in VR as no effect whatsoever except for what I described in my post, so except for that, changing the FOV does nothing in VR.

Last edited:
What you mean by - LOD ? What is LOD ?

What you mean by - LOD ? What is LOD ?
LOD are the different version of the same cars. in AC, or other SIM, the car as 3 or 4 version, each one as less and less details, and it is change automatically by the game, as the car is further away from you in order to not be so heavy on the GPU. Depending of you resolution and the FOV you are using, you can see the changes from level 1 to level 2, you will notice details appearing and disappearing as the distance from the car in front of you varies. In VR, changing FOV does not affect FOV but will affect when you see the LOD switching. A low FOV will prevent you from seeing the switch without affecting anything else, not even FPS performance.

What you can do to make it feel more real is install the beta of SteamVR and use the global scale, for me I had to make everything a bit bigger. What I did for 1:1 scale is stand up next to the car, touch the ground and measure the height of the car compared to my body and then change the global view settings to fit it. For example AE86 is 1,33m high, measured it in real life and put my headset at that level. Changed the global scale to make it fit and boom, 1:1 measurements. I look at the wheel now, take off the headset and have the exact same scale and position in real life. Made it feel kind of faster too, a thing that messed with my head before as I could not really feel the right speed to go into a corner.
Steam right click on SteamVR and chose the newest beta.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back