Race2: GTC65 - all vehicles
Race3: GTC76 - all vehicles

Default GTL cars + skins ONLY

Track: Riverside Nascar
Start Time: 20.00 GMT
Practice: 5 mins (just joining time)
Qualification: 15 mins - (no lap limit)
Race: 10 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: This is a NON Rankings Point event.
Note3: Default skins only
Note4: If you drove at Goodwood last week, you may not choose the same cars for this event

As with the Goodwood event, no sign ups required, we will see you if we see you.

Another great track tonight, just loved driving round and round.
Picked the Falcon for TC65, which was the quickest car by a second or so, and lined up alongside Yves, with Neil behind in the other Falcon. Yves started badly so i was unopposed for the esses, and i managed to build a lead to the end. Looks like some fun & games were had by the guys behind though!

Race 2 was with the AC Cobra and was a crazy oversteery nightmare of a car! Me & Nige tried to stay with Jay's GT40 ahead, but it was just too quick, so we had a battle of our own, finishing with Nige ahead. It was amazing neither of us ended up upside down/off-track/on fire, but we managed it!

Race: i picked the CSL Schnitzer, which was safe and predictable, and a nice contrast to the Cobra. Despite absolutely driving the wheels off it in qualie, i was still 3s down on Bob's Pantera! As expected, Bob took off in P1, followed by myself and then Jay in the 911. I ran wide at the tight uphill right-hander, Jay went through, and we had a tight duel for a few laps which included Bob slowing down ahead and letting the top 3 through. The 911 and CSL were quite evenly matched but Jay dropped down a gear too many and spun. Bob blasted past on the straight and that was the last i saw of him. I continued to drive at qualie speed to keep a gap to the other Pantera of Phil (good job to get up there) behind me.

Cheers thommo, these events have been a nice change of pace and, from my experience anyway, have had excellent driving standards throughout.

P.S.- can i add Riverside NS to my track wishlist for the Mustang Boss series?!

Yep, these "Open events" are a breath of fresh air - I'll try and do at least one of them, as well as a "Special", during every 3 month period.

I'll probably start adding in the mod cars as well though, so you have been warned. :D

As for last night:-

Race1
As Ross mentions, the Falcon's easily the fastest car on a "power" type of track so that wasn't for me, and I was, if truth be told, expecting a load of Alfas and quite a few Cortinas, so I was expecting my Mustang to be in the minority... That didn't quite turn out to be the case :D. Had a good run with - mostly behind - Ross (who just drove off), Neil & Yves in their Falcons. I had to really rip the arse out of the Stang to stay anywhere near them, but round Riverside, that's always a huge giggle. Managed to hold Yves off for a few laps until he got past and he and Neil went at it. They had a few minor wobbles, and then a couple of bigger ones, allowing me through into (a distant) P2, with the ever present & ever vigilant Bob M in P3, always waiting to swoop by after any mistake, but I managed to just about keep it together and keep P2 to the end. Very good fun.

Race 2
This time, I chose the Shelby Daytona Coupe, along with Phil. It's a pretty overlooked car this, but it's pretty pleasant to drive. It's more of a Muscle car than a GT40, but more of a thoroughbred racer than a Cobra/Corvette. Yves smacked me straight up the backside at the start, but I managed to hang on and set off following the GT40's & Cobras ahead. All I could really do is to keep them honest from P5, but the race became much more interesting after Nils & I had a touch, and that allowed a few others through, Bob & Yves in their Vettes & Neil in his TVR. I managed to pull those places back, with Nils in his '40 re-taking the place he lost during the touch, but I was never going to catch those monstrous 40's or Cobras, so pleased to be "best of the rest".

Race 3
Right here's an admission for you - I think that I have only ever driven my final choice - the 911RSR - in one online race, and only 2 or 3 times in practice offline. And those times left me with nothing but a savage and toxic hatred in my black, black heart for all things 911. But - those drives were all quite a while ago, so I thought with greater experience now, I should give it another crack. I'm glad I did, because with my better understanding of set ups, and better understanding of how the various cars drive - and crucially a good experience in the 1972 911S - I thoroughly enjoyed the little Stuttgartian. As with the previous races, there were faster cars on track that, if the driver on the ball, I was never going to catch. The Panteras were different gravy, was never going to be quicker than them, especially with Bob & Phil at the helm, and Nils was going to be flying in his 906. Additionally, the long old straight allowed the Beemers to really exercise those Bavarian biceps, so the Beemers & the other 911s were my benchmark. Jay's RDHGP experience in the 911 really showed as he drove the wheels off it, right up in the mix, and Ross was wringing the CSL's neck too. Jay had a bit of an off allowing me past and up to 5th with a few laps to go, but all I could see in my mirror was him and Nige in his Beemer reeling me in. Luckily for me, unluckily for them, they ran out of laps and I just edged over the line in P5. Special shout out to B. Miley esq for his stratospherically quick Fastest Lap time - 3 whole sec quicker than the nearest challenger. Top bombing, Bob.

So, as I say, we'll have another one of these soonish - probably middle of Feb or so, maybe Thursday 24th Feb before the RDHGP Saturday Finale, so it's a nice, low pressure warmup before that long old Spa season ending enduro. I'll keep you posted, but I expect it'll be around then.

P.S.- can i add Riverside NS to my track wishlist for the Mustang Boss series?!

I would expect that Riverside Can-Am is the more likely layout with the Boss, mate.

rive_canam_YUp.jpg

That uphill right-hander after the Esses becomes a hairpin, and you go off on another set of heavily contoured straights and difficult braking zones. It's the best layout IMO, but it adds nearly 40-45 sec to the lap times we were getting on the Nascar circuit, so last night we would have had to have cut the races down to something like a 6 lapper to keep it within the time window. If you get a chance, drive both and let me know. I reckon Can-Am's the daddy.

I can not think of a better way to close out 2010 than with this “car of choice” format at this historic American track. It also gave me a chance to drive the DeTomaso Pantera, which I remember going to auto shows in the 70s just to see!

Race 1, I had a good start from mid-pack and had some good racing the first several laps with Jack. Later, it was all I could do to hang on against Nigel in the Cortina. I could pull out a sizable gap on the straight, only to see in disappear as Nigel came charging back on the twisty bits.

Race 2. I was feeling fairly confident as I loaded the Daytona, but I struggled with Q. The start went ok, but shortly after, I lost control and crashed into the pit wall trying to avoid an incident, then, several laps later I spun and rolled in the “esses”. Stuart was the only other driver in a Daytona, so from my perspective, his 5th place finish was very impressive!

Race 3. The upside of my struggle with the damaged Daytona was that it seemed to make driving the Pantera easier than I had remembered from testing. I knew it was a quick car so doing well in qualifying was about not making any mistakes and being patient enough to let the car do the rest. I had a good start again and settled into 4th with Stuart right behind in the 911.
- During the first few laps, I took a lot of heat from the 911, however, things settled down a bit after that and I was able to focus on Ross in the BMW who was turning out some very quick laps! Despite being in a good position several times , I was never able to complete the overtake on his BMW. Stuart was now caught up in a battle with Nils and Nigel, so I was more than happy to finish 3rd! Bob, who eased up at mid race to spot us the top 4 positions, was on a different planet, well done!

Thanks very much Stuart and RD and everyone who turned out to enjoy this event in the spirit of the season
Kudos to all and have a happy and safe new year…see you in ’11.

Here are a couple of shots for you Stuart... 911... re-loaded

Attachments

• GTL 2010-12-31  The grid R3  B Miley pole.jpg
    GTL 2010-12-31 The grid R3 B Miley pole.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 232
  • GTL 2010-12-31 13-54-00-44.jpg
    GTL 2010-12-31 13-54-00-44.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Stuart and Nils_edited-1.jpg
    Stuart and Nils_edited-1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 242

Latest News