Bringing cars from rFactor into GTR2: how?

In general I find lighter cars are not behaving and feeling as great in Gtr2 as in rf1/Ams.
Maybe I do not know how to make the physics but I have also not tried a lighter mod type that was as great in Gtr2 as in AMS.
Very True Bjarne.

With some of the mods I've made in the past I've had to make them heavier then they actually are in real life because the handling felt off. Increasing the Mass line in the HDC and lowering the CG a little helped. Since then I usually just use the Physics Package from the Lotus Elise and tweak it as needed for any lighter car mod. Yes it handles like a Lotus Elise, LOL, but at least it's race ready.

This is also related to my original question, because I was thinking about whether it would be worth it to learn all this 3DSimEd and physics stuff
Simple answer, Yes.

Start off with something simple with 3DSimEd and work your way up to a complete mod conversion or overhaul.

Find a GTR2 mod you like but needs a little work and start experimenting. 3DSimEd has a 20 day trial so get everything ready and have a game plan before running the program for the first time. That way if after the 20 days you say "this is not for me", that's the end of it, but if you enjoy it and your project is coming along nicely then you buy the program and complete your project.

Last edited:
I could do it in AMS and V8 Factor, but I couldn't get GTR2 to do it... instead, in GTR2, the car just bounced/shook violently and got all light seemingly on both sides of the car after me trying to hit the kerb only with two wheels on one side of the car. I figured I was driving weirdly somehow, or the mod's physics were somewhat incorrect. But maybe it's GTR2's fault?

EDIT: Has anyone else been able to get a Supercars mod up on two wheels in GTR2?
I've not tried that mod, and I don't know if possible with any default cars, or even most popular mods. But there was a gokart mod some years ago (don't think ever completed) whose downfall, for me, was that it was all too easy to get them on two wheels - take any turn too fast and you were on two wheels, and nothing you could do to save it, almost slow motion it would continue until you were upside down beside the track. Odd because other than collisions I've never known a RL gokart to roll from cornering, they just spin and/or skid sideways. But whatever this mod creator did proves it is possible in GTR2.

I've not tried that mod, and I don't know if possible with any default cars, or even most popular mods. But there was a gokart mod some years ago (don't think ever completed) whose downfall, for me, was that it was all too easy to get them on two wheels - take any turn too fast and you were on two wheels, and nothing you could do to save it, almost slow motion it would continue until you were upside down beside the track. Odd because other than collisions I've never known a RL gokart to roll from cornering, they just spin and/or skid sideways. But whatever this mod creator did proves it is possible in GTR2.
To further confirm that you can get logical suspension behaviour when hitting a kerb in GTR2 not unlike rFactor – potentially sending you up on two wheels – I yeeted some Power and Glory cars around Enna Pergusa, and got all sorts of wild two wheel action! :D

So disregard my worries from before about Supercars and all that... it must just be a badly configured car mod, a low quality track, or the combo of the two.

Yep, just need to change the texture name. Unless the individual doing the conversion remapped the damn thing :)
As I suspected, trial and error, lol. Drop it in and see if it works. Thanks.

I have a Vanderbilt Cup mod for the GP37 mod that adds a couple dozen liveries from '20's-'30's. It all works well in rfactor, and I think the mod looks better there, but GTR2 gives me weather and twilight/night racing while rfactor is all clear sunny days (same reason I convert many GTL mods, plus GTL has no real season mode).

To further confirm that you can get logical suspension behaviour when hitting a kerb in GTR2 not unlike rFactor – potentially sending you up on two wheels – I yeeted some Power and Glory cars around Enna Pergusa, and got all sorts of wild two wheel action! :D

So disregard my worries from before about Supercars and all that... it must just be a badly configured car mod, a low quality track, or the combo of the two.
I know very little about creating physics in a sim, but I would think lateral grip of the tires, track grip, and center of gravity of the car would be the major factors. The latter being the easiest to adjust (and one of the more difficult for which to get accurate RL data; I suspect many mods get other data as correct as possible then trial-and-error the CoG to get the performance they want). So to experiment, raise the CoG a few inches (that is a major change) and see how the car reacts.

If it is just the "kick" from hitting a kerb you're after I believe this is in the "springiness" of the tire sidewall (lots of research went into P&G tires; all GTR2/GTL cars I put in P&G get tire transplants, replacing the "Vintage Dunlop" most have); though a very high fast bump setting on a shock can also affect this.

I compared the original skins from the rfactor GP37 and GTR2 conversion and they are the same so that add-on set of skins should work with no mapping issues.
Not as easy as I hoped, from the docs:

" The files include a new .mas file so you can get all the color
changes of the carset. This will not do anything to the original
cars. There is an original file in the folders in case you want
to go back to the original set and delete these."

Do you happen to know how above files were named in F1C (which is ancestor of both rF1 and GTR2)? I am under impression that GTR2 changed from rF1 mostly in graphics, but rF1 evolved further after GTR2 work started. Most notably, rF1 has physics and graphics on separate threads, so physics rate is independent of framerate. Don't quote me on that, those are just my guesses coming from my plugin work (GTR2 plugin model is identical to rF1 plugin model, which suggests code mostly stayed the same).
Off-topic, but don't tell me you're tinkering around with F1C?!? I know you probably don't, but if you do, Christmas came early this year. :)

Off-topic, but don't tell me you're tinkering around with F1C?!? I know you probably don't, but if you do, Christmas came early this year. :)
Sorry, but no. My sole focus is and will stay GTR2. I was simply curious about when exactly rF1 and GTR2 started to diverge.

What does F1C offer that cannot be achieved in GTR2 by porting the content?

F1C is the only sim to date, that you can actually play through multiple F1 seasons-years and have a realistic single player F1 experience with great presentation. Weather changes, mechanichal failures, pit crew, everything is there. Amazing game.

It's what GTR2 is essentially, but for F1. There are great mods out there from 1950 till today, and you can just choose the season you want and start a championship with realistic rules.

The big thing actually lacking in F1C compared to the other gMotor sims, is the lack of on-the-fly adjustment of FOV and seating position. You have to exit the game and amend the cam file, and the seating position is of course not the same for all cars...

F1C is the only sim to date, that you can actually play through multiple F1 seasons-years and have a realistic single player F1 experience with great presentation. Weather changes, mechanichal failures, pit crew, everything is there. Amazing game.

It's what GTR2 is essentially, but for F1. There are great mods out there from 1950 till today, and you can just choose the season you want and start a championship with realistic rules.

The big thing actually lacking in F1C compared to the other gMotor sims, is the lack of on-the-fly adjustment of FOV and seating position. You have to exit the game and amend the cam file, and the seating position is of course not the same for all cars...
Could you be more specific:
What mechanical failures it has that GTR2 doesn't?
What rules it has that GTR2 doesn't?

All that said, most features I have on my dream/todo list are around improving F1 experience in GTR2.

Last edited:
It does not contain any different mechanical failures or weather from GTR2 from what I gather. What it does have, that no other game has, is a special Telemetry app that is bundled with the game, which is amazing that existed at the time.

I've tried my fair share of F1 mods in rf1, GTR2, Race07 and AMS1, but, when it comes to F1, nothing can beat the single player experience of F1C. It's an amazing full package, even with just the base game.

If you have not tried it for whatever reason, I strongly suggest you give it a go. It is clear that it shares many elements with GTR2, but it feels like a different game. The FFB is also very very good compared to the rest of the isiMotor games for open-wheelers; this might be due to the fact that the game only handled F1 cars and was tuned accordingly.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 51 36.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 84 59.6%