Best method for looking left/right

It's a basic thing but whenever i play this i always use the mouse for looking left/right and it always feels clunky when attempting to pull out of junctions etc. I don't wish to spend for the likes of Oculus Rift or Track IR but wonder how other people manage.

Do you map buttons to the wheel for look left/right? or have a seperate button box? would be keen to know how other negotiate using the mouse or working around it.

It's a basic thing but whenever i play this i always use the mouse for looking left/right and it always feels clunky when attempting to pull out of junctions etc. I don't wish to spend for the likes of Oculus Rift or Track IR but wonder how other people manage.

Do you map buttons to the wheel for look left/right? or have a seperate button box? would be keen to know how other negotiate using the mouse or working around it.
I use the paddles or the mouse. The paddles are slow and I agree, the mouse always leaves me with a dodgy camera angle before I get to reset it.

This is one of the main reasons I stopped playing it, it was too annoying. Even setting a button, it takes ages to pan left and right, or using the mouse broke the immersion. I just want an instant look. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious; going to 'watch' this thread. I seem to remember it was easier to look left and right on Euro Truck 1 than on 2.

Playing using Logitech DFGT - mapped the d-pad buttons where side ones are for looking left/right, top centres the image back again and bottom is for the TPP view. Works reasonably well and is quick enough to look left/right and switch back to usual view.

Even setting a button, it takes ages to pan left and right
Sorry to chip in so late. My guess is you assigned keys for "look left/right" (which slowly moves head, and it does take ages) instead of "interior look left/right" (which immediately turns head). Go and give it a try, I assure you it makes hella difference.

My personal bindings are this:
A - interior look up left (slight instant left)
S - center/reset view
D - interior look up right (slight instant right)
Z - interior look left (max instant left)
C - interior look right (max instant right)

Usually, slight views are more than enough to check the mirrors or the traffic. Max views might be helpful with just a few situations.
Don't give up on this sim :thumbsup:

PS: Also you might add -nointro parameter for faster game start. Just a small tip :)

Last edited:
@jimortality Left paddle is always reserved for full beam lights. Always :)

@Omnius Once you're in your 'driver' zone it's better to be able to change the view quickly without moving hands to other controllers and not to take your eyes off the screen and losing your personal connection with the game to do simple and very common thing.
I think it's more about trying to stay in that zone without distractions than a hassle, especially since it's something used very often.

I'm like @Bazooka_Joe... Working the high beams with the left paddle just feels like real life to me. Same goes for using right paddle for the wipers.

I'm using the G27 "d-pad left/right" for the instant quick look left and right at intersections or pulling out into the street, etc, and then "d-pad up" for instant return to cockpit "straight ahead" view. It's just faster with more accuracy than what I can do via trying to grab the mouse and move it accurately enough to not break the immersion, plus my right hand stays there near my shifter while left hand remains on the wheel.

I do, however, really like being able to use the mouse to slightly bump the view a bit to the left (or right) as I'm coming into a traffic circle or watching for a traffic light to change.

But to each his own. Cheers to the developers for allowing the user to customize their particular preferences so much.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.