Back to the sixties! A vintage car/track championship

1631645830984.png

Working on BARC Pembrey located in Wales.

It's my first track project so everything is taking quite some time to figure out. I've already got a better track mesh after setting both inside and outside splines at an equal resolution.

Unfortunately there was no public LIDAR data for Pembrey so I've got a normal DEM that i've grid aligned in QGIS and then has been imported as a heightmap in Blender. This unfortunately will require a bit of tinkering to get a mesh that is the correct height and is smooth enough to align the splines on.

The first is doable thanks to certain buildings that are visible in the height data. The second may require some sculpting to smooth out the surfaces as you can see here it is very stepped. I'm happy for suggestions!

1631646780067.png

Last edited:
View attachment 502990

Working on BARC Pembrey located in Wales.

It's my first track project so everything is taking quite some time to figure out. I've already got a better track mesh after setting both inside and outside splines at an equal resolution.

Unfortunately there was no public LIDAR data for Pembrey so I've got a normal DEM that i've grid aligned in QGIS and then has been imported as a heightmap in Blender. This unfortunately will require a bit of tinkering to get a mesh that is the correct height and is smooth enough to align the splines on.

The first is doable thanks to certain buildings that are visible in the height data. The second may require some sculpting to smooth out the surfaces as you can see here it is very stepped. I'm happy for suggestions!

View attachment 502992
Looks like youre making a new track. I know virtually nothing about this, but a genuine thanks for putting your time/ effort into something we all will benefit from! Rock star!

Clipboard02.jpg

I've successfully mapped the original curves to the DEM files, subsequently created a mesh from them, then a inner curve that I could shrinkwrap an array of planes to thus creating a nice quad mesh(well, expect for some dodgy corners). Now would be a good time to attempt a basic export to Assetto Corsa!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.