Automobilista and Rift VR: How To

Just a heads-up for Rift owners: although native VR is not planned for this incarnation of AMS, it is possible to do it. I tried it and it works fine. However, that requires two extra pieces of software: Vorpex and OpenTrack. A full tutorial can be found here. Unfortunately, it is in Portuguese, but it is quite detailed and I believe it can be followed even if one does not understand the language.

Running AMS using VorpX in "Z-normal" mode is the solution to the shadows and instrument text problems."Z-normal" gives you better performance too. The too-high circuit is easily solved by setting "Depth (near - far)" to the lowest value (0.05 instead of 0.50). I'm using VorpX in "Cinema mode": set the screen as close to you as you can get, slightly curved. I'm not using OpenTrack or 'mouse look' so I can see the edges of the screen when I turn my head, but that doesn't bother me much. In Automobilista: set shadows to full, anisotropic filtering to 16x and (important!) FOV to 100. You need to scale the 'cinema screen' yourself to get a realisticly scaled view.
The menus have 3D Z problems using Z-normal and also while driving you'll see some tiny glitches, but nothing too distracting. AMS in VR: I'd say pretty good!

So must admit I can't get AMS working in TridefVR. Thought it would work like the other gmotor2 .X games but have not been able to make it run.

Another issue for me is that I now can't start my VorpX!
Contacted Ralf @ Vorpex late Wednesday evening and have still not heard back.
That is common from VorpX and for me a negative on VorpX that he got poor customer service.
To Inset Coin's post above I would just add I use immersive mode not Cinerama mode.
Also use Cru to make custom resolutions.
Using 2160 x 2160 and 2700 x 2160 depending on game.
Downside to this is that you can't use DSR when you got custom resolutions but you can create a custom Res. in same resolution as the one you like in DSR.
Also use Opentrack. Set input to SteamVR or Rift depending on your headset type and output to freetrack 2.0 Enhanced. Other out put will likely work too.
Also I need to reverse Roll but that might depend on headset?
First start SteamVR
Then Opentrack
Remember to also click on 'Start button'
Then Ams. Make sure you got right resolution
Also if using Z-buffer do not use MSAA as that degrades the dept-buffer.

Immersive mode is Direct VR. Cost some more fps but is not an issue with AMS.
But I get running in Cinema mode as you can get more fps and it can look nearly like Direct VR.

VorpX still have not respond mid week on my issues of not starting despite now 3 requests . Which is very disappointing for me!
Knowing fully well it is a one man company but service is important for future sales.

Immersive mode is Direct VR. Cost some more fps but is not an issue with AMS.
But I get running in Cinema mode as you can get more fps and it can look nearly like Direct VR.

VorpX still have not respond mid week on my issues of not starting despite now 3 requests . Which is very disappointing for me!
Knowing fully well it is a one man company but service is important for future sales.
I won't be buying their product then.
Difficult to use is one thing. Not bothering to reply to help requests is another.

I'll just play rFactor2 instead I guess. VorpX not required.

Don't get me wrong - I'm going to be all over Automobilista 2 like a rash, however, it would have been awesome to add VR support like Raceroom and AC has to Automobilista 1.
Automobilista 2 and the madness engine: I'm a big fan of Project Cars 2 as an overall package and though I think the physics/wheel problem is exaggerated by some, that's not to say a problem doesn't exist with both.
I think the physics/ffb of Automobilista 1, combined with VR support, mod support, and with Automobilista offering a far superior package overall compared to the likes of AC (which still sells well i bet) could have driven a 2nd wave of sales. I would have paid an extra (like DLC) for VR support.

Want to try Automobilista and vorpx myself - shame Reiza couldn't have reached out to Vorpx to help implement it if they didn't want to do it themselves - could've worked out for both sides.

Roll on Automobilista 2 - just gutted that Patrick's track pack won't be part of it anymore.

Last edited:
VorpX has now implemented more options in shader authoring so should now be a real option to get instruments text and also fix the shadow issues some have in Geometric 3D.
It has also seen some improvements in performance in some dx9 games.
Sure AMS 2 will be an upgrade but the lack of modding I think will keep AMS1 running for a long time. Just like GTR 2, GTL and Race 07 still have a solid user group.

So is this process an easy one to undertake or not? I am just joining this thread now, it would be awesome to get AMS working in VR. AMS2 has been a massive let down and frankly is a bit of a mess right now. I know its EA but i dont see there being much progress in the near future with the AI, and the handling on each of the cars leaves me feeling uninvolved, its a very strange thing to explain.

Quite the opposite for me with regards to AMS 2.
Haven't used VorpX since the Beta got out.
To have a test run try something free first!
Get reshader
https://github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D
Get the shaders
install Superdepth3D.fx in the reshader shader folder
Also get the VR Companion App further down the page.
This is theater mode and takes some fiddling to get the 3D right.
Also the 3D is Z-buffer based but it is made very well and gets much higher frame rates than VorpX.

VorpX is easy to use and it is only you that can decide if $40 is an ok price?

Ive downloaded Reshade now, but when i go to run it i select AMS and it says that it cant because of the d3d9.dll file. Ive also downloaded the shaders from that folder, but dont know where to put them, and have also lke you said downloaded the VR companion. What do i do next?

Last edited:
ve downloaded Reshade now, but when i go to run it i select AMS and it says that it cant because of the d3d9.dll file. Ive also downloaded the shaders from that folder, but dont know where tothem, and have also lke you said downloaded the VR companion. What do i do next?

Run config without the d3d9.dll from reshade and select resolution. Then copy over the reshade d3d9.dll. Or just rename while you do the config if it is already there .
when you run Reshade select one or more shaders that will create a shader folder where you put the SuperDepth3D.fx
Run the VR Companion and then start AMS.
You then have to setup the shader for best 3D.
I do not have any settings with the newer versions of Reshade.

Yes it is theater but it will be 3D.

If you got Virtual Desktop you can do even better as the screen can curve and you can pull it is close for a close to VR experience.
VorpX woks in VR only negative with the old gmotor games in 3D are the motec text are only visible in the eye you set as dominating.
And the $40 ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back