Assigning controls to levers for VR use - advice requested

I want to make brake bias / anti roll-bar levers so that I can use them for the older cars like the wonderful Ferrari 312T4. While a lever is great in theory for brake bias or anti-rollbar adjustment, it may be difficult in practice to apply due to the interaction with the game.

I can see it being possible to implement in three ways

1) geared to a rotary encoder so that forward movement of the lever turns the encoder one way, and pulling it turns in the reverse direction. Easy to implement physically but with a potentially big drawback, namely the last position you leave the lever in becomes the default position next time you restart the game. As an example, leaving the lever in the centre position will mean when you start the game, if the current bias setting is 56 / 44, that is what the centre poition of the lever is then set at.

2) geared to a multiple position rotary switch. This would mean that each switch would be allocated a preset bias value, which means that the game always sets the bias to the selected value on startup. However I am not certain if this is possible in all (or even any) games, plus there is the added complication of granularity; if you only have a 12 position switch you only have 12 possible preset values. Maybe that is not an issue though

3) geared to a rotary potentiomenter (or a linear potentiometer). This would give a theoretical infinite number of positions, and would also automatically set the bias value on startup. The downside is that it would have to either be able to be allocated to an axis (not sure if that is possible) or would require an external software solution to implement.

So I would value any feedback or suggestions based on the above. If anyone knows of how to get around the issues I am all ears. I have looked through SimHub and can't see any mention of the bias or rollbar adjustments, but my feel is that it would be somewhere in there if only I knew where to look

Cheers

Les

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play