AMS Sounds underrated?

I wouldnt say underated .. generaly viewed as close second best .. R3E is more complex and dynamic imho .. just considering that you will probabaly never hear two exact same exhoust blow off is kind of amazing :)

And for a long time AMS didnt have reverb and positional audio ... also you could chose one of ingame cars ... not mod to showcase it :)

Last edited:
In general is RRE sound king till now and some sounds are good in AMS, some are.... . ;)

Lets hope for improvements, cuz AMS is not only my favourite offline racer I guess. :) Online iR with sadly weak sounds so far.
which cars are not good for you? for me it was Marcas till I heard that real ones sounds exactly like that :)

The right question to one who prefers sound and proper AI over graphics, who has uninstalled PC2 cuz of the sound (polished Nfs Shift sounds) and the soso AI, who drives in real a 1980ties boxer engine. :) I can tell you for my ears there are only some decent formulas and thats it.
Tolerable out of the stock content are the Boxer, Mini, Caterham and the Formula Trucks. The worst sounds have the Camaro and Marcas. The rest is in between. Just my opinion ;) and we can be happy there are better and better mods out with proper sound. Thanks. :)

Devs, rise and shine. You are trying to bring us real driving feeling in our homes. Do not forget the sound of a real howling engine. Please take more time for the sounds or catch proper sound designer.

Except lots of distortion on the in-car RaceRoom example.
Could be my sound settings in R3E. But I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I like the sounds in AMS even better because they are more differentiated. At my end, in R3E sounds sometimes appear mashed - not very clear.
Btw: Thank you @racingenthusiast and @ouvert that you used/linked my video here.

Yesterday, I changed my sound settings in R3E again. Now, it sounds not that much distorted as in the F1 V10 comparison video. (I know that these cars are very different cars - but I made the comparison due to the V10 engines.)

About AMS' good and bad sounds:
I don't think that there are any really bad sounds in AMS.
I absolutely die for the Boxer, the Porsche 911 3.0l RSR 1974 (modded content!), the AJR V10, the MCR 2000, the F1 V10 and the Caterhams. These sounds are just gorgeous. I could listen to them forever.
The Mini, the Lancer Evo (not the WRX version) and the SuperTrucks sound really good, as well. And the Camaro: Yeah, it's a bit too quiet I think but if you turn up your speakers it has also got a very decent sound.
Reiza have been doing a great job.
Oh, I forgot about the Ultima GTRs! They also sound very good.
I love the "brutalness" - if that is a word in english - of Reiza's sounds in general. To me, it's the right approach. Most racing games lack this rawness.
Often I use the look back function in AMS to enjoy the Boxer's sound(s) even more because the sound changes when the camera position changes. You should try it! It's addictive! You can hear the engine in its sheerest awesomeness. (Yes, I really do this every time I drive the Boxer.)
Okay ... I stop.

To conclude:
I'm very glad that Sector 3 and Reiza do provide such excellent sounds - compared to other racing games. :) I'm very happy to be able to play both.

I like them both for different reasons .. Sector 3 does amazing job when it comes to technology and how much they are giving space to their sound guy. And result is backing it up.
And Reiza does sounds same way as pretty much every other aspects of their sim .. it is just straightforward .. not too much buzz around it, you cant really define why it is so good, it is just there and it works .. and most importantely it works all together ..

Last edited:
Ams is less detailed, but it's more balanced, and better quality overall than Raceroom, which is more detailed, and dynamic, but very poor editing, lots of distorsions, volume/Eq changes, also it's not balanced, some cars sounds a bit clear, some sound like a youtube video recorded with an old phone. AMS is much better as a pack.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.