Amplifiers for 4 x Daytona TT25-8 Pucks

I have a Next Level Racing Platform v3 with Butt Kicker installed on mount at the back of the unit. My rig works really well at the moment but I wanted to experiment with more tactile outputs.

I have ordered 4 x Daytona TT25-8 Pucks to try to add them tom my rig. I have read a lot of stuff on setups etc but I know nothing about sound really so the amplifier(s) I will need to run the pucks are a complete mystery to me. I was really never into home audio systems.

There are all sorts of mini amplifiers available cheap (even down here in New Zealand) that come from China and that run off 12v or 14.4v supplies that are mainly sold for car stereos. These come with up to 4 speaker outputs. Would these amplifiers drive the pucks? or would it be better to pick up an old 240v amplifier with right and left speaker outputs and use that somehow? Or should I just bite the bullet and import a Daytona amp and if so which one.

Also can I use an Asus Xonar U7 USB sound card as the sound source for the pucks?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

According to Parts Express, these pucks handle ~ 15W rms and have an impedance of 8 ohms. Your choice of amp will depend on how you wire them. The network of 4 speakers could present anywhere from 2 to 32 ohms to your amplifier, but almost any amp you are going to consider will want to see 8 or 4 or maybe 2 ohms.

To get the most out of your pucks, you want to be sure your amp can supply a total of at least 60W rms and 120W max to whatever impedance your pucks present. Look for a total harmonic distortion spec of < 1% for the 60W power level.

You can use output(s) from the sound card as a signal source for any amplifier. The Xonar U7 appears to be a 7.1 sound card. What channels do you want to send to the pucks? Separate/combined channels to each puck, or just the LFE? A lot will depend on that, too.

Upvote 0
One choice comes to mind, bit restricting in power for Buttkickers but is a good compact option for 8ohm Pucks you have and other popular 4ohm transducers like the ADX Maximus, Reckhorn, or Clark TST units.

THIS

INFO

Most tactile are 4ohm and car-based amps will typically use 4ohms as well.
The Dayton Pucks do make things a little trickier but this amp linked will support 4 & 8 ohms with 4 channels in one box solution.

If its any help do be aware of other units that can bring up problems as also finding 2ohm capable amps is not easy .....

Popular 2ohm Tactile Units:
Buttkicker Gamer
Buttkicker Mini Concert
Buttkicker Concert (Large)

8 & 16ohm
Dayton Puck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to Parts Express, these pucks handle ~ 15W rms and have an impedance of 8 ohms. Your choice of amp will depend on how you wire them. The network of 4 speakers could present anywhere from 2 to 32 ohms to your amplifier, but almost any amp you are going to consider will want to see 8 or 4 or maybe 2 ohms.

To get the most out of your pucks, you want to be sure your amp can supply a total of at least 60W rms and 120W max to whatever impedance your pucks present. Look for a total harmonic distortion spec of < 1% for the 60W power level.

You can use output(s) from the sound card as a signal source for any amplifier. The Xonar U7 appears to be a 7.1 sound card. What channels do you want to send to the pucks? Separate/combined channels to each puck, or just the LFE? A lot will depend on that, too.

Thanks for replying. I obviously have a lot to learn.

Upvote 0
One choice comes to mind, bit restricting in power for Buttkickers but is a good compact option for 8ohm Pucks you have and other popular 4ohm transducers like the ADX Maximus, Reckhorn, or Clark TST units.

THIS

INFO

Most tactile are 4ohm and car-based amps will typically use 4ohms as well.
The Dayton Pucks do make things a little trickier but this amp linked will support 4 & 8 ohms with 4 channels in one box solution.

If its any help do be aware of other units that can bring up problems as also finding 2ohm capable amps is not easy .....

Popular 2ohm Tactile Units:
Buttkicker Gamer
Buttkicker Mini Concert
Buttkicker Concert (Large)

8 & 16ohm
Dayton Puck

Thanks for reply. More to learn.

Upvote 0
@Tony Bew
Not sure how long this will be available but the amp I recommended for under $180 as restocked item at Parts Express. Normally $229, so an excellent saving....

Thanks for that. I have bought a couple of old fashioned mains amps here locally in the deep south of New Zealand. Cost me NZ$50 each brand new and they seem to do the job with a new NZ$60 Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card. Just running the basic SimVibe Extensions settings at present. Will start learning how to tune them soon. With the Buttkicker as well I am pretty happy.
Sorry about poor picture quality and I know I now have to tidy my wiring again! You can see one puck forward of the wheel, another is on the gear change mount and 2 down on the pedal plate. Didn't bother with one on the seat as the buttkicker handles that.
I want to thank you and all contributors at RaceDepartment for all the valuable informative posts. :)

myrig1.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%