AI 8-9 secs slower in race

adamb

Premium
I have just made a clean reinstall with Anniversery patch + SHO AI + SHO phyics, then Get Real mod.

I have set difficulty lower than usual as suggested for this mod. My qualifying time was mid-pack in the GT class. However, I could easily overtake the whole field during lap 1. The AI drives a pace 8-9 secs slower than qualifying.

I know this is usual for SimBin content but is there a specific setting for this mod to fix this?

Across the board? Just bump the AI level?

If at certain tracks you can adjust the .aiw file to speed them up. If specific cars you need to adjust the talent files.

Any mod that customizes Location AIW files will undo what SHO AI does. Get Real Physics has its own AIWs so won't work with SHO AI (and vice versa).

If you go with SHO AI then here's some more info...

I would recommend simply holding your place for lap 1. There doesn't seem to be a real fix for lap 1 jankiness, especially the first few turns.

SHO AI has a portion of the README dedicated to explaining how to race the AI to get a good experience. Basically, treat them like humans, don't do things to them you wouldn't do in real life, ease off in L1/T1, etc.

If you can pass the whole field even within 10 minutes using SHO AI then something is wrong with how SHO AI is installed or you hit the unlucky tracks where I mis-copy&pasted some AIW RaceRatio values that makes the AI really slow (I'm fixing this in the next version).

Details here:

Last edited:
I'm unfamiliar with the SHO AI, having read Shovas comment above not sure if this will fix your problem. However.....

For all my tracks I spend time adjusting the AIW file data

I have my 'default' settings which I paste into the AIW, then over a few races tweak by extremely small increments until I get the right competitive AI times. For me personally I like to fight to get on the first two or three rows in Quali, and have a grid of 50 cars covered by perhaps 2.5 seconds from P1 to P50.

Then have AI race pace and aggression make the front end battle realistic.

These are the values I use as my pasted in defaults.

as follows:

WorstTime=(0.90000)
MidTime=(0.95000)
BestTime=(1.05000)
WorstAdjust=(0.99000)
MidAdjust=(1.0000)
BestAdjust=(1.1000)
QualRatio=(1.395) // Used to adjust AI speed in qual compared to base values
RaceRatio=(1.41) // Used to adjust AI speed in race compared to base values
CheatDelta=(0.0000,0.0000,0.0000)
AIRange=(0.05000)

I find them to be a good starting point.

The next step is to adjust TALENT file values, and if necessary, the drag value of any specific cars which are far too slow or far too quick.

If none of that works, it might be a matter of correcting the FAST LINE waypoints in AIW Editor.

there have been occasions on some of my track builds where the AI have been lapping extremely slowly, a good 8-10 seconds a lap slower. The only solution was to go back into BTB, delete the AIW entirely, and regenerate a whole new AIW file.

All that said, I defer to Shovas' comment on SHO AI.

An update to the above. A track I've recently built and am finessing, i started off with my default values as follows:

WorstTime=(0.90000)
MidTime=(0.95000)
BestTime=(1.05000)
WorstAdjust=(0.99000)
MidAdjust=(1.0000)
BestAdjust=(1.1000)
QualRatio=(1.395) // Used to adjust AI speed in qual compared to base values
RaceRatio=(1.41) // Used to adjust AI speed in race compared to base values
AIRange=(0.05000)

That's my starting point. But having done about six or seven test races I've finally tweaked them to this:
WorstTime=(0.975000)
MidTime=(0.998000)
BestTime=(1.015000)
WorstAdjust=(.995)
MidAdjust=(1)
BestAdjust=(1.1)
QualRatio=(1.182) // Used to adjust AI speed in qual compared to base values
RaceRatio=(1.185) // Used to adjust AI speed in race compared to base values
AIRange=(.068)

So now it's a fight for the front row and there's only about 2 seconds between pole and 50th on the grid, and racing is close. Each adjustment is made in very small increments between test races until I get AI to where I'm happy with them.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Forum trophies