AC - I don't understand the hype!

My driving improves a LOT after a few beers. ;)

You got some good advice above, I look forward to hearing how things go w/ your AC experience.

RE: Assetto specifically, if you jump in the career mode @ full sim settings in the crappy little career beginner cars, they will feel sloppy & floaty, because they are, but you didn't mention specific cars & tracks?

If you tried some of the better / race cars in the game in full sim mode, I'd ask if you manually turned off traction control & ABS? Many real race cars (even MotoGP bikes) use traction control and anti-lock brakes, so I don't turn those off manually, but sometimes adjust them as someone noted above. Some games / cars tone down TC & ABS automatically based on Rookie, Semi, Pro, etc.

I play several different games every few months - chasing something that caught my interest like BTTC recently & DTM, TA Classics, TA & TA2's in both AC & RF2 (some free / some paid), then I'll fire up WRCG, Dirt Rally 2, Dirt 4, MotoGP & MX SX varieties, then Midgets & Late Models or go retro in GTR2, Race 07, RF1.

My point is - I never forget how to ride a bike, I often forget how to drive different cars in each game!

When I get a new game, I look at the UI settings, adjust wheel rotation & run rookie or arcade mode w/ assist settings, easy AI, the full racing line and go to my fav track - Laguna - where I know the lap times. If a game does not have Laguna - I go to the small / shorter tracks - as someone mentioned above - to get the hang of things again on familiar layouts & then I start reducing assists, upping difficulty, remove the race line or reduce it to corners only & eventually, none, change FFB, etc.

When I re-open games, I just run with settings from the last time I played, but if I'm really rusty, I'll take screenshots of my current settings, bounce back to rookie or arcade & start grinding off the rust by lapping a few fav tracks until I am back to previous settings / full sim / pro, etc.

It really is a cocktail mix of wheel & game settings to get the feel you are after - realizing it will never be fully realistic, even in a motion rig & VR.

You have high-end wheel / pedals, I "ASSUME" you have a high-end CPU & video card...

Graphic settings are a huge part of "realism" for me too, but a better word is "immersion". If you aren't running 60 FPS or better it will have a HUGE effect on your cars behavior, AI & lap times.

PS: Is this your first ever PC wheel? Are you running the newest drivers / software / firmware?
Are you running a fast PC because you mentioned Gran Turismo 7 which is Playstation.
~ I might have missed your PC specs above, or you didn't list them?

Here's some links to things mentioned above. Check youtube for more on each of these!

MOD MANGER:
ACM or CM - Assetto Content Manager (LITE version is free, PAID is worth it)
assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html

VISUALS:
CSP is Custom Shaders Patch - installed via ACM

CARS:
virtual-racing-cars.com
unitedracingdesign.sellfy.store

Last edited:
No, it's not joke. I find Gran Turismo 7 much easier for instance. ..............but comparing with driving IRL.
So two things: GT7 is easier, but all Arcade games are ;)

Now on a serious note: you spoke of the cars you drive with 200+ over the autobahn and they handle easy.
Autobahn's don't have much real corners: how can you compare?
And most important: you can NOT compare a circuit build car with (even an fast) road car.
Whenever I wanted to be a bit brave, the rear end was stepping out. That is normal, it's done to make the front steer more.
Even Ferrari's and such are made "so stupid people with to much money can drive them".

I drove some serious racing cars (GT3, older F3000) around the track, never at competition speed, but I did notice the totally different balance and contact with the road.

But I have to admit: some days it is just not going well, I keep wondering why I can't seem to keep the rear end to follow (in the game that is) but when you really dive into it, it just works and I can't seem to understand why I was struggling so much before.

Do make sure all steering stuff is set properly!

Competing AI cars can still drive faster than me through the curves though which is incredibly annoying.

Plus that.
You DO know that when you were actually driving in a race car on a track, competing.......you probably wouldn't be fastest right away? ;)
Haha, it's the same in sim: the more you do it, the better you get.
And stepping in and not being fast enough, having to learn the car: that is very realistic in my view.

My driving improves a LOT after a few beers. ;)

You got some good advice above, I look forward to hearing how things go w/ your AC experience.

RE: Assetto specifically, if you jump in the career mode @ full sim settings in the crappy little career beginner cars, they will feel sloppy & floaty, because they are, but you didn't mention specific cars & tracks?

You have high-end wheel / pedals, I "ASSUME" you have a high-end CPU & video card...

Graphic settings are a huge part of "realism" for me too, but a better word is "immersion". If you aren't running 60 FPS or better it will have a HUGE effect on your cars behavior, AI & lap times.
Thanks, this is super-helpful. On the FPS point, I just had a look and it says "Previous session 20.9 frames per second". That's not great then I suppose. There is a setting called "Limit framerate" which is currently not ticked. When I do tick it I can set 60FPS. I guess I should do that.

As for cars, I've come to realise that I should probably stop driving the GTs and the more 'normal' cars.
Having tried out quite a few now, I really like the following:
  • Ferrari SF70H
  • Formula Hybrid
  • P4/5 Competizione
  • Porsche 919 Hybrid 2016

As for tracks, the following our my favourites:
  • Monza 1966 (my absolute favourite!)
  • Highlands Long
  • Silverstone 1967
  • Goria-Thun

I must admit that I do feel it is a lot more fun now, so while still not perfect I do see lots of improvements because of the help I'm getting here. Thank you all.

Last edited:
PS: Is this your first ever PC wheel? Are you running the newest drivers / software / firmware?
Are you running a fast PC because you mentioned Gran Turismo 7 which is Playstation.
~ I might have missed your PC specs above, or you didn't list them?
Yes, first wheel I ever bought. I tried GT7 with a wheel at a friend's place.

I'm using a standard PC:
  • 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P 2.10 GHz
  • Intel® UHD Graphics for 12th Gen Intel® Processors
  • 32,0 GB installed RAM

Yes, first wheel I ever bought. I tried GT7 with a wheel at a friend's place.

I'm using a standard PC:
  • 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P 2.10 GHz
  • Intel® UHD Graphics for 12th Gen Intel® Processors
  • 32,0 GB installed RAM
Unfortunately I think you will struggle with this PC, while AC is quite old, it really does need a discrete video card to run at reasonable frame rates. You need to be at 60fps really to get the best feel from the cars. Is this a laptop or a desktop I am assuming a laptop from the CPU?

You could try lowering the graphics setting as low as possible to see if it improves your "feel".

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.