About to start designing my first sim rig. Few questions to get started.

Hello everybody!

I've been reading around here for a while, trying to learn as much as I could about designing a rig, as well as getting some inspiration and ideas and it's been a really interesting read. There are really talented individuals in here!
So I feel like I'm ready to start throwing virtual 40x40's around an empty space to start forming a first version of what I want to build.

My questions are:
1. I have seen a few guides already, but what would be the proper first steps of designing a rig considering I've a G27 kit (I will reverse mount the pedals) and I intend to initially have a single screen setup, but will go three screens later on?

2. Solidworks? Fusion 360? Inventor? something else? Currently, out of all CAD softwares, I'm most proficient with Solidworks, but I've seen guides using some software(s) specifically designed for profile assemblies. Would that be the best and most efficient way to work on this?

3. Right now I'm not sure which seat I will get, but most likely I will get one from a salvage auto parts dealer, in that case, I'm curious which one I should be choosing and how it attaches to the aluminum profile rig.
I've seen that people get Sparco seats for their rigs but it might not be the cost effective option for me considering I'd like to keep the costs..... in control :D.

I'm sure I'll have many other questions as I work on this project, but for now I think it'll work.

I'll appreciate your effort in sharing your knowledge and experience.

Thank you!

Yes thats the button alright, I basicly did a angled piece like showing in your picture and only made that like 10 cm or so. Then added a new piece which continues on that angled piece and made that the lenght I wanted. Then deleted the first section and slided the one with the desired length into place. Should be a setting somewhere to adjust snapping or moving range from increments of 5mm to 1 mm instead as well. Cant recall where that is exactly though, cant check right now.
Alright that worked, thanks @Sincx !
Too bad MayCAD doesn't support placing gussets like that though.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea