Skins 2K or 4K skins?

I'm not sure which skins to use for Mods. I'm running a laptop with Intel Core i7-6700 HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz and 16gig of RAM. The graphics card is a GeForce GTX 960m. So, with these specs should I use 2k or 4k skins with downloaded mods. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure which skins to use for Mods. I'm running a laptop with Intel Core i7-6700 HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz and 16gig of RAM. The graphics card is a GeForce GTX 960m. So, with these specs should I use 2k or 4k skins with downloaded mods. Thanks in advance.
I use a PC with similar specs. My advice would be to mix 2k and 4k skins: If there's a skin you know you will definitely use for racing or that's very stylish/iconic (f.e. the pink 911 RSR which won this year's Le Mans) use the 4k variant. If the skin is only used to get more realistic looking AI opponents use the 2k variant. I use this method for all car classes where this a lot of mod skins (especially GT3) and never run into performance problems.

The key for skin resolution is your graphics card's memory, rest of the specs are relatively unimportant. 4k skins take up 4x as much memory as 2k skins (typically 20MB vs. 5MB) so multiply by 20 cars and you're using up a good chunk of memory which can be a problem.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.