2021 Indycars at Indianapolis: AI oval racing

I am enjoying the IR-18 and Indy Brickyard layout, using the Indianapolis 500 config and running at 90% for now. Very intense.
Fantastic! Glad to hear it :)

Rookie question: What would enabling the "Stock Car Rules plugin" do for me? And would I again turn it off for running standard road races?
The Stock Car Rules plugin enables several oval racing specific rules: full course yellows come out for just about any spin on track, rules about pits opening and closing under yellow, cars being "waved around" onto the lead lap, and (I think) double file restarts. You could technically run a road race using these rules, but I wouldn't advise it, personally.

Note that to have rF2 actually do what the Stock Car Rules plugin is supposed to do, you have to follow the steps Ole outlined in this thread to fix the plugin (which, in its default form that ships with rF2, is broken... typical rF2 nonsense :roflmao:).

Note that to have rF2 actually do what the Stock Car Rules plugin is supposed to do, you have to follow the steps Ole outlined in this thread to fix the plugin (which, in its default form that ships with rF2, is broken... typical rF2 nonsense :roflmao:).

We did the "Indy 50(laps)" on Monday in the rF2 club. We used the oval, not brickyard. And we had a different major issue. The pace car/safety car was spawned behind the wall, with no ghosting allowed. So the darn car was stuck there. So even with an admin "clearyellow", it didn't restart due to the car being stuck behind a wall and couldn't re-enter the pit (as it never left).
Quite amazing that they manage to ship out official content with such issues.

So, I guess. Stick with the brickyard version of the Indy-track!!:O_o:

Isn't Brickyard the layout you should be using for Dallara ? or do they use both ?

ie: Do stockcars have same problem on the oval ?

Make sure for Brickyard " Indy 500" configuration is selected

Dallara v1.65 is out

dal v1.65.jpg

Here are my tips for getting AI to work decent at ovals (still work in progress):

First off: back up your files :)

For safetycars/full course cautions:
* Install the stockcar rules plugin as described in https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to-fix-rf2-stock-car-rules.219153/
* When doing this take good notice of what is mentioned in post #17 in the topic, otherwise in my case the SC does not work
* In your player.json file change the setting of the damage removal to 2 seconds. This will ensure that after a crash the debris is removed in 2 seconds, greatly reducing the chances the AI will crash into the debris even when there is a yellow

For pitstops:
* Only use timed races, not laps. Reason for this is that if you use laps the ai will make their first stop in normal fashion, but after that stop randomly way earlier then the pit window would suggest (as in stopping in lap 30, then 36 then 40 etc.). This won't be an issue when you use timed races, the ai will always pit for a full tank.

For AI racing feeling
* In the player file i will set the 'ai logic override' to 1. To be honest if you set this to 2 and you watch the ai race then 2 would be the setting to use at ovals, because then you see 3 wide and many overtakes. However when racing the AI with this set at 2 it is undriveable for me. The AI will move all directions when you are close and i find it impossible to drive more then 5 laps without crashing. When set to 1 it works fine for me.
* in the player file i have the ai limiter set at 99%. This will ensure the ai will spread out over time, if you set this at 4% (i think the standard setting in rfactor) then even after an hour of racing all cars will remain bunched up
* i have ai aggression at 29%, but havent really tested this at the moment

House rules (for your own liking if to be used or not)
* The AI isnt smart on the strategy part. So for example if you have a regular pit window of 50 laps and there is a caution after 25 or 30 laps in a long distance race (say a 500 miler) you normally would want to pit for fuel. Often the ai does not. I have the house rule i only pit when others pit as well.
* When you use timed races the AI will always pit for a full tank. Even when there is only 6 laps to go. So if you decide to go for a splash and dash with 6 laps to go and only fuel for 6 laps you will gain an advantage. So i don't do that, i only pit for a full tank

For the CART 98 mod driveability:
* The basic setup for the car is undriveable you will spin due to oversteer every corner. So change:
* The front wing to 1
* Make a big change in the setup to the weight distribution and the oversteer effect will go away. I put it fully to the max (i think it is to the front, but set it to one of the max and you will notice it right away in the first corner)
* Change the AI Fuel Multiplier (at least for indy). With default setting and the multiplier at the base setting of 0.99 i get roughly 33 laps with a full tank and the AI does between 39 and 41 (depending on their car). You have to test for yourself but i have increased the multiplier to somewhere between 1.10 and 1.20 to have them run the same nr of laps on a full tank
* Unfortunately the mod builder did not do anyting with the oval tyres, meaning that whatever you will do you front tyres will be gone long before you have to pit for fuel (and worse, the ai does not have that issue). You can work around this in 2 ways, first of all you could just turn off the tyre wear at all. Or alternatively you increase the fuel consumption in the main menu (x2 or x4) meaning the fuel will be gone before the tyres are gone (just more stops).

Last edited:
I have two observations, maybe I'm not alone with these.
1. the default setup for the IR-18 is super loose, especially after 3-4 laps. Without increasing the drag (rear wing) I made it more neutral by lowering the rear ride height but much more on the right side
2. the IR-18 AI is slow at Indianapolis, she understeers in every corner. I think the AIW FASTPATH was made with the DW12 because that car on the other hand is fast.

+: racing here is super intense with the Indycar, very enjoyable, you just need a proper AIW. I suggest what roninho said, setting the "ai logic override" to 1 to disable the AIW blockpath because when the AI switches from blockpath to fastpath that's when they kill people and at these speeds you have no chance.

Last edited:
Hi Bela, what i did in the setup is change the weight balance and lowered the front wing.
In the standard setup move the weight balance to the max, i think its just room for 2 or 3 clicks that you can move it to the front, do that. Then do 1 click less front wing.
Those couple of clicks made the balance very stable, I did not need to work on the rideheight and rear wing for this.

Hi Bela, what i did in the setup is change the weight balance and lowered the front wing.
In the standard setup move the weight balance to the max, i think its just room for 2 or 3 clicks that you can move it to the front, do that. Then do 1 click less front wing.
Those couple of clicks made the balance very stable, I did not need to work on the rideheight and rear wing for this.
Thanks, I will try this!

I'm not sure how everyone is getting any good AI racing with the Dallara IR18 at ANY version of the Indy oval. The AI I'm seeing WERE pushing like dump trucks in T4, causing them to slow down to between 190-200 and they're turning the wheel all the way to the left. Now with this update they are loose loose loose. I've worked with the AI setups to try to fix both these issues but to no avail. The DW14's do NOT have these issues. I have simply given up trying to get the AI in T4 fixed. Does ANYONE have any of these issues? If so, any help in this area would be extremely appreciated.

I'm not sure how everyone is getting any good AI racing with the Dallara IR18 at ANY version of the Indy oval. The AI I'm seeing WERE pushing like dump trucks in T4, causing them to slow down to between 190-200 and they're turning the wheel all the way to the left. Now with this update they are loose loose loose. I've worked with the AI setups to try to fix both these issues but to no avail. The DW14's do NOT have these issues. I have simply given up trying to get the AI in T4 fixed. Does ANYONE have any of these issues? If so, any help in this area would be extremely appreciated.
If you look above I said the IR-18 is slow at Indianapolis because the fastpath was made with the DW12 which in rF2 can go almost flatout in every corner. In fact probably every other car in rF2 other than the DW12 is slow at Indianapolis because of this (maybe other high downforce formula/LMP cars are OK, I haven't tried).
The track needs a new proper fastpath.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea