Your favorite car of the moment...

Marco Bijl

Axe Travels
As the title says, A lot has changed in the models, and the handling with all the updates from the last months. Almost all ISI cars have been updated with several new features, which changed handling a lot.

I am curious to see what your favorite is at this moment, and why.

Skippy with Regional tyres around Loch Drummond.

I've not played much recently and have become very rusty. I wasn't a fan of the track when it was first released either.

Over the last few days I've been having fun. Initially, just to get around the track, but now I'm playing with steering via the throttle and improving my lines. Loch Drummond is a nice track as well.

There are a few cars I like. But the Vette stands out for me. With the recent update it's amazing to drive.
However, jumping in most cars and trying to find it's limits is amazing with rF2.

For example haven't driven the Megane for a long time and tried it yesterday again on LD and just thought immediately :" I must find a league for those cars." And this happens often every time I try some cars after a while. The Skippy is really also such a car. Just wondering why it isn't that popular for league racing.
Once you know how to drive it is deffo amazing to drive.

As said the Corvette in number one choice.

There are several cars now that I like the most, but first and foremost:

Marussia F1
Formula ISI
Formula 2
Formula Renault (since latest update)
Lola T280 (mod)
Camaro GT3

Nissan GTR is nice also since the latest update it got

I actually like all of them in some way, apart from the C6R :)

I heard a lot of good things about that URD mod indeed. Something to keep an eye on for the future.

The skippy. Somehow that doesn't come as a surprise, but it was not what I expected to hear here first ;).
My heart is torn apart between all the cars to be honest. Each one has something of its own, and for me this game still gives me a smile on my face when driving. With just about any car. I am not fast, but man do i enjoy myself driving it.

I do have a little something extra with the Classic Formula 3 though. Memories to certain superb racing experiences with it on the virtual tracks, make me smile a bit more when driving this one.

My favorite car must be the 370z. It gives me the best feel. I also love the GTR and Vett.

My favorite track must be Sebring... Any GT car will do okay on there and if I need to pick an openwheeler it would be the F2.

The URD endurance mod is really great, looking foward to the finished cockpits and P1 and P2 cars. I wonder how many people will buy it though... It could be great for using for an endurance series.

I wish I could have some time to drive... Just no time on my hands... :p

lola_b12-60_alpha10_zps77a8f5f3.jpg

The URD endurance mod is really great, looking foward to the finished cockpits and P1 and P2 cars. I wonder how many people will buy it though... It could be great for using for an endurance series.

lola_b12-60_alpha10_zps77a8f5f3.jpg

I would love to see the VWEC series made with those cars to be honest. Would be an awesome competition in the GT's. As far as I know there is an second "darche" comming to the pack, should be a class lower in the GT's.

Cool model Stefan there.

It keeps evolving for me.
I love the classic F3 cars and it evokes memories of early reel to reel movies relatives showed me when I was very young.
After the VWEC the GTR feels like an old friend.
I drove the 370Z which is very nice and the C6R which rumbles like an American muscle car should.
An example of ISI ongoing development was when I tested the C6R (to help with research for commentating) it really seemed its (Iron) brakes were too good. i could brake in the same spot as the Nissan GTR which is lighter and has carbon brakes. The C6 R were not always easy to pass in the GTR.
Next thing I see is that ISI have updated the car to lower its peak braking torque and reduce its brakes cooling. Now I cant wait to do battle with the C6R again!

Currently spending a lot of time in the FR 3.5.

The thing that strikes me is that there are many cars to get to know and they only start to reveal themselves after dozens of laps of practice and setup.
Personally I really enjoy the setup work and finding that little item that unlocks some more speed in the lap.
The VWEC League racing made me discover so much about tyre wear and the influence of setup and driving style. I feel that this brought out so much of the depth in the game.

So really its only when I'm truly immersed in a car and these fine aspects that I feel I have really got to know it well.
Today for example I was playing with the in-race adjustments to the FR 3.5 car such as tyre pressures and brake balance to optimise my dry setup for a wet spell. I found 2.5 sec! That makes me feel good that I can say to my team mate "if it gets wet, alter tyre pressures to X and Y front and rear and brake balance to Z before fitting wet tyres.

I guess Ill discover each car when the thrill of League or Club competition motivates me to set up a car and discover its secrets.
Each time I do it its probably 200 laps of testing. So its going to be thousands of laps of learning and fun. That's why I'm here.
I'm not professing to be a guru by any means but step by step I'm learning stuff.

A small group of us are discussing some kind of friendly development series to run withing the RD Club Space so that's going to get me some variety as we work our way through the cars in sprint format and mini endurance format.
Man I love this game.

@David O'Reilly :

I fully agree that it is only after some hundred laps that the cars really reveal their true natures. In rF2 there is so many nuances to the cars and their behaviours.

This is a double edged sword however, as i fear that the new people that we need to fill our ranks in this niche hobby may initially be very confused as no car is really self explanatory. It takes much fiddling and testing to learn them. And to master them... Well that is even more work.

What i would like to see is a setup and driving guide covering the ISI cars. That would be fantastic... It would help make most cars less intimidating to new people and my opinion is that every person i manage to convince to getting into serious sim racing is a small victory, and having a little guide holding your hand initially would be a great help in convincing more people to invest time in trying it.

I have been thinking about starting to write one up actually, but i have to confess that my own setup work could use a guide as well sometimes :)

@David O'Reilly :

I fully agree that it is only after some hundred laps that the cars really reveal their true natures. In rF2 there is so many nuances to the cars and their behaviours.

This is a double edged sword however, as i fear that the new people that we need to fill our ranks in this niche hobby may initially be very confused as no car is really self explanatory. It takes much fiddling and testing to learn them. And to master them... Well that is even more work.

What i would like to see is a setup and driving guide covering the ISI cars. That would be fantastic... It would help make most cars less intimidating to new people and my opinion is that every person i manage to convince to getting into serious sim racing is a small victory, and having a little guide holding your hand initially would be a great help in convincing more people to invest time in trying it.

I have been thinking about starting to write one up actually, but i have to confess that my own setup work could use a guide as well sometimes :)
Good points.
It can seem daunting compared to the simplicity of say a console title with all assists on.
I am pretty new to R Factor with just short of 2 years experience incl RF1.
Under my list of discussion points for the introductory/driver development series is a list of resources. Such as
-Track guide done on Youtube
-Reading list of some existing stuff eg Ramon Van Rijns setup guide for Race 07, Racer Alex's Advanced F1 setup guide.
A guide to RF2 is an interesting challenge in terms of where to start and where to stop. There is so much to know. For example I am unable to skin a car, don't even know why we have mods to race online but play with setup quite a lot and have learnt much from recent VWEC.
I did write an advanced drivers guide to F1 2011 that maybe I could adapt as long as I clearly defined the scope to the stuff I know.
The other thing is that many people these days will watch a tutorial on Youtube for 20 mins but cant read for more than 5 mins.Maybe a multimedia approach is needed.
Written, -Drivers Guide to RF2 (technique, tactics, nuances of certain cars) then
Base developed Setups- for ISI cars to download here on RD
Youtube-other.

Yes for sure its crying out for an intoductory guide to the tricky stuff.

Good points.
It can seem daunting compared to the simplicity of say a console title with all assists on.
I am pretty new to R Factor with just short of 2 years experience incl RF1.
Under my list of discussion points for the introductory/driver development series is a list of resources. Such as
-Track guide done on Youtube
-Reading list of some existing stuff eg Ramon Van Rijns setup guide for Race 07, Racer Alex's Advanced F1 setup guide.
A guide to RF2 is an interesting challenge in terms of where to start and where to stop. There is so much to know. For example I am unable to skin a car, don't even know why we have mods to race online but play with setup quite a lot and have learnt much from recent VWEC.
I did write an advanced drivers guide to F1 2011 that maybe I could adapt as long as I clearly defined the scope to the stuff I know.
The other thing is that many people these days will watch a tutorial on Youtube for 20 mins but cant read for more than 5 mins.Maybe a multimedia approach is needed.
Written, -Drivers Guide to RF2 (technique, tactics, nuances of certain cars) then
Base developed Setups- for ISI cars to download here on RD
Youtube-other.

Yes for sure its crying out for an intoductory guide to the tricky stuff.

The idea of the base setups is brilliant! I actually feel that the default setups are lacking a bit in rF2 as compared to say GSC. This is an excellent way for the community to step in i think. If baseline defaults that work well and safe can be supplied to the new racers, with explanations of what is changed from stock and why, it would both open the eyes of them to setting up the cars and at the same time giving a good foundation to practice with...

For instance, the classic and retro f1 setups of GSC2013, supplied stock with the som is far safer and simpler to race than say classic F1 or modern formulas in rF2. Not necessarily faster, but simpler setups to get to grips with and do laps from the get go.

I actually observed this first hand, when i introduced an old friend recently to sim racing. He has no sim racing background, not even on consoles.

In the classic F1 and stock cars of gsc2013 he was comfortable, not fast, but comfortable, on the stock setups and started learning the tracks.

In rF2 he tried the skippy, classic F2 and C6 and was uncomfortable on the defaults. He kept spinning out, got frustrated and eventually gave up, without looking at the tracks or learning the lines at them.

With better defaults from the community, and explanations of how to achieve the effects he would probably have liked it more.

I gave him one of my sets for the skippy and he then thought it was a blast...

Now, to keep something on topic, i must say i have now swayed from the civic back to the classic F2. Took it for a spin earlier and got reminded how great it really is. Just the right amount of power and very clear feeling of what it is up to. That and the Brabhams are probably the best sim cars driveable right now.

Spark F1. Physics and ffb are so detailed and convicing. Also, there is just so much you can do with these cars as they are so maneuverable. So many alternatives and decisions to make. So challenging but absolutely controllable in almost every situation. So much feel. Amazing.

Regarding pure respect for modeling excellence, also should mention Civic, but the surprise is the Lada. The Lada IMO a defining moment in sim racing because if a shitbox like that can be as immensely fun as it is then that is a testament to amazing physics accuracy and detail beyond anything we have ever seen before.

Also need resoect for the skippy and other 60s formula cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back