Your Fanatec CSL Elite experience ?

I have an older Non-FFB wheel, its a TSW and I can't say enough good things about it. But I would like to try a FFB wheel, and I would also like something durable. I need it for a PC and a desk setup, I've heard mostly good things about Fanatec, especially the CSL Elite.
I've read a lot about them, but never tried one, pretty much will be using it for Assetto Corsa and Automobilista.
As far as my driving ability goes I've raced in leagues and I'm probably slight ahead of mid-pack with what I have now and I can race the AI at 90-95% from the back of the pack and get to the front.
I'm tired of the limited wheel motion, it just takes away from the experience, so thats my main reason for liking the CSL Elite, and the good reviews and price. Plus resale value If I don't care for it.
Hopefully its a pretty cut and dried setup as well . So sell me on getting a FFB wheel !

It looks like I’m your first reply and as my CSL Elite wheel and CSL Elite LC pedals only arrived this morning I’m not going to be the most seasoned Fanatec user you’ll get a reply from.

With that said I can tell you that even after only one day using them the difference between my new set up and my Logitech G920 is quite astonishing.

Set up, calibration and getting my LUT sorted were all very easy. Once that was done and I dropped the FFB gain down from 100% to 75% and reduced the road effects etc all to 0% from the G920 settings I was hugely impressed with the increased information that comes through the wheel. I play in VR so don’t see the wheel but the slightly larger size felt much more normal, the click of the shifters was a much more tactile experience (though they are a little further back than I’m used to) and the ability to pick up on what the car was doing or was about to do was a massive surprise.

I‘ve just got the basic ‘PS4 package’ wheel for PC so not loads of buttons but more than I had on the old wheel and I now have the ability to put other rims on if I want in the future.

When I originally placed my order I expected to find the biggest difference from the new pedals compared to my old ones and whilst that is still essentially true I’m really amazed by how much the fine detail available from my new wheel both adds to the experience but also provides so much more information about the car and road.

So, I’m not able to give you a wealth of experience with either this or any other wheels but if you want an initial impression from someone who has just changed to the one you mention....it’s extremely positive!

It makes me wonder what a direct drive system must be like.....not that I’ll be changing:)

Upvote 0
Appreciate your input, any info I can get is going to help. I was going to look into Direct drive , but its just too expensive. Does the Fanatec wheel feel notchy? Just wondering If it feels like a real wheel.

Upvote 0
I had a CSL Elite before moving to Fanatec DD - also the PS4 model and I loved it. It is not notchy and surprisingly 6 n M of torque feels like enough - especially if you have not tried DD. It fees very detailed and smooth. The only thing that bothered me is that it is noisy when going over rumble strips - really noisy. This is really noticeable as at all other times it is almost silent. That shouldn't put you off getting one though - I loved mine.

Upvote 0
With regards to notchiness, absolutely not. As I’ve only got prior experience with the G920 I didn’t want to over express how smooth it felt to me, especially as many here may use very high end gear and have far different expectations. So it’s interesting to read a direct drive user still look very favourably on it. As @GagarynGaribaldi says it’s very smooth and finely detailed.

I always thought of the G920 as having a very grainy feel, which considering my relative lack of simracing experience bothered me. Too much being lost in the translation.

I’d also agree about the huge difference in force, 6nm is plenty of force coming through the wheel and a massive step for me. I nearly went with the CSW 2.5 but I play on a very Heath Robinson desk setup (it’s bordering on absurd to be honest) so wanted to ensure I could clamp it on and not shake everything apart. All in all though it’s not the power of the wheel but the refinement and detail that has surprised me and I assume it’s this increase in detail that you’re paying for as you go up each level of rig/gear.

Upvote 0
Considering I have none right now anything would be an improvement. I like the setup now except on tight hairpins I literally cannot use the track, because the steering just won't handle the sharp turn.
So more turning ability would be a great improvement. I would also have to try the FFB too just too see what its like. I think I would probably just turn it way down and gradually work my way up If I liked the feel of it.
My biggest worry about the whole system is durability. I've had my wheel apart numerous times to replace springs, circuit boards, pots and other small misc things. But the whole wheel is very simple compared to a FFB wheel.

Upvote 0
Can only comment for the CSL Elite pedals with loadcell, have had them for a few months now and they give you the precision you need. Braking is well balanced and you can set the brake up exactly the way you like in terms of stiffness. Usuable in ACC AC iRacing all good. I do however have to set the brake up different in iRacing etc where no ABS etc is used. Basicly give myself more travel then.

As for the wheel...no idea. Check my signature ...still on the lookout for a upgrade myself.

Upvote 0
i have the csl elite ps4 with p1 rim and loadcell pedals and for a cheaper base and pedals i love it obviously not on DD levels but last two years ive enjoyed the hell out of it...... im at the point im ready to move on up i bought a tr160 ( if it ever shows up im stuck on their excuse train they say every week it will be here within the week.....) to mount a DD base either fanatec or simucube and then heusinkveld pedals most likely ulimates..... if you are unsure about sim racing maybe dont have the money or not sure you will like it or not its a good base but if you really enjoy sim racing and plan on doing it for awhile just save up for a DD and quality pedals.... this will save money in the long run... my only complaint is the loose shaking on the base but you can turn down the settings to remove that and on the pedals my elastomer bushings fell apart and had to buy more after 16 months.

Upvote 0
I had a CSL Elite before moving to Fanatec DD - also the PS4 model and I loved it. It is not notchy and surprisingly 6 n M of torque feels like enough - especially if you have not tried DD. It fees very detailed and smooth. The only thing that bothered me is that it is noisy when going over rumble strips - really noisy. This is really noticeable as at all other times it is almost silent. That shouldn't put you off getting one though - I loved mine.

Is this g27 like noisy or can the noise be tuned down at all?

Cause im considering changing my T-GT with a CSL but ive read elsewhere and saw some vids with the noise and its making me having seconds thoughts about getting one.

The noise is a crucial factor for me as it will bother me a lot.

Upvote 0
Appreciate your input, any info I can get is going to help. I was going to look into Direct drive , but its just too expensive. Does the Fanatec wheel feel notchy? Just wondering If it feels like a real wheel.

I upgraded from a G29 to a ClubSport 2.5 and also had a CSL Elite 1.1 for about a week (Long story, I explain it in a YouTube video if you're interested).
IMO CSL Elite 1.1 is such a huge jump over the G29 that it's not as big of a jump between the CS 2.5 and the CSL so that 95% of casual drivers or new racers would be perfectly content with the CSL.

Compared to your garden variety Logitech or Thrustmaster, it just feels like a completely different product. The box materials, the software, the feel in car and how FFB feels completely different depending on the car and course conditions you're driving, it's really crazy how much I didn't know was missing in details for FFB.

I don't think the ClubSport is worth the price difference over the CSL though. IMO the CSL is the best wheel base under $500 and you don't get better than that in value proposition until you go Direct Drive.
It has 6 Nm of strength but for me that's a bit hard to describe when you just use quantitative explanation. What I'll say is that it feels three times as strong, and like a completely different wheel compared to the G29. You can feel the rumble strips, you can feel changing from pavement to grass/harder pavement. You can feel the grip fighting against you as you push a car closer to the limit.

Kind of wish I went Fanatec instead of G29 to begin with lol. If I did, I would probably have Direct Drive now instead of a CS 2.5. Some people say the jump from G29/TMX to CSL Elite is bigger than the jump from CSL/high quality belt to direct drive.

One last thing, the CSL Elite was upgraded one year ago while the CS 2.5 hasn't been upgraded since 2017. So the gap between CSL Elite is much smaller than it was three years ago. IMO, aside from metal construction and brushless motor, I'm not sure why the CS v2.5 exists anymore since the CSL Elite is like 80% of the strength and 90% of the detail for like 55% of the price. If you can get a CSL Elite bundle with load cell, you'll honestly see a huge difference in your driving experience.

Upvote 0
Sounds like pretty much everyone is pretty happy, except for a few comments on noise. I was thinking DD wheel, but the cost is pretty high for what I can see.
Also heard a few things about Fanatec having quality issues with some wheels, but it seems its mostly the higher end wheels that are affected.

Upvote 0
Ive had a CSL ps4 wheel and load cell pedals for about 7 months and they are the business. Coming from several Logitech Gs it is a world apart- no gear rattles or roughness for a start. It is beautifully made and the materials are first rate. I had an initial problem of the wheel always canting a few degrees off centre, never sitting at 0 but -3 degrees or so and it was a bit off putting. I didn't feel like returning it as I thought it may bed in with a bit of use, but for €700 I would expect better. Having said that, the CSL has 5 settings on the wheel that you can tailor to individual games: ffb, force, springs etc. This is its best selling point I think, as once set up each game can make best use of the wheel's capabilities. The load cells are worth the price as they are on a different level to the Logitechs in feel and response. The off centre thing is still there but different games seem to make it hardly apparent in use, it's really when the wheel is off or first fired up that the OCD annoying sense of the wheel being askew is apparent, in the driving it is fine. If it lasts as long as my trusty old G25 then it was worth every penny.

Upvote 0
Ive had a CSL ps4 wheel and load cell pedals for about 7 months and they are the business. Coming from several Logitech Gs it is a world apart- no gear rattles or roughness for a start. It is beautifully made and the materials are first rate. I had an initial problem of the wheel always canting a few degrees off centre, never sitting at 0 but -3 degrees or so and it was a bit off putting. I didn't feel like returning it as I thought it may bed in with a bit of use, but for €700 I would expect better. Having said that, the CSL has 5 settings on the wheel that you can tailor to individual games: ffb, force, springs etc. This is its best selling point I think, as once set up each game can make best use of the wheel's capabilities. The load cells are worth the price as they are on a different level to the Logitechs in feel and response. The off centre thing is still there but different games seem to make it hardly apparent in use, it's really when the wheel is off or first fired up that the OCD annoying sense of the wheel being askew is apparent, in the driving it is fine. If it lasts as long as my trusty old G25 then it was worth every penny.

mine had the same issue lol one day I did the re centering and its been fine ever since

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea