Your chance to help shape an F1 team website

International F1 fans assemble!!!

The moment I have been dreaming about for the last 10 years has finally happened. The digital media agency I work for have been invited by an F1 team to pitch for a full redesign and rebuild of their current website. I only wish I could say which team at this point, but I am waiting to hear from our client services team whether I can say or not.

If any of you have some spare minutes to answer the questions in the next post it would really help my understanding of how and when you visit your teams sites, what you would like to see, what you dont need to see etc.

EDIT - here is a surveymonkey link if you would prefer to do it online -

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F1Research

Thank you in advance to anyone who completes the questions, and thanks again to Bram for letting me post this here.

1. Which team do you support?

2. Why you favour that team?

3. Do you follow certain drivers and swap team allegiance with the drivers?

4. Do you ever visit your team's website?

5. How often would you say you do?

6. What content are you most interested in?

7. What do you like about the website in particular?

8. What do you think would make it better?

9. Do you visit the website on your phone or use any specific F1 mobile apps when you're at races?

10. If yes, why?

11. Which other websites do you use to read up on F1 news?

12. Are you a fan of your team on Facebook or Twitter?

13. Would you say you're more interested in the Facebook page or the website and why?

Congratulations Paul ^_^ Are you allowed to say what F1 team it is? *edit* nvm lol. I'm gunna guess Sauber though... why? Idk just a guess lol.

1. Mercedes

2. A big fan of Nico, Michael, and Ross.

3. Not sure exactly what you mean by this :| I do follow certain drivers though, mainly through Twitter.

4. Rarely if ever.

5. I've been on Merc's page twice I believe.

6. Nico's Post Race video on Youtube is what I watch, but I've just subscribed to his Youtube channel I don't use their site for that.

7. Don't use it enough to know really.

8. Team information/history, driver information/history, behind the scenes videos of their factory's or garage's would be cool as well. I haven't checked out their "fan" section yet, but that information could be there.

9. Since I live too far away from Montreal/Texas I can't visit any races as of yet :( I use the F1 Timing App for practices/quali/races though.

10. Helps me keep track of where everyone is, how many pit stops they've have, and many other miscellaneous facts about the session.

11. Planet F1, BBC, F1's site, and RD. I use a plug-in on Chrome that displays all recent news called "F1 News".

12. Yes, and yes. It's very easy to keep up with current news or events by following Nico and Merc on Twitter/Facebook.

13. Facebook because everything I want to know about the team is delivered right to me when I'm checking up on my friends or just creeping around.

Just a few added notes:

I suggest in the design of the site to include integration with Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube (see most recent posts, what fans have sent them, most recent videos, etc)

Also make sure the site is smooth and organized. My one problem with Merc's site is information seems to be random all over the place. I like the way F1.com's site is laid out because it's simple looking, but easy to navigate. I know what I'll see every time I open it: schedule at the top or their most recent video, news below that, countdown to next event on the right, and more.

Hope this helps, good luck with this :D

1. Which team do you support? Ferrari

2. Why you favour that team? All of my 3 favourite driver was a Ferrari driver once or he is now and because of the history of the team.

3. Do you follow certain drivers and swap team allegiance with the drivers? Not really sure what you ment here.

4. Do you ever visit your team's website? Yes.

5. How often would you say you do? Not often, only once in a year maybe twice.

6. What content are you most interested in? Interview with the driver or detalis of their new car.

7. What do you like about the website in particular? The design.

8. What do you think would make it better? If there were more news and more recent ones.

9. Do you visit the website on your phone or use any specific F1 mobile apps when you're at races? I have F1 Timing app on my phone but only that.

10. If yes, why? Livetiming is the best stuff during races. :)

11. Which other websites do you use to read up on F1 news? Hungarian F1 news site like F1-live.hu

12. Are you a fan of your team on Facebook or Twitter? On facebook yes but more likely the drivers not the team.

13. Would you say you're more interested in the Facebook page or the website and why? Because of the update. Update a website is difficult but on Facebook you just have to post thing so there you can find more stuff. Also on facebook it's kinda the new coming to me. I mean I don't have to visit a website just open my fb and I see all the new posts.

Force India and Mclaren

Because i like the teams attituide, and their history, also the drivers are british!

i follow all the times, not only the ones in the team i support

Sometime's i visit their site to see what exclsuive story's or videos they have to show.

2-5 times a month

Media and F1 Related news, interviews of the drivers and behind the scenes work

it's extremely easy to navigate, and the information is right there infront of you!

9. Do you visit the website on your phone or use any specific F1 mobile apps when you're at races? no

10. If yes, why?

f1fanatic , planet-f1 , autosport & thef1times

no

13. Would you say you're more interested in the Facebook page or the website and why? website, never been a fan of facebook

Mercedes AMG F1
Because of their driver Michael Schumacher..
Yes
Yes
Every day, especially more times before and after races..
Technical content.
Videos and technical infos..
Lightness or easy access to what i need.
9. Do you visit the website on your phone or use any specific F1 mobile apps when you're at races?
Yes
10. If yes, why?
following sectors and lap times, information on track etc..
Beside official F1 site, Sky Sports, planetf1..
yes, on Twitter
13. Would you say you're more interested in the Facebook page or the website and why?
More likely on the website, maybe because i'm rarely using my Facebook...

McLaren and have a little place reserved for Sauber too.

Always been a fan of McLaren, think they are the most interesting team and always have the best looking car.

Yes, I follow Button, Hamilton and Kobayashi, but do not swap teams in that way. If a McLaren can't win then I keep my fingers crossed for one of my favourite drivers, regardless of which team they are in but, as I said, McLaren comes first.

Yes

Depends, on average...once a week I think.

Interviews and techical things about development and how the car 'works'.

Quite easy to navigate and has a 'modern' look that I like. (McLaren)

Need more videos and 'in-depth' articles

Sadly never been to a race...so no.

10. If yes, why?
-
The official website mostly and other various places but no perticular one.

No, don't use either.

-

Ferrari
I have always been Ferrari fan. I think it begun when Prost and Berger were there.
I was Ferrari fan, so when Schumacher came to F1, I had to hate him, because he took wins away from Alesi and Berger. But when he came to Ferrari, I had to change my mind about him. From that point he is my favorite driver in F1. So now I gross fingers for Ferraris and one Mercedes :)
I have visited it, but very rarely.
2-3 times in a year maybe.
I think I visite their site more often before new season starts to get more information about their car, maybe some pictures.
Can't say anything particular.
As I haven't been there so often, unfortunately I can't be more specific about that question neither.
My phone is so old and it's very uncomfortable to use web with it, so no visits with phone.
10. If yes, why?
-
http://en.espnf1.com/, http://www.formula1.com/default.html, http://www.autosport.com/
Haven't thought about that before, maybe I will be now :)
Website, because I'm not very big Facebook user.

If I had to pick one, it would be Mercedes. But I support Ferrari, Sauber, and Marussia too and I also like most of the other teams :-p
1) Schumacher. My favorite driver since I watched my first F1 race :) Also, I live fairly close to Stuttgart and was born in the same city as Gottlieb Daimler (co-founder of the company). Also, Ross Brawn.
2) Alonso (Schumacher's legitimate successor) + someone has to give chase to RB, don't they? + Stefano Domenicali + Rob Smedley
3) I like the drivers, Peter Sauber and Monisha Kaltenborn. Also, James Key, before he left :( Also, the team's attitude and history.
4) Because I feel sorry for Timo Glock :roflmao:
As noted under 2. I have fairly little loyalty for the teams themselves. And if so, then only because of certain personnel I like (in addition to the ones mentioned above, I also carry some sympathy for James Allison, Sam Michael, Franz Tost and Adrian Newey :) )
I visit Mercedes website every now and then. McLaren's too.
Mercedes once a week or so, McLaren during practice sessions when I'm extremely bored (no television feed) to watch telemetry.
See 5.
See 5. As far as Mercedes is concerned: Nothing specific.
More technical stuff like live timing, telemetry, etc. blablabla. Please no more stupid stories about the drivers' favorite meal, color, or pet. I really do not care :<
As indicated under 2. and 3., I'm also quite interested in some of the teams' personnel. Perhaps some more stuff about them? Maybe an interview with McLaren's right rear mechanic? :D
The last time I attended an F1 race, I neither had a phone nor internet access :D
10. If yes, why?
-
official site, bbc, autosport, auto motor und sport (german), james allen, f1 fanatic, scarbs blog, f1 technical
No, but I do check Fernando Alonso's twitter every now and then
I :mad: Facebook

Ferrari

History mainly and when i first watched F1 race just saw red and fell in love,was to little to know what Ferrari is(specially in Romania)but i stayed true -even made a prancing horse tattoo on my back

I folow max of one other driver from outside team, and i don't swap team

Sometime's i visit their site to see what exclsuive story's or videos they have to show.

2 times a month

Media and F1 Related news, interviews of the drivers and behind the scenes work

it's extremely easy to navigate, and the information is right there infront of you! and colour red

fewer advertising and more content for normal users/not premium and etc
9. Do you visit the website on your phone or use any specific F1 mobile apps when you're at races? no

10. If yes, why?

europosrt, f1.com

no

13. Would you say you're more interested in the Facebook page or the website and why? website, never been a fan of facebook

McLaren and Williams

Always been a Williams fan, great to see independant teams doing well.
McLaren, great drivers, great history.

Always follow the British drivers in particular but still stick to the same teams.

Yes.

Several times weekly.

General news, videos,Grand Prix weekend updates, live telemetry data, podcasts, e-zine.

Williams site in particular is very easy to navigate.

McLarens needs some looking into as it is a bit cumbersome at times and can take a while for pages to load..

Yes I visit the website on my phone and use the mobiloe timing application.#

10. If yes, why?
Being able to keep up to date with news, timings, etc on the move is essential in the modern age.

BBC, Skysports, Formula1.com

Yes
They are both important. I use Facebook daily to keep in touch with friends and family and having my Formula 1 news and stories readily available there is a handy bonus.

1. Ferrari
2. The history, their records and the drivers.
3. I follow the drivers and develop a small sentiment for their new team (like Mercedes or Lotus - you know which drivers I mean ;]) but my no1 team stays the same.
4. Yes
5. Once every few months.
6. Articles written by the drivers or mechanics, photos of the car
7. Uhh... its owner? :D
8. dunno...
9. I've never been to a race... :-/
10. --------------------
11. f1.com, racedepartment.com, f1wm.pl
12. twitter
13. Website, cause I don't have a facebook account (yeah, that's right - you can light the torches now!).

Red Bull and McLaren mainly but i love Williams, Lotus and Sauber to do well.
Mark Webber and the other drivers, McLaren always have the best looking car.
Yep.
Nope.
Once in my lifetime?
On generic F1 stes, general unbiased info and technical knowledge.
N/A (Not Applicable).
N/A
Generics yes, every day.
10. If yes, why?
Latest talk and news.
Espn and F1.com.
Nope. Have only just joined FB and i'm not a Twit!! :p
N/A

Wow guys thanks for the responses so far it really is interesting reading!

Please keep it going, getting some brilliant information here.

Ps Chris it isn't Sauber :)

First of all, congratulations for receiving such offer from this mysterious team. :p

HRT for sure but I also support Williams, Red Bull and Lotus.

I support HRT because I always find interest in underestimated teams.
While I support the other teams because they have a driver in each team which I like.

I follow all drivers.

Nope, I only visit all the teams websites when they reveal their car for the upcoming season.

Sorry, I answered in on the previous question.

Info about the team, achievements, goals, and a progress curve (both for the season and from year to year)

Idk, that you can quickly find info about the team and drivers I guess.

Progress curve and daily updated I guess.

Never given that a thought.

10. If yes, why?
---
Formula1.com and iPhone apps (F1 pulse and F1 2012 News & Info)

I was for a little while but I had to quit since they were tweeting mostly in Spanish.

Website because it would be so much easier to find information about what I want to read about while a Facebook or Twitter page would be used to find quick info (like, DLR had to retire due to gear box problem or our updates seem to work, and of course to share some pics to the fans).

Mclaren

British team, British drivers is great, was DC back when I first arrived at formula one. Inherited from older family.

I follow the team more than the specific driver combo but always root for the Brits no matter where they race. Aside from that I wouldn't say i support another driver but like to see Perez/Kobayashi do well. great prospects and excitement follow them around.

yes

once per month

mostly the shop

tbh i don't really like the current website much. It's very, eerrm, bloggy. Social Media is much better catered for by the team. I can see why the design choices were made but being there doesn't particularly scream McLaren to me.

Not sure how id change it though backend is more my thing :)

maybe more interactivity, more driver related stuff.

maybe add some kind of discussion area for fans. maybe they have that now? haven't renewed my membership for a while.

not at races but i use the official f1.com app for technical data and RD app/twitter for discussion

10. If yes, why?

FIA for the stewards docs, legal stuff and regs. RD for discussion. F1.com/eurosport/skysports/bbc

yes

i wouldnt say more one or the other generally. atm social media wins because the site isnt great,

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back