You can mod but you can't really.

Who sets this goal? because the point of modding is modifying, in fact using patches is exactly the same thing romhacks do (romhacks require you to provide the original rom and they patch the ROM with the changes done by the modder).

I don't see what's so particularly bad about making a mod that modifies base content.
Whether you care or not is not the issue. Kunos does not want you to do it. And if you put something like that on here at RD, Kunos simply has to report it and it will be taken down.

Whether you care or not is not the issue. Kunos does not want you to do it. And if you put something like that on here at RD, Kunos simply has to report it and it will be taken down.

Kunos can say whatever they want, but the hard truth is that we are not distributing any content they made, so generally law is on our side.

We are creating tools that allows people to modify their own content on their local machine.

Kunos can say whatever they want, but the hard truth is that we are not distributing any content they made, so generally law is on our side.

We are creating tools that allows people to modify their own content on their local machine.
You can do what you want in private yes. I am talking about stuff that is uploaded that includes kunos original work. As long as what is posted is 100% original work or has permission than that is fine too. If that means you have to use some local converting tool then yes it is a way to bypass any copyright.

You can do what you want in private yes. I am talking about stuff that is uploaded that includes kunos original work. As long as what is posted is 100% original work or has permission than that is fine too. If that means you have to use some local converting tool then yes it is a way to bypass any copyright.

Yeah I never really meant distributing kunos' work, which is why I suggested the alternative which is patching.

Do you really mean Licensing instead of copy-write? Because AC can't have copywrite on the Mustang but they need to have a licensing agreement with ford to reproduce it in the game. Don't get me wrong when I ask questions like these, I will absolutely follow the rules when it comes to uploading to RD. I now see it as a challenge to create a 100% pure model. But I really don't understand how, lets call it partial modding, hurts Kunos, because in the end you will need to purchase the Game and Car packs in order to Mod and upload the Partial mods. I only see it as a promotion for AC, in fact I never would have bought the game if it weren't for it's Modding capabilities.

Do you really mean Licensing instead of copy-write? Because AC can't have copywrite on the Mustang but they need to have a licensing agreement with ford to reproduce it in the game. Don't get me wrong when I ask questions like these, I will absolutely follow the rules when it comes to uploading to RD. I now see it as a challenge to create a 100% pure model. But I really don't understand how, lets call it partial modding, hurts Kunos, because in the end you will need to purchase the Game and Car packs in order to Mod and upload the Partial mods. I only see it as a promotion for AC, in fact I never would have bought the game if it weren't for it's Modding capabilities.
They have a license to replicate the car but they have their own copyrights on the game and its content. In the end I see your point but that is just not how kunos sees it and that is what matters here.

They have a license to replicate the car but they have their own copyrights on the game and its content. In the end I see your point but that is just not how kunos sees it and that is what matters here.
Kunos is King in the land of the Modders:D

To be fair it's not just Kunos ;)

And there are fairly large communities on FB where users trade almost exclusively in modified Kunos content and models ripped from other games(mostly Forza)- they then have the nerve to claim ownership of it and harass people who modify their rips. It's a whole world of hypocrisy. :laugh: And quality is generally poor compared to the hand-crafted stuff here on RD.

I don't mean to lump you into this group either - you're clearly talented and experienced. Just a bit of context that might explain some of the attitudes you were met with earlier.

To be fair it's not just Kunos ;)

And there are fairly large communities on FB where users trade almost exclusively in modified Kunos content and models ripped from other games(mostly Forza)- they then have the nerve to claim ownership of it and harass people who modify their rips. It's a whole world of hypocrisy. :laugh: And quality is generally poor compared to the hand-crafted stuff here on RD.

I don't mean to lump you into this group either - you're clearly talented and experienced. Just a bit of context that might explain some of the attitudes you were met with earlier.
I think I have an Idea how things are working but I am always eager to learn more so I'm sure I will have more questions. I didn't know about the Facebook crap but I can't say I'm surprised.
I don't hold it against anyone for how this thread started because it forced me into a fast learning curve on the game Modding community.

I noticed some interesting points raised here, which left me a bit confused..
So from my understanding use of Kunos assets for mods uploaded here is a strict no-no?
I mainly ask as I am in the processing of making an AE86. The mesh is 100% made by me, so no drama there
__custom_showroom_1521004275.png __custom_showroom_1520984060.png
that said, I have used various data.inis (suspension, tyres ect...) as well as the sounds from Kunos' AE86. Of course these assets will be properly adapted and edited to suit my mesh. I'd like to upload it here when it's done, so I wanted to clarify if use of these assets in such a way is allowed or not:D

So from my understanding use of Kunos assets for mods uploaded here is a strict no-no?
I mainly ask as I am in the processing of making an AE86. The mesh is 100% made by me, so no drama there
View attachment 240783 View attachment 240784
that said, I have used various data.inis (suspension, tyres ect...) as well as the sounds from Kunos' AE86. Of course these assets will be properly adapted and edited to suit my mesh. I'd like to upload it here when it's done, so I wanted to clarify if use of these assets in such a way is allowed or not:D
You can use the sound of kunos, I think they stated that some time

View attachment 240783 View attachment 240784
You can use the sound of kunos, I think they stated that some time

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea