1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

WTCC Wing setting?

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Arne Dopudja, May 9, 2014.

1. Arne Dopudja

Arne Dopudja
    Leader of the infamous Chevy Gang.

So, I started with R07 on publics like everyone else probably. And only track that was running was Monza, sadly. So, in order to go fast, I reduced wing to 1 and since I was confident in my driving, I haven't used another setting since.

However, does it pay off on some twistier tracks?

2. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

I always set to zero regardless of track

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

I always found that the SEAT could be run with no wing. In other cars I usually have some wing and find that at most tracks it doesn't affect top speed, more the handling. Monza, no wing.

• Beer Beer x 1
  4. Arne Dopudja

Arne Dopudja

Started setting up with wing... Why haven't I done this before. I though the effect was negligible and topspeed quite reduced, but it totally pays off as the drop is miniman and grip is much more stable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've never run more than 3 wing on the 156 on any track. A bit off-topic but try setting -0.10-0.15 toe on the rear, really helps the car turn in.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  6. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

How will negative toe on the rear help the car to turn in?

7. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

@Bram Hengeveld That's the exact opposite of what I'd expect in a FWD car.

8. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Jep should be a positive value on the rear to achieve better turn in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Go ahead and try it. The rear wheels pointing outward makes the rear step out more, helps with the rotation. I can't remember where but I'm sure I read that BTCC teams ran toe out on the rear just for that reason, take the load off the fronts.

10. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson

yeh, positive toe. I mis-read your original post as although it says toe out the first value was negative :) So were all on the same page then

11. Arne Dopudja

Arne Dopudja

Toe in negative is actually toe out... Confuzzling. But no worries, I keep my rear toe above 0 in FWD and improve turn in with trailbraking, which also allows me to brake later. To each his own. :p

12. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson

@Arne Dopudja yeh double negative. Everyone should just call it plain toe and let the numbers do the talking :)

13. Mark Reynolds

Mark Reynolds
    Physics & AI Programmer

The wings on the WTCC cars are more for fine tuning chassis balance rather than adding any credible aero downforce, the real cars barely break even at overcoming the natural LIFT, thus drag and downforce whilst applicable are negligible, as a chassis balancing aid noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Arne Dopudja

Arne Dopudja

My point exactly. But without wing, I had to lift the frond of the car to balance it. Which is wrong, but I didnt experiment with the wing and that was the solution for the time being. Slow solution. Now with some more bump settings, my time on monza improved by almost a second, making it 1:59.192 or so in Quali. Whilst having a .178 slower sector 2. :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

Testing STCC2 at LeMans:
    Going from a wing of 5 to a 1 increases top speed on the no-chicane Mulsanne by 4kph.
    Put another way, going from a 1 to a 5 gave me better car handling but all the time gained was lost on the straight. It helped the most on the sweeping run to the finish where I don't think I would have attempted a pass anyhow.

16. Arne Dopudja

Arne Dopudja

Understandable. LM is also a flowing track with the straight so you really dont need the wing. I'd set it max 2. You could run with higher, but then you need someone infront to draft on the straight... which is achievable with a teammate, so if you play some team orders, you can probably get away with a teamed up duo of wing 3-4 cars. Or just hogging someones rear until the last lap and outbraking him at the end of the straight.