WRC | Loeb Dropped For Sweden - Breen in at Hyundai

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Nine-time World Champion Sebastien Loeb has been dropped from the Hyundai squad for the upcoming Rally Sweden event in February.

Initially planning to run multiple World Champion Sebastien Loeb for the second successive rally of the new season, Hyundai have today announced the surprise promotion of Irishman Craig Breen in the third i20 Coupe WRC for Rally Sweden - the 29-year-old stepping back into the WRC at the scene of his most successful WRC outing to-date.

“We have taken the decision to add Craig to our line-up for Rally Sweden alongside Thierry and Ott in a bid to field the most competitive package possible for the event with the best available options for road position,” said our Team Principal Andrea.​

He added: “We opted to bring in Craig based on his performance in Sweden in 2018 when he finished in second place, and the potential he showed in our i20 Coupe WRC last season.”

Loeb had a difficult opening round at Monte-Carlo last time out, trailing home a disappointed sixth overall in a rally where teammate Thierry Neuville performed faultlessly at the head of the field to secure a last gasp victory for the Korean brand.

Despite such a late change in personnel, Breen having not secured a contract to drive in WRC this year, has the good fortune of expecting to enjoy some seat time in the championship leading Hyundai ahead of the event itself - with a planned pre-event test having been postponed to potentially early February due to lack of lack of snow and ice in the region.

Loeb was originally scheduled to complete further rallies this season, but with the unexpected decision to remove the Frenchman from the current driving lineup, the future of one of the most successful modern rally drivers remains open to debate.

Original Source: Hyundai WRC

Got something to add about the world of rally? Head over to the motorsport sub forum here at RD and get a new thread started!

WRC Hyundai Rally Sweden 1.jpg

Well, just look at Andrea Adamo to see that the guy means business.
I mean, I still remember Andrea's face after the 2019 Wales Rally and Breen's poor performance in the post rally interview. So I really don't get why they didn't pick Mikkelsen instead.

Well, just look at Andrea Adamo to see that the guy means business.
I mean, I still remember Andrea's face after the 2019 Wales Rally and Breen's poor performance in the post rally interview. So I really don't get why they didn't pick Mikkelsen instead.

Adamo has pretty much straight out said why though. He "trusts" Breen, but not Mikkelsen. I think it's more a personal issue at this point.
Still, Hyundai keeps Mikkelsen around, he did recce at Monte in a Hyundai WRT recce car.

I don't know about you ... but Paul Nagle, the co-pilot, is after Phil Mils and Nicky Grist, he's a very good and funny:D English-speaking co-pilot.
He was a partner of Kris meeke, won with him in Finland, has the famous phrase "jeeesuss Christ Kris", and because of a bad notation (it was 3 left, not 5 left) crashed in corsega. Kris recriminated him. They are good friends but then they separated.

Loeb has nothing to prove, he's likely nothing more than a test driver in his own mind. He's the most successful rally driver of all time and considering most drivers/racing enthusiasts rate rally as the toughest test of driving ability, he's arguably the greatest driver of all time, period.

Side note: He also helped provide me with one of the funniest unintentional laughs I've ever had. Ken Block invited him to the X Games rallycross 1 year and he's quickest right from the start. He's got a 1 corner lead after just a few corners/1st lap with Tanner Foust jousting with Block for 2nd until Block blew a tire and the American commentator said something like "Now Tanner Foust is going to give Sebastien Loeb a run for his money" and I absolutely lost it :roflmao: It would keep popping into my head for about a week after and I'd start giggling like an idiot all over again, my workmates thought I was going mad!

Best line up is easily translated as:

"we want the best driver to make sure our other drivers are stressed just enough to give their best, and if they screw up...well we have multiples wanting their place".

As usual in this society, disgusting business practices are galore and people salute them for it, because they don't understand what happens, untill it would happen to them.

Loeb has nothing to prove, he's likely nothing more than a test driver in his own mind. He's the most successful rally driver of all time and considering most drivers/racing enthusiasts rate rally as the toughest test of driving ability, he's arguably the greatest driver of all time, period.
Nicely said.

For one 10RPM guy. :D

He`s getting really old for racing at this kind of level, that`s the truth. I`m sure he thinks he still got it, but everybody comes to that sooner or later. Anyway, hat off, that he still can keep up with the best.
For me best ever rally driver of the modern age.

Doesn't really look like Loeb can offer Hyundai what he was supposed to do.
Top three but to return a 6th place .
Hayden Padden would have been a better choice.

I'm surprised Loeb had Sweden in his calendar in the first place, it's not a rally he really enjoys unless the conditions are perfect. This could just as easily be him not wanting to do this rally, especially since it will probably be more or less snow less this year.

Do you know whether Sweden will be canceled probably or more likely take place even on pure gravel? Will the tire sets be changed before it starts?

My sources say winter temperatures better hurry up now to have a frozen surface in time.

• Deleted member 387850

I'm a real fan of Breen, so I'm delighted he'll be getting some seat time. However, I strongly dislike this practice of swapping drivers in and out like this.

I'm not sure if it's the case, but it smacks of drivers having to buy a seat on a round by round basis. Too many good drivers and not enough seats! At this rate the next WRC champion will just be the driver who gets to compete in all the rounds!

I blame it on lack of manufacturers !
I man, really... since this year only Toyota and Hyundai and this... semi-Ford team.
I'm not some long time rally-expert but... was it ever worst than this ? :unsure:
Where are all the other great history-wise rally teams ? damm...
No one find this off road racing interesting anymore ?
Or should I say... important regarding car selling ?

Do you know whether Sweden will be canceled probably or more likely take place even on pure gravel? Will the tire sets be changed before it starts?

My sources say winter temperatures better hurry up now to have a frozen surface in time.

Not possible to run on winter roads with gravel tyres if the roads are not frozen. If they are frozen, they will use studs.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back