wp_cheat=

I finally found a way to identify the waypoints on the track. Now to work out how to make a meaningful adjustment. So if I click on a WP on the offending corner I can use the coordinates to search for that WP in the AIW file with notepad. And then? I am guessing here but maybe It is as simple as changing the value for wp_cheat=(0000). Is it lower for slower? Am I even on the right track here? I am pretty sure I cannot use the AIW editor to actually change the Race 07 file, It was intended for Rfactor.

Race.png

You can use it for Race07, no problem.
If there is a problem in a corner, try first to adjust the racing line before adjusting other things, as many things are calculated and overwritten by the program.

I see you have opened Bathurst aiw file. It is a very difficult track for ai. They adjust their speed to the racing line, but also to where next waypoint is. So if the line of the waypoints and the racing line are very different they will go too fast or too slow. I have found that moving the waypoints near the racing line in hairpins and other slow corners improves their driving a lot. The directions from one waypoint to the next (called perp) need to be recalculated after moving waypoints. The problem is that the racing line and track edges moves with the waypoints, so it is much work.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response, Andreas. I had to have a long think and then read again what you said. I didn't think about the idea of moving the line. I will have to read through the help file and figure out how to use this AIW editor.

One way to make the ai cars slow down in a tricky slow corner is to make a tiny s-shape (just a few pixels) in the racing line in the middle of the corner. It is worth a try.

1639248513699.png

Cheers, as soon as I figure out how I will give that a try. So one question, I move the Waypoint or adjust track width around the waypoint which I have been trying, and it's adjusting the AIW file, all good so far. So how do I change the racing line? is it calculated somehow. I'm missing something here.

1. Click on one waypoint where to start
1639251476843.png

2. Type "s" (caps lock off)

1639251577486.png

3. "c" and "v" moves selected waypoint (white +) one step forward/backwards, Shift + c and Shift + v moves last selected (yellow +) waypoint one step forward/backwards

1639251857228.png

4. Page Up and Page Down with and without Shift key manipulates the curve in different ways

1639252020053.png

5. When you are happy with the curve click "Create Curve"

As a quick note to explain the meaning of the wp_cheat parameter (to those like myself who stumble upon this thread in the future) it seems that the wp_cheat value is indeed (as Speednut suspected) a multiplier used to tweak the speeds through a waypoint. According to this comprehensive explanation of AIW files, anyhow. It seems it's calculated automatically as you edit the racing line, as Andreas says, but you could reduce the value after you've completed your edits to the racing line to slow the cars down at a given point. Note that I don't know for sure whether or not this value is used in SimBin sims -- for instance, the parameter is still present in AMS, but has no effect (see here).

As a side note, it's great to know that guitarmaen's editor can be used with SimBin sims like Race07 and GTR2, not just rFactor and its direct derivatives like GSCE and AMS. Yay! I hoped this would be true, but wondered if it would be incompatible.

And I'm trying to learn this blasted editor. No documentation and what little I find in forums is often contradictory.
There is some documentation!

For the meaning of parameters in AIW files, this is a good (although still work-in-progress) reference compiled by researching and cross-checking the Von Dutch AI Tutorial, many forum posts, and more. Although I think you have a good sense of this stuff already. :)
I took existing documentation provided by the original creator of the editor and cleaned it up, fleshed it out a bit, then posted it on the download page for the tool here at RD:
And if you prefer a more walk-through style guide, this post from @Speednut357 should help you out:

Feel free to @ me in any threads you start about questions you have about it. I've spent a decent amount of time with the editor, so I could probably help out. And even if it turns out I can't help, I'd be interested, as I could probably learn from helping you work through whatever issue you're encountering.

Last edited:
Thanks, saved pdfs of the last two (if you notice, the first contains data from me about AIW files).

It is mostly using the editor I'm having issues with. For example, once I click in an adjustment box how do I get the cursor out? And what parameter controls AI speed at each waypoint, I've read this is wp_path, but elsewhere read that is the offset between wet and dry lines (looking at values around tracks the latter seems more likely).

My current project is trying to correct an issue with Bremgarten in GTR2, the AI slow noticeably just past the S/F line (enough that low powered cars may downshift) then speed back up. There is an odd intrusion of the red (boundary?) line in this area but have been told that probably isn't the problem.

(if you notice, the first contains data from me about AIW files).
Yeah I know! :roflmao: After all, I'm the one who curated what's on that website ;)

For example, once I click in an adjustment box how do I get the cursor out?
I've struggled with this as well. I actually don't remember how to reliably get your cursor out of the box! :roflmao: I will check this later in the week. I think some combination of pressing escape and clicking on the black space around the track map should do it.

And what parameter controls AI speed at each waypoint, I've read this is wp_path, but elsewhere read that is the offset between wet and dry lines (looking at values around tracks the latter seems more likely).
Genuinely not sure. I'd say test it – create a backup of your preferred AIW file, try turning down the wp_path a long way, and see if it makes the AI slow down a lot. If you try this, please let me know what you find.

My current project is trying to correct an issue with Bremgarten in GTR2, the AI slow noticeably just past the S/F line (enough that low powered cars may downshift) then speed back up. There is an odd intrusion of the red (boundary?) line in this area but have been told that probably isn't the problem.
The red lines are the corridors (the boundaries within which the AI 'normally' race and try to pass), so it's probably better to move the intruding line off to the side. But what I would suggest doing is replotting a curve including a few points on either side of where the slowdown occurs – if the speed at one waypoint is too low, this should reset it to a "normal" value.

Lol, that's why I'm here. Trying to play with the wp_path and finding once I edit a value for one waypoint i can't get the cursor out of the box.

If wp_path controls speed it seems to be an odd equation where negative numbers are acceleration (more negative=more acceleration) and less negative is deceleration; whether positive numbers denote braking is unknown yet, there are few positive values around the track.

At Bremgarten exiting the last turn the wp_path values go steadily more negative, reaching around -2.2 along the mid pit area then over the next dozen or so points going to -1.14 then over another dozen or so back to -1.9. It is along this area that the AI are inexplicably slowing. But it is also in this area that the red border intrudes onto the track. There is one positive value (+0.3) in the middle of T1. I was going to try editing the values to be steady, or even continue a slight more negative, til the point where they were -1.14, then steadily take that to a smooth merge where it was back to -1.9. But unless I can switch the cursor between the map and the edit boxes I'll have to edit the AIW file manually.

The red boundary line entering the track can cause a slowdown, the other common problem than can cause this is a change in Z value (height). It is impossible to see in the editor. Looking at the values in the Aiw and manually editing can work but is difficult to get perfect. Another idea that has helped me is loading the Aiw in 3DSimEd. I don't know if it can be edited in 3DSimEd but it gives a much better 3D view and can be used to more easily spot errors. The AIW editor is terrible but it is all we have.

The red boundary line entering the track can cause a slowdown, the other common problem than can cause this is a change in Z value (height). It is impossible to see in the editor. Looking at the values in the Aiw and manually editing can work but is difficult to get perfect. Another idea that has helped me is loading the Aiw in 3DSimEd. I don't know if it can be edited in 3DSimEd but it gives a much better 3D view and can be used to more easily spot errors. The AIW editor is terrible but it is all we have.
When the z-value is causing the slowdown, what is it that's wrong? Is it that the incorrect z-value has put the waypoint underneath or above the ground, causing the AI cars to become confused and slow down? Or something like that?

Last edited:
The couple of times I came across this problem it was a small difference in height, hardly noticable. I think it happens at the start and end point, during Aiw path creation in BTB. Re-plotting the line in Aiw editor won't fix it. It is very rare, I have edited a lot of tracks and only seen this problem a couple of times. More common is when the original Aiw line has a slow down put in and the Aiw editor won't change it. Manual editing of the value is necessary, I think jgf already worked this out.

The couple of times I came across this problem it was a small difference in height, hardly noticable. I think it happens at the start and end point, during Aiw path creation in BTB. Re-plotting the line in Aiw editor won't fix it. It is very rare, I have edited a lot of tracks and only seen this problem a couple of times.
Okay, I see. Thank you for the info!

More common is when the original Aiw line has a slow down put in and the Aiw editor won't change it. Manual editing of the value is necessary, I think jgf already worked this out.
Right. And just to be certain, the value in the AIW you would need to edit manually to remove the slowdown is "wp_cheat"?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back