1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured World Rally RX Looking For All Electric Move in 2020?

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +13,106
    World Rallycross to go electric 3.jpg
    The FIA World Rallycross Championship looks set to move to a fully electric series in 2020, bringing an end to the flame breathing monsters of recent seasons.

Having just begun to establish itself once again as the pinnacle of off road competition, the FIA have reportedly made a brave move to switch over to an all electric series for the 2020 season, drawing the curtain down on one of the most spectacular elements of this wild and dramatic racing series.

According to Motorsport.com, a well placed source within the organisation has confirmed electric cars "absolutely, categorically will be the world championship" in time for the 2020 season, with as many as 15 cars set to take to the world stage in the refreshed series.

Expected to form something of an off the shelf attitude to parts and powertrains, the proposed 2020 WRX will offer a standardised monocoque and safety tub, with the option to fit different power units and shells to best represent the current models on offer from manufacturers who take part in the series. Although it is expected that "works" manufacturer teams will still play a prominent role in the new look championship, due to the nature of the availability of core parts, private teams will have the opportunity to buy equipment capable of competing in the championship, potentially opening the door to bigger and more diverse grids in years to come.

If electric regulations will form the whole of the World Rallycross championship rule set from 2020, or if the organisers will look to incorporate it within or alongside the current cars remains to be seen. It is expected that a formal announcement will come from the FIA within the next few months as tenders begin to be received for supply of the standardised parts expected to be run in the category going forward.

World Rallycross to go electric.jpg World Rallycross to go electric 2.jpg

For more from the world of motorsports, check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - go on, get involved in the conversation now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
    RaceDepartment Twitter
    RaceDepartment Facebook
    RaceDepartment Twitch
    RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think moving to an electric power unit is the right move for the World Rallycross Championship? Can electric power provide the same quality spectacle as the current series? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Haha Haha x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Lum

Lum
    Premium

Ratings:
    +115
    I expected this championship to be one of the no-go for the electric madness... Oh well :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. Filip Carlén

Filip Carlén
    Premium

Ratings:
    +278
    Probably not switching the main series, just adding an all electric support class.

However, RX is more suited for electric than say Formula E. No need for mid-race car swap, possible to charge while waiting etc. Gonna miss the sweet sweet sound though...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Matt Le Gallez

Matt Le Gallez
    AMS Club Race Organiser Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +280
    I know one thing for sure, if they do move to full electric in 2020, i won't be watching. These things sound awesome as they are! :speechless::sick::speechless:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  5. antirussia81

antirussia81

Ratings:
    +70
    Electric engines? This is just a half measure.
    Let's remove engines altogether and equip vehicles with sails! Wind powerrr! fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d253149028d9ce0fca9def3aaf63a.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Haha Haha x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. bogani

bogani

Ratings:
    +154
    Ffs, the sound is half the show when it comes to motorsport.

:mad:

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Beer Beer x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Grape-Juice

Grape-Juice
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5
    And people already hate WRX, lol what a joke

• Love Love x 1
  8. testdriver77

testdriver77

Ratings:
    +19
    I visited already two times Estering in Germany and i cant imagine this big show without the awesome sound and exhaust bangs! Fac.... this electric crap!
    The only place for electric drive are RC cars....

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 1
    • Haha x 1
    • Beer x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. hal4000

hal4000

Ratings:
    +271
    No more grid girls, electric motors in rally...... The end is near...

• Agree x 14
    • Beer x 4
    • Haha x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. el chasco

el chasco

Ratings:
    +17
    Nooo please!

Don't **** more the motorsports!

We need misfiring systemu!

• Haha Haha x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Dan Marr

Dan Marr
    Dan Marr - danfilm007 on Steam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +110
    Fantastic move - great way to show off electric cars with their instant acceleration characteristics - some standardised parts to keep costs more in checks and much more marketable for car companies so better potential for manufacturer entries - plus we'll be able to hear the drivers shout "GET OUT THE WAY YOU B*****D" :roflmao:

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. Copef1

Copef1

Ratings:
    +46
    Its like they are actively trying to make us all stop watching racing!

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Sky

Sky
    Premium

Ratings:
    +164
    it does at least make sense to do an electric rallycross series because the races are short. whether wrx is the right place for it is another thing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Strelok1909

Strelok1909
    Premium

Ratings:
    +13
    Finally these pesky sounds of combustion engines won't drown out the energy drink commercials anymore :whistling:

• Haha Haha x 7
    • Beer Beer x 1
  15. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +779
    well, for the track mentioned above, estering, it might solve their main problem: they are currently under threat of being closed due to neglecting sound pollution issues. it would be their main worry eliminated in one move. what a weird turn of events.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kevin Troschinski

Kevin Troschinski

Ratings:
    +5
    I am glad i was born in the late 70th, so i managed to watch at least 2,5 great decades of motorsport.:inlove:
    It´s sad the next generations will never know real motorsport at all, because of this electro-crap:devilish:. But this is how the world goes on.... thats the way it is.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  17. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +779
    don't see how using a motorized car to get to the finish faster than the chap behind you is not motorsports, but then again, it might not be about motor or sport at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. testdriver77

testdriver77

Ratings:
    +19
    This is a typical german problem.... to create bigger problems as they are.
    I mean this events are just for few days in the year so whats the problem... the locals also profit from that events and the noise backround is not so a big deal. But this is just my statement.
    When they really switch to this mentioned electric stuff so i will do not visit RX anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Pywackett-Barchetta

Pywackett-Barchetta

Ratings:
    +68
    It's not a day in motorsports without 3/4 of the comments section at RaceDepartment screaming that electric cars are evil and awful and suck and ruin everything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Matt Le Gallez

Matt Le Gallez
    AMS Club Race Organiser Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +280
    Personally, i think electric road cars are a great idea. I just can't think of anything more boring than watching a race with no sound! :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1